510 Cartomizers (Cool Rush) Initial Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Chapel Thrill
I haven't posted in quite a while, but...

I received my 510 cartomizers earlier today, initial impressions follow...

(If I have the time to do a full review, it will include pics and/or video.)

Packaging/Appearance

1. Each 5-pack of cartomizers comes in a nice white box with black lettering.

Front: ATOMIZED CARTRIDGE (5PCS)
Side: Dekand Inside (logo), SGS compliant (logo), Recycle (logo)
Top: Cool Rush 18MG (Sticker)

2. Each cartomizer is individually wrapped in plastic, and has two separate pieces of rubber (condoms) on each end.

3. The battery connector end of the cartomizer is silver/chrome in color (aluminum?), and there is a small sticker above it with the flavor and mg rating of the cartridge.

4. The cartomizer body is black, it appears to be metal (aluminum?) casing covered in a sticky plastic sheet/layer (can be peeled off).

5. The cartomizer body appears to be about 1/4-1/2 mm (or less) thicker than a normal 510 atomizer. I had to shave a way a little bit of plastic off the hole in my 2AA Box in order to fit the atomizer inside. After that it screwed into the 510 connector perfectly.

(This could also just be the sticker on the cartomizer itself, as it seems to be rubbing against the hole in my 2AA box.)

6. Each cartomizer is 1 9/16" (39.6875 mm) compared to a standard 510 atomizer and cartidge at 2" (50.8 mm)

Usage/Experience

1. I popped on my first cartomizer (Cool Rush -18mg) at about 2:26 pm and it lasted until around 5:00 pm.

10-15 puffs: Clean taste (not very much mint/menthol), decent throat hit, decent vapor.
20 puffs: More vapor, more flavor, just about broken in.
30-40 puffs: Completely broken in, good throat hit, good consistent vapor, better taste.
60-70 puffs: As close to full flavor as it gets, consistently satisfying vapor production and throat hit.
95-100 puffs: Still going strong, clean menthol taste but less noticeable throat hit.
130-150 puffs: Still decent vapor production, very little menthol taste and throat hit though.
150+ puffs: Just about empty, you'll either want to refill or throw away the cartomizer at this point.

2. A single cartomizer lasted me about 150 puffs of 3-5 second duration in the span of an hour and a half (About 100 of which hit like a freshly juiced atomizer).

3. The throat hit and vapor production were solid throughout the initial life of the cartomizer.

4. The flavor of the Cool Rush liquid in the cartomizers was slightly off to me, to test this I dripped pre-made 18mg Cool Rush liquid into a clean atomizer on the same device.

The cartomizers liquid was a bit flat tasting to me (more "clean" plain taste), it lacked that stronger menthol/mint taste (and slight sweetness) compared to directly dripping the pre-made liquid.

5. I have come across this taste before, and it was when I was mixing some Cool Rush flavoring (DIY) and the mixture was slightly off. This could also be due to the nature of the cartomizer itself (less flavor?), or of course it is always possible that my taste buds are just funky.

Miscellaneous

1. The "condom" method of refilling that was mentioned by earlier works great, but I did go ahead and pop the plastic top (mouthpiece end) off. There is no rubber or plastic stopper inside (like some kr808d-1 cartomizers), and the plastic piece does not want to pop back on (you can still use it without the plastic top).

(What you see on the inside is a small white funnel/hole with a blue wire sticking out surrounded by the white batting.)

2. I did go ahead and refill the cartomizer (holds about 25-30 drops) and hit just as good (if not better) than it did before.

3. There is no break in time required after a refill.

4. I would prefer it if the labeling of each cartomizer was on the plastic wrapper or the rubber pieces, as it's a bit intrusive on the cartomizer itself (tends to rub off and looks a bit unflattering).

5. At about 3.2v there is light flavor (25%) with cool vapor, at 3.7v there is a much stronger flavor (75%) and warmer vapor, and at 5v you get full flavor (100%) and the vapor is even warmer.

Overall

1. I would give these an 8/10. Each cartomizer provides great vapor production and throat hit throughout it's lifespan, along with flavor that is superior to standard liquids in most kr808d-1 cartomizers.

2. These cartomizers are just about the same as the kr808d-1's in design (aside from the 510 threading and no rubber stopper inside), they're great for people who don't want to (or can't - ex. driving) drip constantly or top off carts every 20 puffs.

I hope this little overview was both helpful and enjoyable to read.

aZ

Last edited:

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
Very nice review, Azure! Thanks!!

As far as the taste goes...Rob informed me that the taste could be a little off from the liquid since the cartos are sealed and the liquid is actually very fresh. That may have been what you were dealing with.

Also, the tops of these cartos are not meant to be removed so you probably won't be able to get the piece back in, but maybe you could get a 901 or 510 mouthpiece in there.

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
Azure: Awesome review, very detailed, I like that!

I have popped the top off 2 cartos so far. Wasn't easy being they are glued in, but was able to put the caps back on without problem. This is my only caveat with these, the glued caps.

You could try the condom refill method and wouldn't have to take the caps out. Just a suggestion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread