510 battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKayne

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2009
Seattle
youcancook.today.com
What is the deal here? I keep reading about how BAD the battery life is suppose to be but we went out last night dancing and frankly, when I drink I smoked WAY more. Vaped away all night since we didn't have to go outside but only had to trade out ONCE on my battery. I went from a pack a day to maybe one a day and just vaping so I thought I would need to charge it MORE. Weird. Did we just get our hands on the best batteries ever??

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
My 510 batts have never lasted real long and now that they are older, even less.

I found a Cold Heat soldering iron (useless for that :)) and machined up an adapter out of some plastic and stripped the connector off a 510 battery and put it all together - DAYS out of a set of batteries hitting it hard!

Not as convenient as the stock batteries but for the lack of hassle swapping / charging all the time I'll deal with it. Now to machine up some more adapters for the 801 and 901 and I'll be set :).

Did I mention that the vapor is AWESOME :)?

gooney0

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Falls Church, VA
You may just be lucky.

My 510 came with two batteries. One the batteries is good for 1 1/2 -2 hours, but the other battery lasts more like 3.

I used to play with electric RC cars years ago. The batteries and chargers are not all created equal. You'd think they'd be the same voltage and mah but there is more to it than that. A friends more expensive battery charger made my batteries and car go much faster for much longer.

The batteries in E-cigs are a different make up than RC cars, but I think there is still some "magic" involved. A battery isn't pure electronics... it's mostly chemistry.

I think i'll poke around and see if there are any battery experts here or elsewhere on the 'net. There is a lot of debate on charging time, over charging, and topping off.

-Gooney0

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
You may just be lucky.

The batteries in E-cigs are a different make up than RC cars, but I think there is still some "magic" involved. A battery isn't pure electronics... it's mostly chemistry.

I think i'll poke around and see if there are any battery experts here or elsewhere on the 'net. There is a lot of debate on charging time, over charging, and topping off.

-Gooney0

The batteries in the e-cig are Li-Ion. The stock batteries incorporate a built in protection circuit. This prevents the batteries from being over and under charged. Put them on the charger and when the LED turns green they are charged. It does no good to continue to keep them on the charger. The protection circuit is designed to completely protect the battery from user abuse.

Kevin

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
My 510 battery lasts me for two days, and I'm a heavy vaper.

Of course, the battery I use for my 510 is an 18650, housed in a Chuck. :D

When using the regular 510 batteries, I'm lucky if they last an hour when I'm seriously vaping.

Bet you get a lot of attention with this one. I have some 2600mAh 18650's batteries for my Prodigy that also last very long time.

Kevin

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I agree with Kevin. I read exactly that info. a while back (Battery University?), and I quit leaving them on for hours. When it turns green, I pull them off. Haven't noticed any difference in run time at all. Wish I'd known that back when I first started.

My guess is that it is too much trouble for the manufacturers to write new instructions for the Li-Ions since they would have to be written then translated to English.

Kevin

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
My batteries are lucky to last me an hours.. and I get crappy cart life too. But a lot of that can be attributed to the way that I use my 510. I do primer puffs... I take long, hard draws, I chain-vape.. etc. etc.. And while I know that I could get longer battery and cart life if I changed my habits.. I don't care. I enjoy my habits and I vape for my personal enjoyment. So I'm not going to reduce my pleasure in order to reduce swap-out frequency.

Because when it comes to vaping.. it's all about ME. Me, me, me damnit!!! ;-)

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
LOL Angus. Shameless! I need to find a cheap adapter for my Chuck (have the 801 fittings, and I want to run my 510 but don't want to pay $15 for a stinking adapter... humph!).

Kevin, I'm sure they'll never invest in printing up decent information in the kits. I laughed about the last one I received. It reads:

Non-flammable. Can use in non-smoking zones, such as gas stations.

The Production of "smoke" is actually a vaporization of the water-soluble glue, and therefore the does not produce dangerous "second-had smoking" making it harmess to others and the environment. The MEC can be used in .....

Glue... really says that. Holy Hell.

This 801 instruction booklet says the battery is 3.3v to 4.2v and "typical charge time" is 2 to 2.5 hours and says it needs a charge of 8 hours for the first charge.

Sighhhhh

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
LOL Angus. Shameless! I need to find a cheap adapter for my Chuck (have the 801 fittings, and I want to run my 510 but don't want to pay $15 for a stinking adapter... humph!).

You should have gotten a 510 Chuck. Then you could use the 510 to 801 or 901 adapters. I believe those work much better than using an adapter from an 801 to 510.

I'd recommend to anyone using a 510 to invest in one of the battery mods. An 18650 battery on a good charge runs at around 4.2v, which makes a 510 really shine as far as vapor and flavor. Between that, and being able to vape for two days on a single charge, it's pure, unadulterated vaping bliss.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
Pondering getting another one. Chuck with a 510 would be sweet. arghhhhhh I don't do designs well. Maybe I'll have to steal something on line, ha.

Wish I would have snagged that Harley 510 Chuck this morning... that would have been fun!!

I'm looking at getting a Little Chuck in the wrinkled black finish. It looks sweet.

But we're wandering dangerously off topic here. :)

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I think it's fitting to discuss battery mods. The OP subject was about the only real dissadvantage that the 510 has, battery life. The high performance features of the 510 make it a battery and juice hog. The many different commercial mods offer a solution to one of the problems.

When I was using only the stock batteries with my 510 it looked like a battery assembly line. I was constantly charging batteries and having to swap out using 2 chargers at once.

Then I went to a nicostick and thought I was in heaven using a 510 that would go 4 to 6 hours on a charge. Now with the Prodigy I can vape 4 to 6 hours at 5 volts, which takes vaping to a new level, or I can swap out the switch and insert a 2600mAh 18650 and vape for 2 to 3 days at 3.7 volts on one battery.

There are solutions to the 510 battery life issue.

Kevin

RKayne

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2009
Seattle
youcancook.today.com
But...that is the funny thing. We don't need mods, out of 8 batteries (we have 6 left, sold a set to a friend super cheap) they all perform above par, according to what I read. And about that PCC, it seems we can get it to charge about 6-8 times before it needs to be charged (just looked over and I am green, lol...guess I can leave the house now). Maybe we did get lucky, and continue to do so. I like the simple design and so does my wife!

burney

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
i think with the manual batteries they tend to wear a bit quicker because your pressing that button and getting awesome long drags of smoke. constant dragging on mine will get me 2 hours of smoke. i too could last allnight i think with casual smoking in a bar.
anyways ill take a battery that gives me great hits for two hours over weak drags for 4 hours anyday!!! just buy a few extra batteries and have them pre charged and ready to go. auto batteries are really a tough smoke and i dont care how powerful your battery is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread