2 Cats Died 2 Months Apart From Chemical Inhalation

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
On the diacetyl, it was found in one, single, sample in a trace amount about 5 years ago. There are no oils, per se, in the types of juices we use for vaping. Some herbals and unmentionables might contain them... dunno on that... but if you go to flavoring houses like Lorann's and Capella's they section water-base for vaping use from oil-base for other applications. I use a Bissell steamer on all my hard floors and have for the last 6 years. We have a house full of pets and I've been very happy with how clean and sanitary it keeps the floors. We're rural with well water and it fluctuates at times even with a water softener so I keep a spray bottle of diluted vinegar/water and just squirt the floor strip-by-strip as I pass the steamer over to avoid any streaking if the water iss especially hard that mopping time... but don't need it for germs as the steam gets those just fine.

Thanks for the tip on the citrus air fresh, I've used it in my trash can before putting the new bag in. It has a lid but I'm going to quit using it. BTW, did you check it out at SNOOPES? There was a nasty going around about Swiffer I think it (one of those mop wipes) was killing pets and turned out some really sick person started all that. But it had pet owners worried sick for a while. I still run into people who are repeating it.

Edit: Went looking because I also use orange furniture duster and its in several of my cleaning products so now I'm really confused:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2129809_organic-citrusbased-flea-spray.html
seems to be recommended precisely because it contains the offending ingredient?

then this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5502047_kill-fleas-oranges.html
says don't use on cats because it can be harmful to their skin.

I'm going to look further. Been using these products for many years and never had a problem with any of my cats. One's lung x-rays were, of course, full of "white" (being the flipped image) because breast cancer metastasized. While searching I did come across the gut-wrenching blow-by-blow on the Swiffer thing that's been debunked. Geez, what some people won't do. I'm going to try to find out about this on snoopes... learning about the jokes "I read it on the net." But upsetting people about their beloved pets is NO JOKE. Ugh, I just remembered... when I was growing up people used to rub orange peel on furniture to keep cats from clawing it. I used to do that too when I had 5 cats at once. It works. They don't like that smell. I guess that's reason enough to quit using my orange products. We eat oranges all the time... wonder about peeling them around cats.

Last edited:

krysti

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2011
IL
How did your chest x-Ray go?

Good news. My chest x-ray came back fine. I had one about a year and half ago also and no acute changes were noted. I still have some hyperinflammmation of the lungs, which could be due to my asthma. All my other tests came back normal, except for the toxicology - haven't gotten that one back yet.

Jordi is back home and doing very well - hasn't sat on the bottom of her cage once.

The more I have read, the more I am absolutely convinced the cause has been solved. That D-Limonene is nasty stuff for cats. I called Citrus Magic and that is indeed in it. Then our use of plug-ins with essential oils exacerbated the situation. It has been an extremely cold winter and it all just kept building up in the air with no fresh air for the animals to get to. I also found out cats metabolize things differently than humans. They have no way to process terpenes, which are in essential oils. There have been no long term inhalation studies of D-Limonene done on animals. Short term did cause respiratory issues after 30 minutes of exposure in animals, but not humans. It took 45 minutes for the issue to resolve after exposure. Imagine what it did to our cats with months and months of exposure with no fresh air. All you have to do is take a look at the pathologist's report to see.

As you all know, I have come up with every possible explanation to explain this, but it is the only one that makes sense. I will never ever use air fresheners around my animals again. I know people will say they have used them around their animals and they are fine. The thing is, animals are very good at hiding they're not feeling well. We never even knew Cougar was having issues until he stopped eating. If we hadn't had an autopsy done, we would have never known the extent of damage to his lungs. It would have been written off as congestive heart failure or pneumonia. Who knows how many animals are suffering and for how long and then dying because of what we don't know. Also, our place is relatively small and the fumes permeated the entire place.

Looking back hindsight is 20-20 as always. Saber started becoming more and more lethargic (another symptom of D-Limonene inhalation), which we wrote off at first to him being a little overweight and getting older. His breath smelled like ammonia which I mentioned to the vets, but none said anything about kidney damage which I highly suspect, as D-Limonene can cause that as well. That's the only explanation I can find as to the ammonia odor. Cougar had it as well, but not as strong. They both meowed or cried more near the end, which we wrote off to other things as well. Also, the day Saber died, he started twitching - classic sign of poisoning. None of the vets we saw during all of this ever mentioned possible chemical inhalation. Most just kept giving us antibiotics and a slew of other medications which not only did not help, but made things worse.

My only comfort in this is that I can help spread the word. To watch my animals suffer like they did was worse than anything else I have ever gone through. I am hoping as time goes on the flashbacks I am having will diminish.

We have still not gotten back the results of the chemical test; we should have them back on Monday hopefully. I will let you know what the results are.

krysti

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2011
IL
I've had a canary for 4 years and he sings very well. Anyone say coal mine?

That was the thing we couldn't figure out... why would the cats have issues before the bird. It's because different things are toxic to cats and birds. Citrus oil is not toxic to birds, but is to cats. The fragrance of the last essential oils plug-in we used must have had something toxic to the bird, which I suspect was tea tree oil.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Sounds like we learned a lot from this thread, I'll further suggest u use all media at your disposal to out the word out about D-Limonene. Face book, forums, Twitter reddit etc.... Ty for sharing your story.

Not a doubt in my mind about the coming results of your toxicity report, will have nothing to do with Vape.

Vapeing has been saved once more, as it usually is.... I'll Vape to that.

krysti

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2011
IL
Sounds like we learned a lot from this thread, I'll further suggest u use all media at your disposal to out the word out about D-Limonene. Face book, forums, Twitter reddit etc.... Ty for sharing your story.

Not a doubt in my mind about the coming results of your toxicity report, will have nothing to do with Vape.

Vapeing has been saved once more, as it usually is.... I'll Vape to that.

You're welcome and I plan on getting the word out any way I can. I have to take it day by day as, I'm sure you can imagine, this has been extremely stressful and caused me a lot of anxiety. I can't thank everyone enough for putting suggestions out there. I was in such a panic at first that, as someone suggested, I was even looking at the most innocuous things that wouldn't even make sense looking at how everything played out.

I also forgot to mention, I called the suppliers of our juice and they do not contain essential oils. Even if they had, they would have been in such miniscule amounts, this would not have happened like this. I never smelled residuals of vapor in the house, but the scent of the air fresheners was the first thing I smelled walking in the front door. It seems so obvious now.

krysti

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2011
IL
cats dying is always bad, this thread should be retired, it's just yechy.

I used to make everyone stop when they talked of animals dying because I couldn't bear to hear it. I feel guilty for that now because maybe if I had listened, I could have prevented it from happening to me. You're right, it is "yechy" as you put it. But, if we don't bury our heads in the sand like I always did, maybe we can prevent it from happening as often and that is worth it.

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta
lol, my cat likes my vape, what are you saying, you killed your cats with vapor? I don't even understand your post at all...

Vaping never killed a cat, if you feel otherwise, please show some proof instead of posting like an idiot and telling me I am burying my head in the sand.

Vaping never killed a cat, and that is that.

For this thread to stay on top is a disservice. LOL, my cat actually likes the vape.

You big tobacco shills should go elsewhere, if you do not wish to live with morals posts, and only wish to post of what you are paid to post, please start your own forum.

I used to make everyone stop when they talked of animals dying because I couldn't bear to hear it. I feel guilty for that now because maybe if I had listened, I could have prevented it from happening to me. You're right, it is "yechy" as you put it. But, if we don't bury our heads in the sand like I always did, maybe we can prevent it from happening as often and that is worth it.

Vlad Vapus

Feb 13, 2014
CALI
That was the thing we couldn't figure out... why would the cats have issues before the bird. It's because different things are toxic to cats and birds. Citrus oil is not toxic to birds, but is to cats. The fragrance of the last essential oils plug-in we used must have had something toxic to the bird, which I suspect was tea tree oil.

Yeah that's right Tea tree oil or Melaluca is good for us but deathly poisonous to cats. :( I have 3 cats among other animals and I have been vaping a while with no adverse effects on any of those little guys.

However I make it a point to not vape in close proximity to them and I never blow the vapor into their faces just in case something terrible is discovered later on in life.

They do love the smell of my e-juice though so its a challenge.

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta
UPDATE: AFTER ALL THE RESEARCH I HAVE DONE AND TALKING TO OTHER VAPERS, AS WELL AS VETS, I DO NOT, NOR DOES ANYONE ELSE - VETS INCLUDED, BELIEVE THIS WAS DUE TO VAPING.

Moderators should delete this incitful post, no one reads past the initial dumbness.

Vaping never killed a cat. If anything, birds would be sensitive. For this post to remain on top does a dis service to the community.

lol, the mods are quick to warn about lesser things, perhaps the retired ones should pay attention to real issues.

krysti

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2011
IL
On the diacetyl, it was found in one, single, sample in a trace amount about 5 years ago. There are no oils, per se, in the types of juices we use for vaping. Some herbals and unmentionables might contain them... dunno on that... but if you go to flavoring houses like Lorann's and Capella's they section water-base for vaping use from oil-base for other applications. I use a Bissell steamer on all my hard floors and have for the last 6 years. We have a house full of pets and I've been very happy with how clean and sanitary it keeps the floors. We're rural with well water and it fluctuates at times even with a water softener so I keep a spray bottle of diluted vinegar/water and just squirt the floor strip-by-strip as I pass the steamer over to avoid any streaking if the water iss especially hard that mopping time... but don't need it for germs as the steam gets those just fine.

Thanks for the tip on the citrus air fresh, I've used it in my trash can before putting the new bag in. It has a lid but I'm going to quit using it. BTW, did you check it out at SNOOPES? There was a nasty going around about Swiffer I think it (one of those mop wipes) was killing pets and turned out some really sick person started all that. But it had pet owners worried sick for a while. I still run into people who are repeating it.

Edit: Went looking because I also use orange furniture duster and its in several of my cleaning products so now I'm really confused:

How to Make Organic Citrus-Based Flea Spray | eHow
seems to be recommended precisely because it contains the offending ingredient?

then this:
How to Kill Fleas With Oranges | eHow
says don't use on cats because it can be harmful to their skin.

I'm going to look further. Been using these products for many years and never had a problem with any of my cats. One's lung x-rays were, of course, full of "white" (being the flipped image) because breast cancer metastasized. While searching I did come across the gut-wrenching blow-by-blow on the Swiffer thing that's been debunked. Geez, what some people won't do. I'm going to try to find out about this on snoopes... learning about the jokes "I read it on the net." But upsetting people about their beloved pets is NO JOKE. Ugh, I just remembered... when I was growing up people used to rub orange peel on furniture to keep cats from clawing it. I used to do that too when I had 5 cats at once. It works. They don't like that smell. I guess that's reason enough to quit using my orange products. We eat oranges all the time... wonder about peeling them around cats.

I'm going to look further. Been using these products for many years and never had a problem with any of my cats. One's lung x-rays were, of course, full of "white" (being the flipped image) because breast cancer metastasized. While searching I did come across the gut-wrenching blow-by-blow on the Swiffer thing that's been debunked. Geez, what some people won't do. I'm going to try to find out about this on snoopes... learning about the jokes "I read it on the net." But upsetting people about their beloved pets is NO JOKE. Ugh, I just remembered... when I was growing up people used to rub orange peel on furniture to keep cats from clawing it. I used to do that too when I had 5 cats at once. It works. They don't like that smell. I guess that's reason enough to quit using my orange products. We eat oranges all the time... wonder about peeling them around cats.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I would necessarily trust snopes. Just because no one has been able to prove something, doesn't mean it's not true. Having said that, I wouldn't necessarily worry about eating oranges around your pets either. This was an aerosol air freshener and plug-in with essential oils I'm talking about, and the cats did not have access to any fresh air either. By the way, the cat I had autopsied did not have cancer. I did look it up on snopes due to your suggestion to see if there was anything and found nothing.

Since I've been looking up air fresheners, I've also seen stuff about Febreeze killing animals. I have no idea if this is true, but have read studies that the "secret" of Febreeze is it numbs your sense of smell so you can't smell odors. Definitely not something you want to use around animals. If they lose their sense of smell, they will quit eating as they can't smell their food (which in the end my cats ended up doing). It's so unbelievable to me that manufacturers of products can do the things they do. I've also read air fresheners are not regulated by the FDA and that's why they don't have to disclose their ingredients and can put whatever they want into them. Again, have no idea if this is true. I do know if it's true, these products are putting something in them to alter something in me which, whether I have pets or not, I wouldn't use them. Crazy.

krysti

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2011
IL
lol, my cat likes my vape, what are you saying, you killed your cats with vapor? I don't even understand your post at all...

Vaping never killed a cat, if you feel otherwise, please show some proof instead of posting like an idiot and telling me I am burying my head in the sand.

For this thread to stay on top is a disservice. LOL, my cat actually likes the vape.

You big tobacco shills should go elsewhere, if you do not wish to live with morals posts, and only wish to post of what you are paid to post, please start your own forum.

You are right, I have never heard or have seen an account of vaping killing a cat. Maybe, instead of jumping the gun, you would have read my update on my original post or read through this thread, you would have noticed I do not believe, nor does anyone else, including vets (or my doctor, which I will post about and update on my original post) believe vaping killed my cats.

krysti

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2011
IL
Moderators should delete this incitful post, no one reads past the initial dumbness.

Vaping never killed a cat. If anything, birds would be sensitive. For this post to remain on top does a dis service to the community.

lol, the mods are quick to warn about lesser things, perhaps the retired ones should pay attention to real issues.

Oh, I see you did read my update. If anything, as a fellow vaper, you should be thankful of this post. I have done everything I can to try to find out the cause of my cats' deaths and my bird's almost death, even if it is vaping (from someone who is grateful for the alternative to smoking). Everything I have found out has pointed away from vaping, including what the vets say, my doctor says and evidence of things that point towards other things that make way way more sense).

krysti

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2011
IL
ask the mods to delete this stupid post is all i can suggest.
Update it all you want, its still sensationalism and it's been in the top all the time.
if you are not a shill for BT, you will ask mods to delete this thread.
sorry about your luck with your cats, but it had nothing to do with vaping, so why is this thread here?

You ask the mods to delete it if you want. To me, it points to the fact that vaping did not kill my cats, which is what you want anyway so why delete it? I came on here in a panic because I was concerned. I was looking at every possible thing as to why my cats ended up in the position they did, even if I have to give something up that I don't want to give up. Everything I have done and researched proves to me that vaping did not kill my cats or almost kill my bird. It wouldn't even make sense. As far as it being stupid? You're the one who is, I won't even say stupid, but "ignorant" if you can't look at something objectively that is so new and think it is not at least a possibility. I love the benefits I have had, as well as, my family and friends, of vaping, but I'm not going to pretend there are things unknown about it. Like I said before, all of the research I have done has pointed away from vaping and towards something else. I have no idea what BT even stands for. To me, this thread shows it didn't have to do with vaping, according to what I think after all the research I have done, all the vets I've talked to think, all the people I've talked to on here think and what my doctor thinks. I have since learned a lot I didn't know before posting this thread. So go ahead, have this thread removed if you think it would be best. I have had a lot of suggestions on here that have been immensely helpful figuring this out so I would like to at least follow through on updating everyone on the chemical test I had done which I should have the results back for on Monday. I can always start another thread though on the results without referring to my animals, no worries.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa

Did you ever consider reading the entire thread before writing in it it even a few pages back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread