• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

2.8ohm clearomizers vs smoktech dual coil lr cartomizers - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
Hello everyone.
So I've only recently started trying to acquaint myself with the vast world of cartos, and I just have a few questions.
Currently I've started using 1000 mah ego batteries, paired with 2.8 ohm clearomizers, and they're almost perfect. I've been rotating a 5 pack I bought in mid-October, and so far only one has bit the dust, and I've encountered some technical difficulty with one of the others.
They're a little leaky from battery attachment at this stage in use, and I feel that the entire piece could be a little more sturdy. The heating coil/stand seems kind of flimsy, and I won't be surprised if I accidentally murder one later on.
The Smoktech Dual Coil LR cartomizers have definitely caught my attention. Is a 1000 mah battery considered an ok pairing for a cartomizer like that? I understand that the longevity of my batteries may be a bit shorter, but will it still be an alright vape?
I've read the thread dedicated to initial reviews of this carto made months ago, and I noticed some users were getting variable lifespans out of them. How long do these last everyone in comparison to the CE2s?
Like many I like rotating my flavors, and I think this helps each carto last a little longer. That may be one of many factors, but I've noticed that each carto benefits from a break.
Thanks.
:)

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I use the SmokTech Mega DC 1.5 and they're lasting 2-3 weeks. Previously I used the Boge SR and I believe the quality of the SM is equal to the Boges. Also like the fact the Mega SmokTechs take lots of juice. The 1.5 is a very warm/ hot vape though but I would definitely buy the SmokTechs again. 100 mah= 1/2 vaping on a Dual Coil so you'd have about 4 hrs vaping before recharge. I like to charge the batts when they're down to about 25%- they'll last longer. No leaks at the batt end but the first fill is important. I use the condom method and next the Taryn method and lastly drip a few drops in the top.
There are some reports of premature failure of the moffset on the batteries so in using the eGo I think the lowest I'd go is 2.0 ohms.
You may have seen this video review already- compares Boge to SmokTech 510 LR Dual Coil Mega Carto.
Good Luck, Vapoor.

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
Personally the dual coils for me are not that great at 3.7v/3.2v I find they really start to shine at 5v/6v

They actually have me thinking to try tobacco type juices again. An RY4 I have in my tank right now tastes amazing (never really liked it before trying it on a dual coil). Also the throat hit and vapour production are massive at the higher voltages.

MrLyle

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2011
Canada
Yup.

eGo Mega Dual Coil Using at 5v, so much better than on stock eGo or eGo w/booster

And this too

And even these tool

All of them are so much better on my 5v Big Kazoo

Forgive me if I'm talking outta my ... here, but 1.5ohm at 5 volts gets you 3.3amps and 16.6 watts. I'm no electrician, but isn't that enough power to blow the coils? Are you sure the Big Kazoo doesn't have a safety feature that lowers the power output to make sure nothing blows up? Because if that's the case, you're not actually getting 5 volts. I know the Provari and the Lavatube won't let you run more than 2.5amps through before you either get an error on the Provari or reduced power on the Lavatube.

Can anyone with a bit more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong here?

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
Forgive me if I'm talking outta my ... here, but 1.5ohm at 5 volts gets you 3.3amps and 16.6 watts. I'm no electrician, but isn't that enough power to blow the coils? Are you sure the Big Kazoo doesn't have a safety feature that lowers the power output to make sure nothing blows up? Because if that's the case, you're not actually getting 5 volts. I know the Provari and the Lavatube won't let you run more than 2.5amps through before you either get an error on the Provari or reduced power on the Lavatube.

The Big Kazoo is a simple 5v box mod. It has no protection other than the battery protection (2x 14500's). It works and pumps out the goods so I'm really not complaining.

What I think (and just like you I have no real knowledge on the subject) is because each coil is 3ohms and its wired in parallel it is able to take the voltage and give 8.3 watts to each coil.

Again if someone knows more than me (which I'm sure they do) please correct me

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON

Dual coils work differnetly. For 1.5-1.6ohm dual coil, you have two coils running in series at 3.0-3.2ohms each, which a device that can test such things reads at 1.5-1.6ohms total. So basically, you you have double the amount of coils running at twice the resistance, but since they're both working together they work as if they were a large LR coil basically. Actual wattage doesn't really change; 3ohms at 3.7v is still 4.5 watts, you're just getting twice the coils doing that amount of work, so the amperage does change and they do produce more vapor because there's a larger surface area that the coils are vaporizing. Think of it like a toaster with all of those bands of heating elements running horizontally. Two bands will toast twice the area of bread but are individually still heating up to the same temperature.

Since they actually run individually at ~3ohms though you can push them past 6V if you have a device that can handle that kind of amperage because the individual coils can handle it.

MrLyle

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2011
Canada
Dual coils work differnetly. For 1.5-1.6ohm dual coil, you have two coils running in series at 3.0-3.2ohms each, which a device that can test such things reads at 1.5-1.6ohms total. So basically, you you have double the amount of coils running at twice the resistance, but since they're both working together they work as if they were a large LR coil basically. Actual wattage doesn't really change; 3ohms at 3.7v is still 4.5 watts, you're just getting twice the coils doing that amount of work, so the amperage does change and they do produce more vapor because there's a larger surface area that the coils are vaporizing. Think of it like a toaster with all of those bands of heating elements running horizontally. Two bands will toast twice the area of bread but are individually still heating up to the same temperature.

Since they actually run individually at ~3ohms though you can push them past 6V if you have a device that can handle that kind of amperage because the individual coils can handle it.

Thanks for clearing that up Mindfield. It's much appreciated.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
The coils in a dual coil are in parallel, each coil is about 3 ohm each, because you have essentially 2 paths for electron flow the total effective resistance is 1.5 ohms. You still drop your pv's voltage across each coil (cause they're in parallel with the batt) so if you're running 5v across a 3 ohm coil, each coil is drawing 1.7A or a total 3.4A draw off your batt. Dual coils are pigs when it comes to batt life and juice consumption and if you run them on an eGo batt with the 5 click - off mosfet switch it'll eventually die a premature death (the switch not the batt)...I love the Smok Mega dual coils and run them on mods with at least 1800mAh of batt...I have to ask though, I've pushed one to 4.5V and started to taste burning fiberglass (and it was gurgling wet)...it's now in the pile of dead things...how are you able to push them to 5 or 6V?...sure the coils can take it, but the bands of matting around the coils (I cut it open to see how it's built) can't.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
The coils in a dual coil are in parallel, each coil is about 3 ohm each, because you have essentially 2 paths for electron flow the total effective resistance is 1.5 ohms. You still drop your pv's voltage across each coil (cause they're in parallel with the batt) so if you're running 5v across a 3 ohm coil, each coil is drawing 1.7A or a total 3.4A draw off your batt. Dual coils are pigs when it comes to batt life and juice consumption and if you run them on an eGo batt with the 5 click - off mosfet switch it'll eventually die a premature death (the switch not the batt)...I love the Smok Mega dual coils and run them on mods with at least 1800mAh of batt...I have to ask though, I've pushed one to 4.5V and started to taste burning fiberglass (and it was gurgling wet)...it's now in the pile of dead things...how are you able to push them to 5 or 6V?...sure the coils can take it, but the bands of matting around the coils (I cut it open to see how it's built) can't.

Depends on the viscosity of the juice. Thicker juices won't wick to the coils as rapidly so you won't be able to push the voltage as high -- or at least not haul on it as often and have to give it more time to wick enough juice for another drag. Thicker juices will also foul the coils more rapidly, and at higher voltages more rapidly still, so overall lifespan will drop considerably at 5-6V too. Thinner, relatively clear juices will extend the life some, as will frequent cleaning in a mildly acidic solution (lemon/lime juice, vinegar, etc).

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places

I run 1.5ohm dual coil cartomizers at 6V everyday. I've gotten several weeks out of each one that I use and still going strong. They are designed to take the high voltages. As for the Provari and Lavatube, no thanks. Silver Bullet at 6V 's with a dcc is vaping bliss.

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
...I love the Smok Mega dual coils and run them on mods with at least 1800mAh of batt...I have to ask though, I've pushed one to 4.5V and started to taste burning fiberglass (and it was gurgling wet)...it's now in the pile of dead things...how are you able to push them to 5 or 6V?...sure the coils can take it, but the bands of matting around the coils (I cut it open to see how it's built) can't.

I haven't had any issues with it in the tank yet. But then again I do not use it all day every day.

Definitely don't have that issue with the dual coil atty :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread