510 passthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menville

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2009
Arlington,TX
I see where suppliers have come up with a PROTECTED 10400 battery, I have searched battery suppliers from the places here to China for a protected 10400 with no luck..I had planned to buy several for back up but suppliers run &.00 ea plus shipping. I think I can do better if I find source..Got any Ideas where they can be found??

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I see where suppliers have come up with a PROTECTED 10400 battery, I have searched battery suppliers from the places here to China for a protected 10400 with no luck..I had planned to buy several for back up but suppliers run &.00 ea plus shipping. I think I can do better if I find source..Got any Ideas where they can be found??

I have yet to find any protected 10440 batteries. They are really too small to fit the PCB onto the end of the battery. So 14500's are the smallest batteries that have the protection PCB.

Kevin

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
I'm looking for a white manual (or actually I'd take an automatic too) WHITE 510 passthrough that does NOT require having a battery in it (I really mean to use it as a passthrough, hooked to a USB hub precisely so I don't have to use and meddle with batteries while sitting at my computer)

I'm not savvy enough to dice and splice one that includes a battery (then if my efforts don't work or I electrocute myself I have nobody to blame but myself, I'd really rather buy one that's store made as intended)

mainly it needs to be:
510, White, no battery

EDITED to add: preferably from within the US (from within Michigan would be excellent!)

(white because thats what the rest of my passthroughs are, its what my e-cigs are and I really like continuity, I have a personal 'hangup' about vaping from something that looks like some old 1970's car with a bunch of different colored cardoors and different again hood and side panels etc)

if anybody knows of an online store where I can get one, I am set to actually buy it right now (its just that nobody ever has exactly this whenever I am ready and want to buy)

I thought I'd post this right away (and if anybody knows please send me a PM I'm more likely to see that than I am to make my way back around to this thread, I have some forum navigating issues (due to poor eye sight and related, that sort of thing) and unless I want to just sit and 'roost' 'hawk' this one thread I'm liable to miss it otherwise.

I'll now go back through this thread and see if anybody's said anything about this already before I asked

Last edited:
I'm looking for a white manual (or actually I'd take an automatic too) WHITE 510 passthrough that does NOT require having a battery in it (I really mean to use it as a passthrough, hooked to a USB hub precisely so I don't have to use and meddle with batteries while sitting at my computer)
I think that's what I linked to in the post above yours, but i have not seen it mentioned anywhere else.

whistlrr

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Michigan's Knobbywristbone
I think that's what I linked to in the post above yours, but i have not seen it mentioned anywhere else.
when I saw what you had posted I rushed off to investigate.. which is when I started wondering if that site is located in China (the way the address thing is set up makes me think it might be, it seems that when a site is located in China they ask for your personal information, your address, etc in an unusual order)

If they are the only guys to have one I guess I'll go that route, but I wanted to see if I could order and get it delivered from the US first if possible

(I really hate to get tangled up in another "Sorry we're going to be gone for a holiday' thing or EMS or whatever "its left the China mainland.. but now your guess is as good as ours where it is after that" and kind of just sweating the whole Chinese made Chinese delivered, customs etc things)

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
PureSmoker.com has a stainless steel passthrough that is a real full time machine. It's a little more expensive than the others but it is worth it. I have one on order right now. It gives you a little more than 4 volts right at the atty under load so it really delivers a good vape. It looks just like their Protege which I'm using right now.

Kevin

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
Mine died. I was going to replace a wire once I found the short.

Turns out a chip on the board under the battery fried. Smelled burnt, and I do not understand why I didn't smell it BEFORE I took the box apart.

Anyone else with the fried board problem, rather than the wire? (Or am I just the odd-ball?)

Bjorn Toulouse

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Glasgow
Thought I would give one last update. My Joye 510 pass through is no more. I am using the parts to make mods. When I took the battery box apart I found the circuit board that is probably to blame. It has Pillbox 38 screened on it so I assume that was the producer.

If you are having poor performance with your pass through, of the same type, you might consider this fix. It is possible to bypass the circuit board and remove the battery. If you are comfortable tinkering with electronic equipment that is. You should visit the modders forum and look at the things they have there any go through the tutorials.

A better idea is to look at the pass through here USB Passthrough - . I don't want to suggest that you need to modify your equipment if there is another option. If your pass through is still in warranty you should contact the vendor you purchased it from and get an exchange or refund.

I have created my own pass through and it works like the one I bought should have. I believe that the problems I and others have experienced are a quality control problem because there are some users who have bought perfectly good models just like mine.

k
pillbox 38 is the original trade name of totaly wicked, the link you gave is

! "I think"

a guy called garry dibbley. he is on the TW forum quite a lot.

I have had a TW passthrough for about 3 months now, I use it in work.
Its OK but its not as good as a fresh battery IMHO
the other thing that is quite wierd is that you have to press the button twice every time you want the attie to fire :confused:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Has anyone tried this passthough from bestecig?

It just looks like a battery with a cord coming out of it, no inline battery or anything.

BE510|joye510 USB passthrough battery: 510 manual switch usb battery

The fact that there is no inline batt looks to mean this is a 5V PT, unless there is a resister inside. Looks like my greensmoke PT, which also is without inline batt, and is a MONSTER!! :evil: In fact, I can only vape PG juices with the GS because I think VG gets cooked into acrolein in it. Very nasty harsh acrid vapor with VG in the GS PT. Done the experiment many times and always the same with VG. I haven't measured the voltage however, so I could be wrong.

I would like to try a automatic PT, so I can puff while working with both hands. myPVshop.com has some. Anyone have experience with an auto 510 PT?

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Well, it took a while but I got around to buying the Puresmoker PT. Definately with the wait. There's been a lot of water under the bridge since I created this post. I built several nicosticks and knew I could never go back to a regular stock 510 bat. So I took the next step and got a Prodigy, a Protege, and now a PS PT.

The puresmoker PT is the best thing since sliced bread. All the other options require regular battery changes and battery charges. The PT provides about 4.3 volts right to the atomizer under load. This gives you almost the same hit as the 5 volt Prodigy. The good part is the hit never changes. It hits the same all the time as long as the power supplied is constant. I highly recommend it.

bdsimpkins

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Well, it took a while but I got around to buying the Puresmoker PT. Definately worth the wait.

But the PureSmoke PT price.....:shock:

I went the less expensive route for my 510 PT ($22ish) and what a piece of junk. Doesn't fit my vaping needs AT ALL. Not near enough consistant power (even with the in-line battery fully charged).

Those PureSmoke PT's look pretty awesome, though.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I'm inclined to think that the bad luck people are having with their 510 PT is just that: bad luck. I own about 5 of them, from 3 different vendors (TW, VTvapor, and e-smokytreats), and they all work exactly the same. The downside I see to mine are after about a day of vaping or so, the battery needs to recharge, and that takes about 8 hours or so. The vapor I get with them is about the same as I would get with a regular 510 batt. With mine the atty works without needing to press twice. I thoroughly enjoy mine.

I do find that the batt doesn't just die, like a regular 510 batt, but rather grdually loses strength. Perhaps the problems people are having is more related to the internal battery than the PT itself. Perhaps the battery is dying, or needs substantially more time to charge. I rotate mine and use one while another is charging for a day.

That said, I would one day like to have a PS PT. But I am not at all unhappy with my 510 PTs. OTOH, if people want more than the regular 510 experiennce, they will not find it in a 510 PT. It is the same vape with mine.

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
I'm inclined to think that the bad luck people are having with their 510 PT is just that: bad luck. I own about 5 of them, from 3 different vendors (TW, VTvapor, and e-smokytreats), and they all work exactly the same. The downside I see to mine are after about a day of vaping or so, the battery needs to recharge, and that takes about 8 hours or so. The vapor I get with them is about the same as I would get with a regular 510 batt. With mine the atty works without needing to press twice. I thoroughly enjoy mine.

I do find that the batt doesn't just die, like a regular 510 batt, but rather grdually loses strength. Perhaps the problems people are having is more related to the internal battery than the PT itself. Perhaps the battery is dying, or needs substantially more time to charge. I rotate mine and use one while another is charging for a day.

That said, I would one day like to have a PS PT. But I am not at all unhappy with my 510 PTs. OTOH, if people want more than the regular 510 experiennce, they will not find it in a 510 PT. It is the same vape with mine.

But doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of a passtrhough? I use the PT mainly so I don't have to worry about batteries, basically plug it in and vape. Why would I want to use a passthrough that requires charged battery? You can get Prodigy, Chuck, Xhaler, or one of the few dozen other mods that work with battery and have additional benefit of working without any cord attachment.

I've purchased a new PT recently that doesn't use batteries and works with several types of attomizers, including 510, even comes with electric plug attachment. It provides consistent power to my atty the moment I press the button. That is absolutely perfect for what I want from a passthrough.

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
But doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of a passtrhough? I use the PT mainly so I don't have to worry about batteries, basically plug it in and vape. Why would I want to use a passthrough that requires charged battery? You can get Prodigy, Chuck, Xhaler, or one of the few dozen other mods that work with battery and have additional benefit of working without any cord attachment.

I've purchased a new PT recently that doesn't use batteries and works with several types of attomizers, including 510, even comes with electric plug attachment. It provides consistent power to my atty the moment I press the button. That is absolutely perfect for what I want from a passthrough.

True that, Sar. And after I said those things about my 5 510 PTs, one died. Thought it was a dead battery, but it is the unit itself. I guess I'm trying to make what technology I have now work, rather than give in to temptation and cough up big $ for a PS PT. The one that died gave me about 2 months of 10-12 hour/day of rather abusive vaping. For about $10, that's not bad, although still being a noob to a good extent, I naively thought they would last longer...maybe even forever!! :lol:

The little dual-USB/mains 5V adapter unit from TAS died too, but that was about $4 including shipping...maybe the adapter dying killed the PT too. Hard to say. I think PTs killed a powered USB hub I was also using for a while, either with the 510 PT or my 5V GS PT (more likely).

It does look like PTs are quite a strain on USB ports. My 5V GS PT when plugged into my laptop USB port gives an overload error in XP. Read somewhere that this is actually a bug in XP, but it does go along with everything that has been stated here. Perhaps what we need is a USB/mains adapter that can really handle the punishment. I'm now using an old powered USB hub I had stopped using years ago...I don't think it is USB-2, but for now it is working well for PTs.

BTW, these are protected:

trustfire protected 10440 "600mah" rechargeable lithium-ion batteries 2 PCS 3.7v

Anyone else used these in the 510 PT? I may get a couple to see if they are still able to fit with the added protection change in length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread