3D Printing SS Liquid Safe???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Okay I was tinkering with Google Sketchup last night and learning how to do stuff, and I made a pretty awesome tank. Think the bottom of the Z-Atty-Pro... Anywho, when I got to reading about the materials on shapeways.com, it says that the Stainless Steel is similar to 420 SS, and it says it is not foodsafe. Does that mean it is not usable to get a tank made?

If not, is there any way at all to convert a Google Sketchup or a .dae file into something I can import to emachineshop software, to get it made in the right material?

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Well all of the stuff from shapeways says that it is not food safe, or for electrical uses and only intended for ornamental use. That is a cover all CYA statment (no law suits). Alot of knives are made out of 420 SS, so it is up to the individual I suppose, I personnaly would use one.
There is no way I know of to convert a .dae file to .ems, you will probably have to recreate it with ems software.
Dan

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
4xx series SS was developed to be a SS that was Easier to Machine/Fabricate. It generally has a Lower Carbon content than 3xx series comparable SS. Hence 4xx is not as “Hard” as it’s 3xx counterpart.

Just about any True SS is considered to be “Food Safe”. The problem is what is considered to be SS?

Most people in Industry consider SS to be an Carbon Alloy Steel which has at least 13% Chromium and 4% Nickel as there major Alloys.

A good rule of thumb is the More Chromium, the Better the Corrosion and Chemical Stability. The Chromium Percentage will max-out at around 20% because after 20%, no more Corrosion or Chemical Stability is achive.

For the Ultimate SS, many consider 18-8 to be the Best (18% Chromium | 8% Nickel). But 18-8 can be Difficult to work with. Very Difficult.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This is a Classic Example of what many people would Not consider to be a Stainless Steel…

From Sahpeways.com
---

3D printed stainless steel has a slightly pitted surface finish for that vintage, steam punk look. This material can be polished smoother for jewelry, structural parts, and antyhing in between. Shapeways 3D printed stainless steel is very strong and rigid with similar properties to 420 stainless steel, except it is infused with a bronze content of up to 30%. This gives some Stainless Steel objects a slightly bronze hue.

---

Because it’s Major Alloy is Bronze and Not Chromium, I would not call this SS.

Bronze generically is an Metal who’s Major Alloys are Copper and Tin. Both of which are Very Reactive and would be a Poor Choice for Anything in contact with e-liquids.

I cannot speak to the Safety of this Bronze Alloy used to do 3D Printing without knowing the Complete Alloy Percentage make-up. But on casual inspection I would Definitely say that this Alloy would Not be considered “Food Safe”

durgidog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
memphis, tn
www.thomasin.com
Because it’s Major Alloy is Bronze and Not Chromium, I would not call this SS.

Bronze generically is an Metal who’s Major Alloys are Copper and Tin. Both of which are Very Reactive and would be a Poor Choice for Anything in contact with e-Liquids.

I cannot speak to the Safety of this Bronze Alloy used to do 3D Printing without knowing the Complete Alloy Percentage make-up. But on casual inspection I would Definitely say that this Alloy would Not be considered “Food Safe”

Exactly, the shapeways product is NOT SS. I'm a metalsmith and I have seen the SS printed objects from shapeways and "pitted" is an understatement as far as the surface goes. The printing process involves metal shavings with a binder that are printed and then sintered in high heat, very brittle stuff. I would stay away from it.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

If not, is there any way at all to convert a Google Sketchup or a .dae file into something I can import to emachineshop software, to get it made in the right material?

I'm not familar with the .dea format. I use iges for exchanging CAD files between platforms. But you might do a Goodle search for dea to ___.

Here is a link for what are supposed to be dae to iges tools.

Convert dae to iges trend: IGES STEP Converter, Video Convert Master, Convert PowerPoint

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Don't suppose you could port the app to Mac? LMAO! :laugh:

If you are trying to get your drawing into emachineshop software, then it sounds like you will want to go the iges route.

From the emachineshop software FAQ's

Currently eMachineShop can import some designs in IGES and STEP and can import 2D DXF files. Most programs can export to one of these formats. You may need to make some adjustments after the import.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
From EMS download page:

Mac users: If your Mac has an Intel Duo Core you can install Bootcamp or Parallel desktop. Then install Windows and eMachineShop CAD.

:)
Dan

LOL Yea I have it in Parallels, I just prefer native apps. Switching between Mac and Windows always confuses me for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread