901 vs 510 vs 401 (BATTLE OF THE MINI ATOMIZERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
i remember there being a thread a while back about this. tried digging with no luck.

my personal experiences are only with the 901. but, since so many users are on the board nowadays (both new and old), i figured it wouldn't hurt to bring this discussion back. plus, around the time i took a break, the m401 was being touted as the 901 killer, as was the 510. but, the 401 had the leg up due to some issues with the atties. now suddenly the 510 is the top choice. why is this? what happened to the 401? and can the 901 still claim to be the industry standard?

everyone should post their experiences with these mini atomizers. post pros and cons. let's try and make this as in-depth as possible. if it gets long enough, we can make it a sticky. keep in mind this is not a discussion about full kits, ie batteries. we're only discussing atomizers. we already know ecig batteries are crap for the most part if you're a heavy vapor, regardless of the model. also, keep in mind voltage. some work better at high voltage and others don't (ie 801 is preferred at 5v, 510 at 3.7v, etc).

discuss.

Last edited:

HYDRO

Sep 26, 2009
P-Cola, FL
My 1st ECIG unfortunately was a Smoking Everywhere GOLD kit, wich was about 1 month ago & I have still not been able to get a solid answer as to what model it comes with. I got very minimal smoke & went tru all 5 carts within a few hours...

Now onto my 901 - I bought the 901 from dietsmokes.com with the full intention of having to buy several models before finding one that could replace smoking.... (Wrong) - I bought 901 & a bottle of Polar Mint Janty juice & haven't smoked since I got it 9 days ago... I was smoking 1 pack of Newports a day too.... (12years)

The 901 gives such lovely huge throat hits with such minimal effort...I ahve dripped & used carts & the 901 works like a champ with both. I have 2 batteries & each one gives me a good 3 hours of useage...

Like I said , I was going to buy 2-3 different models but I really can't imagine what another model could do better than what my 901 does... I got a pass-through (PT) coming along with 2 more menthol like juices...I'll be glad to post on how the PT works :)

If anyone is like me & thinks NOTHING can replace a pack of Newports a day , please give a 901 & a bottle of High MG menthol a try...;)

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Hi Dr. Fell,

I regularly use both the 510 and 901 -

It's not really a matter of which is better because each has their own strengths:

901 - great vapor, decent throat hit, great flavor

510 - great vapor, huge throat hit, less flavor

I tend to use the 510 more though even though the 901 tastes signficantly better because I find that the throat hit matters more for me in satisfying my cravings than the flavor. Others will of course think different and favor the 901. In terms of reliability - they are about the same, I have used the same 510 atomizer for 2 months and have 901 atomizers from almost half a year ago that still works.

Thanks!
Kevin

SKYYcamel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2009
Mississippi
Put a 901 atomizer on a MOD like the Adaptever, or my recently ordered Chuck, and you will be in vaping heaven. The 901 is unsurpassed in flavor and has a good throat hit and excellent vapor. IMO the 501 is a over heated juice hog with little or no flavor (yes I do own one). The 401 is a PITA due to it's tiny carts IMO (yes I do own one). :cool:

TheScrye

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
I wish I could really get into this discussion, but my 901 hasn't arrived yet. I have had experience with the 510, while the throat hit was good, I thought the flavor was lacking. After smoking hookah for so long to help swerve cravings at home... kind of works, not really though. I decided I wanted flavor, and the throat hit on the 510 was almost to much. I'm a light smoker, a pack every two to three days, sometimes more. So, my cravings are occasional.

After many reviews and scans of threads, the 901 looked to hit the target greatly. Plus it's so backwards compatible with the ks808d-1 equipment that I just couldn't loose. :D

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
I prefer my taste from my 401 at standard voltage, haven't gotten the adapter for the mod yet to try it at 6v.

I hated the taste of the 510, for the life of me I can't understand why people like it so much. I think they are confusing the harshness the things gives as throat hit. I also hate it for the obvious battery reason but mainly it just taste crappy. The vapor is fine but I could care less about a big fog of smoke that taste harsh. That said I do like the way the 510 vapes at 6v with the Magnum mod. The taste really jumps out at 6v and it mellows it right out.

Don't have a 901 to compare it to but when I got into this the 901 was the least recommended for my smoking style and habits. I do plan on checking out a KR808D-1 now that I found out that I can charge it with my 510 USB push in charger saving me a lot of unneeded expense with a full kit and yet another charger....

I think the reason people started to drift away from the 401 models was they started having battery problems with the auto batteries getting liquid dripped in them. People started dipping rather than dripping and they came out with manual batteries for that model which I believe will boost it's popularity back up. In my mind it is better than the 510 in every way, taste, throat hit, and battery life. I am dying to hear what others have to say that have put more than 3.7v to a 401 atomizer though.

Last edited:

Annastasia

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
Portland, Oregon
www.annstorer.com
I have all three models.

Overall, speaking strictly about atomizers, I'd say the 901 wins for me. Vapor's as good as a 510, with twice the flavor and still a great throat hit. My 901 atomizers have lasted me 4 months and counting...but that may be in part due to the fact that I never use them; the auto batteries I bought when I started suck too much. This isn't a discussion about batteries, though, so I'll leave that point alone.

The 510 is my daily e-cig of choice for its sheer reliability. Great vapor, crappy taste, but it wins out with the throat hit that I need for "smoke" breaks at work.

The 401...as stated above, it can be a pain. I love the taste, even more than on the 901. The taste on a 401 is different in a subtle way, a little smoother and less overpowering. It's only worth it though when I'm at home and have time to screw around with dripping/dipping, filling cartridges, blowing out atties, breaking in atties...the list goes on. The 401 is my favorite when it works... key word: "when".

TheScrye

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
I would say that after I get the long 380 mah ks808d-1 battery from V4L, the 901 atty will by far be the most pleasing of the three. The only problem I've heard in regards to the 901 is the battery, which is a problem the 510 suffers from as well. So, get rid of that problem, and life is ballin' with the 901 atty.

lol, I said ballin'. I feel like a tool.:oops:

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
yeah i'm strictly a dripper. got fed up with carts after my very first ecig, the 901, and found it irritating on the 801 as well. been dripping every since.

i'm going to be trying the m401 soon, so we'll see how that goes.

and that's a very good point, scrye: 901's and kr808s are pretty much compatible if there's airflow for the cartomizer to work properly.

yeah i'm not huge on the "throat hit" factor. never understood that to be honest. definitely more in line with snarky's sentiments about that. i'm a little surprised though that you think the 510 is mellower at 6 volts. i would've guessed the opposite true.

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
I would say that after I get the long 380 mah ks808d-1 battery from V4L, the 901 atty will by far be the most pleasing of the three. The only problem I've heard in regards to the 901 is the battery, which is a problem the 510 suffers from as well. So, get rid of that problem, and life is ballin' with the 901 atty.

lol, I said ballin'. I feel like a tool.:oops:

yeah i read about v4l's extra long manual battery. looked interesting, but why not just go a battery mod route at that point?

TheScrye

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
yeah i read about v4l's extra long manual battery. looked interesting, but why not just go a battery mod route at that point?
I don't know, they look kind of strange and almost janky... I guess the non-educated word would be. I like the idea of having a sleek looking product to introduce people to that works for what I'm looking for. Plus only 25 dollars, worth trying for sure. Also, after the cost of a soldering iron, which I would need for every batt mod I've seen, I would have bought the long manual battery. :)

We are talking about nicostick mods right?

jvapor

Moved On
Aug 11, 2009
Alaska
I own all three. The 510, 901, and 401. In my opinion The 510 is the best for throat hit, so so on flavor, good atty life. 901 is the best for flavor, so so on throat hit but the throat hit becomes a non issue at 5v, and slightly less atty life than the 510. 401 has so so flavor, no real throat hit, good atty life. The 510 is my favorite of the three for stock set up. The 901 is best for high voltage vaping. The 401 is my favorite for use in the car. However, the 801 is still my favorite for high voltage vaping overall. I would have to say that over all the 510 is the new standard due to all around performance, vapor production, and atty life.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
Ok, I'll take a stab at this.

I've got 401s and 901s, have not tried a 510.

401 atoms - 3 types I've run across - all take cigarette-diameter round carts so mouth feel is similar to an analog; lighter in mouthfeel than a 901.
type a) the dinosaur lungpullers - 2hole - narrow bridge or pointy bridge, opaque plastic gasket thingy completely around the base of the bridge up to the base of the bridge - 4 of 5 pull a lung up on a battery -better on a PT - 1 will only pull on a PT - of the 4 that work on batteries, they seem to work better with particular batteries. tossed in the drawer for armageddon stash.
type b) cromagnons - good draw - 2hole - wider, rounder bridge than dinosaurs, metal under the bridge, clear plastic gasket thingy around the base radius but doesn't extend in up to the bridge as on dinosaurs - also persnickety about which batt they are on - all work just fine on a PT, so mine are now permanently assigned to PT duty and armageddon stash.
type c) NextGen -4hole - the stars -best draw (harder than a 901roundtip, similar to a 901whistletip) - wide bridge, white plastic under the bridge and around the base radius, no gasket around the base. Some work better on particular batteries but all will work with all batteries - all are stars on the PT - these are my everyday all day atoms. Definitely a few in the armageddon stash.

Cleaning - easy - exposed atom makes blowing it out into a papertowel very easy, and battery contact is recessed below the threads which allows for complete cleaning of the internal threads right down to the innermost one.

Carts: - a pain - Cart inserts are teeny and a pain. If you have arthritis or are far-sighted, you will hate them. Straw mod works well. EVO cart inserts are much larger (oval with a tree-trunk leg) and easier to handle. Both inserts must be pushed up with a paperclip to get them out, then pushed back down with a paperclip and, if not an Evo insert, pushed back up 1/8th an inch with a paperclip to allow airflow and seat against the bridge properly.

Positives: most analog-like in handfeel and mouthfeel as well as appearance. Carts have a silicon stopper so easy to change carts and go. Withstand abuse. Don't mind the thicker, VG-based juice. Smaller carts help remind you what your intake is. Never had a 401 leak.

Drawbacks - Bridge is not protected if you drop it and can 'dent'. Carts are tiny - about 1 to 3 cigs worth - on a good day. small parts, so harder to handle, must dip instead of drip (but you can turn sideways and quasi-drip), seems easier to flood than a 901. 401 atoms seem to need a 'break-in' period, less for the 4-hole than then 2-hole, but generally 2-3 days before optimal vapor.

Compatible with: nothing (m401 aka EVO aka Pilot compatible with m402/403 only)

901 - I have two types - SLB from E-CS and unmarked from MFS - both styles have a raised bridge in a long tube - one is pointy (MFS), one is more rounded. both have metal up to the base of the raised bridge. Can't tell much difference in draw between pointy bridge and rounded bridge - maybe the SLB is slightly easier. Both comparable on a PT.

Cleaning: Atom itself is harder to clean than a 401. 901 has recessed bridge about an inch below top of tube, so harder to clean/dry interior of tube. 901 also has an extended centerpost on the thread side of the atom, so, again, harder to reach the innermost threads for cleaning.

901 carts: pull off the mouthpiece, and there's the filler, no paperclips required. Accept straw mods easier than 401's (more room for them).
Two types of carts available:
a) Round tip cart is much easier draw than a 401, and delivers slightly more flavor, but not by much. The round tip cart is slightly fatter diameter than a 401. A little Harder to hold between teeth since it's heavier.
b)The whistle-tip is a pinched together mouthpiece. similar draw to the 401, not as easy as the round tip. I personally do not care for whistle-tips.

Positives: cart holds 3x the liquid of a 401. Bridge is protected if you drop it. One piece, no tiny inserts. Easier to top off. Can drip. Didn't seem to need a break-in period. Large carts make it easy to marathon vape.

Drawbacks: harder to clean- 'condom' on end of fresh cart gets wet with juice so is slightly messy to remove before use (moreso than the 401 stopper). Round-tip collects juice inside the tip and needs to be blown out - no way to directly dry the inside of it off. Need lighting to see inside the tube to drip on the bridge. (is there another way I'm missing?) 901 seems to burn hotter than the 401. Not as conscious of how much juice you're really vaping.

compatible with: many mods use the 901 atomizer. I've read 901 carts can be used on a 510.

Vapor production: on both, using VG-based liquid, I get pretty equal vapor production. 401's needed a few days to break-in and mellow before optimal vapor. 901's vapor dropped off as battery weakened, 401's stayed right up there until just before the battery started blinking to recharge. Both show increased vapor on a PT. Can't speak for PG only vapor, because I cut everything down with VG if it isn't VG already.

Flavor: Seriously can't tell the difference in flavor on battery between the 401 and the 901. More flavor from both on the PT. More flavor when atom is cooler, and the 901 seems to burn hotter, faster with VG, so flavor dropped off accordingly. Then again, my tastebuds have only been off analogs for 60 some days and are still waking up.

Throat hit: what's that??? cause I haven't felt one (maybe because I use vg?)

Personal Preferences - Age-based = mature adult (that's a PC way of saying old as dirt)
a) at home, out and about driving, in public, at office, wherever I need to appear 'professional', when I want to count carts and limit intake, when I want a cigarette-looking device = 401
b) at the computer, 901 round cart (have I mentioned I don't like the whistletips at all? lol).

Overall winner IN MY OPINION for my agegroup = 401, 4hole atom

YMMV

Hope this helps!

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Having experience with all three, I consider the 510 basically indestructible. I've dropped it many times. I have dents in some of the megabatts. I have attys where the bridge has moved to the side of the heating element. I've had to re-center the heating element so the batt is not shorted out. The attys last forever compared to the 901. Darned if the 510's ecigs don't keep on going, seemingly no matter what I do to them.

The 510 PCC was not reliable. And after dropping it once, it had to be thrown in the trash.

I have to qualify my experience by noting that I haven't used any mods, other than simple cart mods.

But, ya know, I wouldn't want to divert anyone from their own journey...

Dave

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
I don't know, they look kind of strange and almost janky... I guess the non-educated word would be. I like the idea of having a sleek looking product to introduce people to that works for what I'm looking for. Plus only 25 dollars, worth trying for sure. Also, after the cost of a soldering iron, which I would need for every batt mod I've seen, I would have bought the long manual battery. :)

We are talking about nicostick mods right?

yes and no. there are other various mods, including mechanical ones that do not use soldered wiring.

and btw, a note to everyone, we're discussing strictly atomizers and not battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread