510 Atty break in period

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
I'm getting my attys from the same person and all but one of them will vape out the gate. These are brand new attys. He says NOT ONE person has had the problems I have and he sells a ton. I have 4 of them that they definitely fire up and sizzle, I put an extra drop of fluid on them and I have a full cartridge and I vape and vape and not throat it and not much vape. I keep trying and trying and I just don't get much out of it out the gate. I don't know if some people run across a break in period of an hour of trying or a day or what. I just do not get it. Then they get too hot when I keep trying and nothing is coming out. Yes, they are primed and yes my carty is full and not dry. I know how to vape. I've been doing this for 4 months now. I just can't get them to really do anything. He tells me it can take anywhere from an hour to a day. I just don't believe that. All my 901's I've ever gotten are vaping within minutes of firing up brand new. I just don't understand why I am having this problem with these attys.

Boredoftheworld

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Charleston, SC
I have four 510 atomizers, two purchased from a company in the states, two from China. One of the US bought atomizers has never put much vapor out at all, the other was very light (and consequently disappointing) for the first couple days as well.

Then I flooded it because I couldn't see if drops were coming out of the bottle while I was experimenting with dripping and after I cleared it up some of the feathery/nylony stuff below the bridge singed and I had to pull quite a few of them out (possibly all of them, I'm not sure) with tweezers and it vaped like mad for several days, now it's back to doing not much of anything.

Meanwhile the two atomizers that came direct from China were insane vapors right out of the box and I finally got over my atomizer envy that had developed from watching video reviews

newbutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My Joye 510 kit, 1 atty works great & is still going strong after a month,seems to get better as it gets older. The other one barely works.
Order 2 more cuz of all I've read here, from same seller,but these had a red band,seller calls them Scorpions. Worked good but had a horrible taste,one that would gag you. Tasted like a mixture of motor oil & cat turd. After 3 days of messing with them & no response from seller, I soaked them in vodka overnight,dried them another 24 hrs,then flooded them with juice. They work fine now,but I was ready to toss 'em.
I honestly believe the Scorpion is a knock off cuz they are a tiny bit shorter than the ones that came with the Joye starter kit & the threads are looser. I keep thinking I'm going to cross thread them. The ones that came in the kit have always felt perfect when attaching to the battery. That being said, the carts fit more snug on the Scorpion & they are working good now(today)
NB

randyc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2009
Florence SC
I always take mine and flood it good and put on a good full cart and then just let it sit and soak it up for about 2 or 3 hours. That's usually all it takes for me. I know how frustrated you are though. When I 1st started vaping I think I was too anxious and I tried to pull on them like an analog and would usually get a mouth full of juice. One other thing I did was to remove that little end piece on the ends of my carts. Stick a pointed object in the little hole and it pops right out. They are lots easier to vape that way.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
One thing to check is the ohms resistance on an atty. When they are new they should be close to 3 ohms if it gets much higher they are dying or junk. My last couple I rinsed them ...blew them and then loaded them with juice and blew out the excess and it helps. I also found if you have a new one that tastes like primer/stale tobacco, hand it to an analog smoker and let them go crazy for an hour. They think it tastes great and when they are done the primer is all gone.(special thanks to my aunt Pat).

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
New atomizers will not work well until the wicking system is functioning properly. Usually a couple of drips on the bridge, a full cart, and 10 to 15 minutes of soak the atty should take off running. Sometimes it takes a few draws before the wicking is functioning properly.

There are 3 types of atomizer failures, 2 mechanical and 1 electrical.

1st mechanical failure is caused by the wick getting clogged by liquid residue. The symptoms of this condition is higher than normal heat and lower vapor production. This can be cured by a good cleaning.

2nd mechanical failure is the nylon wicking threads burn and no longer connect the bridge to the heating element. The symptoms of this condition is higher than normal heat and very low vapor production. This is a fatal condition that is not repairable.

1st electrical problem is the failure of the heating element. This can be tested with an ohm meter to see what the resistance of the coil is. A new atomizer will typically have around 3 ohms. The higher the ohm resistance the worse the atomizer will function. The symptom of this condition is low heat and vapor production. This condition is also not repairable.

That's what I have learned so far.

Kevin

Jbugz

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2009
Plant City, Florida
New atomizers will not work well until the wicking system is functioning properly. Usually a couple of drips on the bridge, a full cart, and 10 to 15 minutes of soak the atty should take off running. Sometimes it takes a few draws before the wicking is functioning properly.

Kevin

I just got my 510 today, and am a total newbie with this whole thing, so I hope this doesn't sound too ignorant, but when you say to put a couple of drops on the bridge, do you mean the little clear/white pyramid shaped thing in the atomizer section?

Laoshu

Aug 14, 2009
AR USA
I am a new PV user and just got a 501 kit today from Innovapor (about 3 or 4 days for shipping - good). Even though I've read through a lot of this site and was prepared for a break-in period for the atty, I am very disappointed in the taste I'm getting - presumably from the primer liquid (I did try to blow this out of the atty). It's a very nasty oily taste :mad: . I am trying to intermittently puff the 501 lightly like a cigar at the moment to try to get rid of this taste, while sticking with my analogs at a lower frequency.

It would be nice if the retailers warned us a little more about this problem. I knew about from this site and am still a little upset. It is a disquieting thing to face giving up analogs, and all the more so when the first taste of the presumed substitute tastes like crap. For a person who had no prior knowledge of the primer liquid and break-in period for this product, I would guess the first reaction would be more than 'a little upset'.

Anyway, does anyone know a way of getting rid of this primer taste other than just vaping it away ?

thanks - Jim .... eeeeeeep ! 8-o ( my sound for a mouse = 'Laoshu' :D )

WVapor

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Memphis, TN
I have two kits and I only have used one atty from one kit for a week or better and it is great. The first few vapes did taste like burnt hair and cat turd, but after that it was great. About 10 minutes before the toilet water taste is gone. No biggy, just know to expect it and you will be alright. I just wonder how many people are not willing to go through this and give up. Either way....vape on.:thumbs:

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
I am a new PV user and just got a 501 kit today from Innovapor (about 3 or 4 days for shipping - good). Even though I've read through a lot of this site and was prepared for a break-in period for the atty, I am very disappointed in the taste I'm getting - presumably from the primer liquid (I did try to blow this out of the atty). It's a very nasty oily taste :mad: . I am trying to intermittently puff the 501 lightly like a cigar at the moment to try to get rid of this taste, while sticking with my analogs at a lower frequency.

It would be nice if the retailers warned us a little more about this problem. I knew about from this site and am still a little upset. It is a disquieting thing to face giving up analogs, and all the more so when the first taste of the presumed substitute tastes like crap. For a person who had no prior knowledge of the primer liquid and break-in period for this product, I would guess the first reaction would be more than 'a little upset'.

Anyway, does anyone know a way of getting rid of this primer taste other than just vaping it away ?

thanks - Jim .... eeeeeeep ! 8-o ( my sound for a mouse = 'Laoshu' :D )

Hello there!!

Just FYI, IV does provide videos and instructions on using a new 510. I am a relative newbie as well and was well aware of the break in period for the atty. It does go away, but having read everything on their site, I knew it before my 510 arrived in the mail.

I hope your experience has changed since you have had time to break it in.

Thanks!

NCC

oldienea

May 21, 2009
Yes, there is a faster way to get rid of the primer liquid.
Just give it a bath in highly concentrated alcohol. It will dry very fast after that, if you use 8O% or higer. If you haven't got anthing else, some whiskey or such will do as well, but a slight taste of this will remain for a while (no sweet liquor please). However that is still better than the primer taste. If you don't like that taste, rinse with warm water. Don't use any rubbing alcohol, it tastes awfull and it will ruin your atty.
After this cleaning the atty ist absolutely dry. Give two or three drops of liquid directly to the atomiser bridge and allow it to soak in for about ten minutes befor you use it. All new atomisers need a break in time. This varies from a few hours to several days till it will reach its normal vapor and taste performance level.
Happy vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread