5v box mod with plug in recharge compatibility... Setting up to FAIL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

varalMCheelflip

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Ok so I have been pondering this as my next mod for some time now, and recently I found some prof that it could indeed work.

I have made a crude drawing of the wiring, I am by no means an electrical genius so if someone who really knows what they are doing sees something wrong please point it out

Let me know what you guys think, any help is greatly appreciated :p

Untitled-1.jpg

Bigger picture for those with bad eyes

32460912.jpg

Last edited:

varalMCheelflip

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
The positive lead to the booster is through the momentary switch, should it not be this way?
I thought about that as well with the tac switch and was worried because of this, Is there a smaller switch I can use that will handle the Amps?

the booster is this one from Electronic City, its a little pricey but I like the variable voltage

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
The positive lead to the booster is through the momentary switch, should it not be this way?
I thought about that as well with the tac switch and was worried because of this, Is there a smaller switch I can use that will handle the Amps?

the booster is this one from Electronic City, its a little pricey but I like the variable voltage
OK I see it now, where the red wires cross, they are actually joined? Note in the schematic I posted connections are shown with the large dot on them. If that is the case then your LED will not be vape switch activated. It will be on when you use the boxes master switch.

The booster would not be expensive considering it's ready to go form, the problem is it's useless for our needs.

Stepping up from a lower to a higher voltage means that there will be a higher current on the input
than the output. For this reason, it is important to make sure that both the input and output
current limits of 0.5A aren’t being exceeded.
A Joye 510 for example will need almost 4 times that for 5V.

varalMCheelflip

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
any chance you can send me a link to those capacitors?
also could you tell me how they have to be wired in?
All this help is so much appreciated, i want to come into this mod without any unexpected surprises :)

Edit: Found them at rat shack, if you could still run me through the wiring that would be great.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
any chance you can send me a link to those capacitors?
also could you tell me how they have to be wired in?
All this help is so much appreciated, i want to come into this mod without any unexpected surprises :)

Edit: Found them at rat shack, if you could still run me through the wiring that would be great.
Not all caps are the same. There are many factors to consider. TI goes to great pains describing what is needed. Most things at RS are quite generic and overpriced.

You may want to read Nuck's excellent guide (same chip) that includes many specific parts links and adjust it to suit your needs. You may also consider his variable volt option. Many folks who think they have been vaping at 5V with some USB PT's are quite surprised what vaping at a true 5V feels like. I have found 5V with a Joye 510 to be a bit much. 4.2 -4.6V is my favorite range.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AXdaMZo4FKMVZGhqdnE4YnNfNDNjN2Q0cHBoZg&hl=en

Note you can skip the mosfet and just use a high quality, higher amp switch. And just because a switch like this 30¢ item has a high rating, 3 Amps @ 125VAC, doesn't mean it will hold up.

5019.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread