The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

A Huge Thank You!!

Discussion in 'Pay It Forward - PIF' started by Adja, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Adja

    Adja Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Jun 6, 2010
    I would like to thank my PIF family most sincerely for the outpouring of love that I received after mentioning my husband's heart attack.

    Thank you so much Cowboy!

    Awwww. :oops: Thanks, RIMP!

    Thank you so much Jules. That means a lot!!

    Thank you btngchck! That is so kind of you! I am okay for supplies right now, but your offer is much appreciated!!

    Awww Missy, thank you so much! I am grateful to have met you too!

    Thank you very much basementcat!

    Thanks so much smilin! Your kindness is appreciated! :)

    Thanks so much GKK! I appreciate that!

    Thanks Big Chief!!

    Thank you Lilacs! I appreciate that!

    Thank you so much Clumsy!

    It has been a long hard week. It started last Sunday about 11am. Hubby started having pains in his chest, and was sweating a lot. He took an aspirin, and we got him to the hospital. The ER doctors confirmed that he was having a heart attack. They almost immediately rushed him into OR where there did an Angioplasty (placing a stent in the clogged blood vessel) through an incision in the groin.

    They told me the procedure would take about one hour when they took him in, then after about 30 minutes a tech came out and said that they were almost done, and he was going to be just fine, then NO NEWS for another hour and a half. I was freaking out in the waiting area, pacing and crying, wondering what the hell was going on for so long. A nurse finally saw the state that I was in, and went into the surgical area to find out what was happening. She came back and explained that they were applying pressure to stop the bleeding, but she made it sound very minor, so I was a little calmer; but it was still another hour before the surgeon finally came out to talk to me. He apologized for knicking a blood vessel, and explained that there was a hematoma there that would take time to resolve itself, but that he would be okay.

    By Tuesday, the pain in the area of the hematoma was so extreme that they took him down for an ultrasound of the area to see if there was still bleeding going on inside. They discovered what they called a pseudo-aneurism (sp?), which is a bulge in a blood vessel that must be repaired either surgically, or with a new technique that involves injecting a fibrous material (which is not yet approved by the FDA) directly into the aneurism to fill it up and prevent the blood from being able to go there. Each method has it's own inherant dangers, of course. The doctors waffled back and forth, then finally decided to go with the injection, but to have the OR ready to go in case they needed to rush him in there (one of the dangers of the injection is that a blood clot might just detach itself and shoot down into a foot, which would then require surgery).

    Wednesday they did another ultrasound of the area, and decided that the injection had been successful, and that he could go home.

    So, he came home with six prescriptions and a special diet plan (low fat, low cholesterol and low sodium). This has been pretty challenging, because it is just the two of us, so I am the 24 hour nurse. He can't get comfortable, so he is crabby. I am a complete and utter failure as a cook. I mean REALLY TERRIBLE, but I am learning.

    Then yesterday we had another scare. When we changed his bandage we found infection. I called the doctor, who of course was not in the office on Saturday. His partner was the doctor-on-call, who advised that we take him back into the ER because the infection would need to be scanned and possibly drained.

    By this time, my poor hubby was convinced that he was going to die, because it was the third complication after what is a very common surgery. That was stressful! I did my best to convince him (and myself) that he was going to be okay while we waited endlessly for the bloodwork and ultrasound results. Then they took him back to ultrasound again for more photos, and finally after hours and hours they came in and said that the infection was still minor and confined to the upper skin layers, and had not penetrated into the inner tissue. The whole time that we were waiting they had him on an IV with antibiotics in it, so they let that finish up and sent us home with two more prescriptions.

    So, it has been a long hard road already, and it will be quite a while before the hematoma fully resolves itself. It was 10cm when we left the hospital, which is pretty big. My poor hubby is a mass of bruises. His entire side from about 8" above the waistline to well below the knee is black and blue, and his leg is still swollen to nearly twice it's normal size. His one foot will not even fit into his shoe.

    I am trying to snatch small naps when he is napping, but we are both exhausted, because he can't sleep for very long when he is so uncomfortable.

    But hopefully, we are now on track for his recovery. :)

    I have been trying to check for messages occasionally, but this is the first time I have really had time to sit down and respond to all of the posts, and I just want all of you to know how much we appreciate your kind words and prayers! The sheer number of posts and PM's was amazing, and very touching. I must admit to tearing up when I saw how many people care enough to stop and send well wishes and prayers our way.

    Thank you so much to everyone in my PIF family! You guys are the greatest!! :)
  2. keyzygirl

    keyzygirl ECF Guru ECF Veteran

    Aug 10, 2009
    Key West,Fl.
    Try to get some rest,You must be so stressed.I hope your husband will feel better soon and he can rest also.Your in my thoughts and prayers.Keep us posted so we dont worry to much.
  3. Darkwitless

    Darkwitless Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Aug 21, 2010
    Adja: we haven't met yet - but I read your post the other day and started praying - because it was my BIL's heart attack on July 25th & again on the 28th that caused me to buy my first PV on Aug 1st! Your hubby's journey sounds much like my BIL's - except he had the surgery not the filler in his groin - his issues have been so on "rare" side that he made my sister stop and buy a lottery ticket on the way home from the hospital!

    Hang in there. The first couple of weeks are the roughest! My sister has been ready to pull her hair out between their kids (13,9&4) and hubby being home for 4 weeks, I thought for sure their happy marriage was going to end in her killing his grumpy butt!

    When you have time sit down and b r e a t h. His heart attack happened to both of you: kind of like having a baby. Only one of you gets pregnant but the baby changes both parents' lives forever.

    I feel like i have to let you know about a very common side effect of a heart attack is depression. My sister's college roommate is a doctor. If she hadn't given my sis the heads up she wouldn't have known because none of his Docs have mentioned it thus far and they are almost 8 weeks out.

    Anyhoo, hoping the rest of his recovery goes much MUCH smoother!
  4. jj2

    jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

    May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    I watched a friend recover from this surgery. He did and that was with only a 29% functioning heart. His wife has been through a lot with him so she learned a long time ago to pace herself.
    My advice is try to do that so BOTH of your survive this.
    Add my prayers to the list, and may each day be better than the last.
    Gob bless.
  5. UntamedRose

    UntamedRose PV Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Supporting member
    Mar 23, 2010
    Homeish now
    So sorry to hear about your husband Adja, but I'm glad to hear that he is recovering now.
  6. sensay

    sensay Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Feb 27, 2010
    Oh my goodness Adja! It sure has been a rough long road~ I hope it is smooth sailing from here~ Take care and if you need anything let us know!~
  7. skydragon

    skydragon ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Oct 7, 2009
    Mountain Cave
    Adja my thoughts and prayers are with and your husband. I know it is a scary time but it will get better as he starts feeling better.
    I would send you a casserole to help with the cooking, but I too am a failure as a cook.
  8. gramakittycat

    gramakittycat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

    Hi Adja!I just posted in ChitChat wondering if there was any word from you.You both have been thru alot in a short time!Do you have any local support available to maybe come in even for a few hours to give you a little break?I think meals on wheels does special diets also.I pray your DH has no further complications.Update when you can (((hugs))),GKK/Sue
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice