Help!! lookin to make a box with a usb recharge capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
It's not important, my KR charger example was to show that ecig battery chargers can charge normal batteries, not necessarily an 18650. That's why I wanted to know what 400mA charger the OP tried that did not work.

Hmm, I have the same charger (over a year old) and it seems to take at least 6+ hours with only one cell, and I never drain them completely. But although they have stayed in the same case there have been a few revisions to the circuitry.

First, I agree with you Willy, a small usb driven charger (200 to 400 ma) would be reasonable to charge anything up to a 1000mah cell. That would include eGo types, and the 14500. Trying to use it to charge an 18650 would be risky. Like me using my little saturn to pull a travel trailer (I've seen it done). Once a component fails, charger, battery, atty, then troubleshooting the problem is next to impossible with out a meter. You and the OP are different animals. No offense to the OP :) I believe you have a good feel for component capabilities and can troubleshoot battery/charger problems.

I'll say it again to modders, or those that use mods: Buy a meter and learn how to use it.

I have a pile of chargers but keep a pair of the trustfire two-slot ones out on the counter for the wife and I. With two in use they keep up with our usage. Since we don't totally discharge our Trustfire and Ultrafire cells, recharging doesn't take that long (usually overnight). I rotate my cells so only one (for each of us) is really low at a time. One slot is usually topping off a cell and the other slot is charging a low one. I agree that with 400 to 500ma peak, about 250 to 300ma average over the entire charge, would take a little longer than 6 hours to charge a single 2400mah cell. If the cells are 1200 to 1500mah 18650 cells, then 4 to 5 hours sounds "mathematically possible" for a single cell but "unlikely" for a pair of cells. One would need to know initial voltage and terminal voltage of the cells to evaluate the charge. But, without a meter, watch the little lights :)

Last edited:

NuMoNiC

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
SLC
The KR charger I was using was just a standard from madvapes. I tossed it or I would post the mah.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This does leave one lingering issue, what's a good small USB charger for a 18650 then?
Please don't say the one in the "fistpack" because I have 5 or so in the trash now.
I like the ones in the tekkeons (haven't killed one yet) but they are to big.

capecodjim

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Cape Cod
first off I know just enough about electronics not to kill myself and my soldering skills would be rated as passable....ya passable. with that being said could someone point me in the right direction to get started on building a box that would have the capability to charge the battery via usb? I found these boxes but they are usb out is there a way to convert it or is it more trouble than its worth?
4 X AA Battery Holder Box 1PCS 5V DC USB OUTPUT NEW!!! - eBay (item 150491211730 end time Dec-08-10 06:09:37 PST)

I really would like to make a VV bottome fed juice box that recharges via usb or mini usb. if any others have done this or if there is a thread you know about that deal with some or all of these things please pm me as I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help guys.

p.s I have already secured a few of the chips from the evercool VV as that looked to be the easiest switching regulator I could find and it was free so that was umm awesome. but I really don't want to use a linear regulator as I dont want to worry about a heat sink or any other heat related issues.

Check this out....

- Can use 4*AAA alkaline batteries or 4*Ni-MH batteries to charge your PSP GO
- You can also recharge 4*Ni-MH batteries from USB port
- Input: DC5V/400mA
- Output: DC5V/400mA
- Interfaces: USB+USB 5pin
- Comes with USB charging cable
- Batteries not included
- PSP Go USB connecting cable not included

sku_48470_4_small.jpg

I'm skeptical if it actually will charge NiMH's but I ordered one to play with and find out......

Yellowman1972

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Seattle
ya i ordered one jim a week or so ago when i ordered the fistpacks. just finished a tekk, just tied it into the usb out like chev did. there really is no room to add anything without taking a battery out. I am working up the dimesions of the enclosure I need. I never was 100% sold on the idea of 2 18650s, will probably drop one and tie in the leads with a wire to complete the circuit. I just want a bottom fed juice mod, that recharges via usb that runs off of an 18650 or maybe.....a 26650. Ordered one from COV just to play around with.

capecodjim

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Cape Cod
ya i ordered one jim a week or so ago when i ordered the fistpacks. just finished a tekk, just tied it into the usb out like chev did. there really is no room to add anything without taking a battery out. I am working up the dimesions of the enclosure I need. I never was 100% sold on the idea of 2 18650s, will probably drop one and tie in the leads with a wire to complete the circuit. I just want a bottom fed juice mod, that recharges via usb that runs off of an 18650 or maybe.....a 26650. Ordered one from COV just to play around with.

How'd your Tekk come out? I used the USB output also and it works great.

I tried to remove a battery and couldn't get it to work with just one. I put in a jumper wire where the battery was, tried each battery, tried another Tekk unit... I couldn't get to operate on just one battery no matter what I tried. I'm looking for another housing but it's not too bad with the juice pump just attached to the side.

One 18650 would be plenty with the USB charge. My mini-pump has a 14500 rigged up with a USB charge but haven't tried it with an 186560. The 14500 only vapes for a couple hours but with the USB charger (the same as my cell phone) I can always keep it topped off. I was in the car earlier and recharged the mini from the Tekk!

Maybe you'll have better luck than I if you try and take a battery out.... I wonder if they may have changed the circuit or something....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread