The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

5v box mod with plug in recharge compatibility... Setting up to FAIL?

Discussion in 'Modding Forum' started by varalMCheelflip, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. varalMCheelflip

varalMCheelflip Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 13, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Ok so I have been pondering this as my next mod for some time now, and recently I found some prof that it could indeed work.

I have made a crude drawing of the wiring, I am by no means an electrical genius so if someone who really knows what they are doing sees something wrong please point it out

Let me know what you guys think, any help is greatly appreciated :p

Untitled-1.jpg

Bigger picture for those with bad eyes

[​IMG]

2. varalMCheelflip

Jul 13, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
  3. WillyB

WillyB Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2009
    USA
    Forget the tact switch, get a real switch that can handle AMPs, not milliamps. I don't see a positive lead going to the 'booster'. And your booster looks like a 3 pin regulator.

The charger looks right.

Here's a schematic for the TI booster.

Attached Files:

• 5v_o.jpg
      5v_o.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
  4. varalMCheelflip

Jul 13, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    The positive lead to the booster is through the momentary switch, should it not be this way?
    I thought about that as well with the tac switch and was worried because of this, Is there a smaller switch I can use that will handle the Amps?

the booster is this one from Electronic City, its a little pricey but I like the variable voltage

5. roadrash

roadrash Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 6, 2010
    Hillsboro NH
    Looks like it only has .5 amp max output.

6. WillyB

Oct 21, 2009
    USA
    OK I see it now, where the red wires cross, they are actually joined? Note in the schematic I posted connections are shown with the large dot on them. If that is the case then your LED will not be vape switch activated. It will be on when you use the boxes master switch.

The booster would not be expensive considering it's ready to go form, the problem is it's useless for our needs.

A Joye 510 for example will need almost 4 times that for 5V.

7. varalMCheelflip

Jul 13, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    I want the LED on with master switch (only way I know if it active before I draw on it)
    And are you saying that this booster is useless? if so, what can be used instead?

8. varalMCheelflip

Jul 13, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
  9. roadrash

Apr 6, 2010
    Hillsboro NH
    Look for the ptn04050c? at Ti. That is what a few peeps use for a 5 volt booster.

Edit, yup same thing.

Edie, edit. this unit has a real hard time with lr 510s. Additional trickery is needed.

10. varalMCheelflip

Jul 13, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    dont plan on using a LR atty, just a normal 510 atty or DSE 510 atty at 5v

11. roadrash

Apr 6, 2010
    Hillsboro NH
    Will work just fine with em.

12. cybervex

cybervex Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2009
    Southfield, MI
    Here is a pic of what it will resemble when you are finished. It is doable so you are not setting yourself up to fail. The pictured mod has a touch switch but you could just as easily use the tactile switch.

[​IMG]

13. varalMCheelflip

Jul 13, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    thanks cybervex, One question though
    What is the things at the bottom of the neg battery terminal?
    Are these necessary for what I'm trying to do?

14. cybervex

Jun 8, 2009
    Southfield, MI
    If you are using the TI booster you will need 100uF capacitors. It will list the recommended accessories on the spec sheet.

15. cybervex

Jun 8, 2009
    Southfield, MI
    I only made one of these because the TI booster is $15. You can get a sample from TI but only one at a time.

16. varalMCheelflip

Jul 13, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    any chance you can send me a link to those capacitors?
    also could you tell me how they have to be wired in?
    All this help is so much appreciated, i want to come into this mod without any unexpected surprises :)

Edit: Found them at rat shack, if you could still run me through the wiring that would be great.

17. cybervex

Jun 8, 2009
    Southfield, MI
    The part number for the TI booster is PTN04050. I have not played with them in 6 months. I cannot remember the part number. There will be a sample circuit diagram on the spec sheet.

18. varalMCheelflip

Jul 13, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    [​IMG]

ok so what I asume what you have to do from looking at this is, One capasitor between V-in and the ground AND another between V-out and the ground.

Seems simple enough

19. WillyB

Oct 21, 2009
    USA
    Not all caps are the same. There are many factors to consider. TI goes to great pains describing what is needed. Most things at RS are quite generic and overpriced.

You may want to read Nuck's excellent guide (same chip) that includes many specific parts links and adjust it to suit your needs. You may also consider his variable volt option. Many folks who think they have been vaping at 5V with some USB PT's are quite surprised what vaping at a true 5V feels like. I have found 5V with a Joye 510 to be a bit much. 4.2 -4.6V is my favorite range.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AXdaMZo4FKMVZGhqdnE4YnNfNDNjN2Q0cHBoZg&hl=en

Note you can skip the mosfet and just use a high quality, higher amp switch. And just because a switch like this 30¢ item has a high rating, 3 Amps @ 125VAC, doesn't mean it will hold up.

[​IMG]

20. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

actually for the booster it's 4 at a time, and up to 8 items total from the samples program

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.