A new journey begins..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hafaza

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2015
WA State, USA
It arrived today, and Buddha is happy...

Buddha.jpg

Since I had time to do a lot of research I had a plan. After unpacking I gave it a brush of DeOxIt in the private parts. Mounted a 2 ohm coil in the RM2 and threaded some organic cotton through it. Arranged everything so it pointed the right way and slapped a fresh battery in. Grabbed my premix of just PG60/40VG and dripped onto the wick. Did 5 or 6 vapes (with more dripping) without inhaling then dove in. Cough, cough cough, throat hit. Hmm.

Continued on experimenting with variation of draw strength, length of draw, when to depress and release power, etc. Still to much throat it. So I changed my liquid to PG40/60VG. Throat hit gone. In fact there was no real perceptiable experiance to the vape itself, kind of just breathing. Vapor production was not great either. Soooo...

I decided that I need more vapor and warmer vapor. Tore the 2 ohm coil out and put in a 1.2 ohm (metered 1.4 on atty).
Coil.jpg
Yeah yeah yeah, my coils will get better :mad: Wicked it again with the organic cotton and then soaked it good with the new mixture. Vaped 5-6 draws again with no inhale then tried inhale again. Oooo,that was good! Tiny bit of throat hit but with lots of warm vapor. I had a good starting point. Made a 6mg/ml PG40/60VG and tried that. A little more throat hit but no issues, still smooth. I vaped that for a few minutes and noticed no nic effect. Soooo...

New base with 12mg/ml PG40/60V dripped right onto the wick. Little bit more throat hit. Vape that for a few minutes and feel nic effects. I think I have found my baseline unflavored juice. It took about one hour. :toast: I seriously thought, based on my previous experiences with "n00b" gear, that it was going to take days to figure it out. One (1) hour. LOL. You guys and gals have a secret here I think.

Things to yet figure out:
1) The adjustable 510. I can adjust it to correct the position of the atty but if the atty come off the REO the whole setting process has to be repeated? It does not stay in position?
2) Perhaps work on getting just a bit more vapor out of the RM2. I MTL so maybe that is not possible.
3) Start dripping some of those sample flavors I made at 5%. I have ten to try...

I feel that credit for my initial success on the REO goes to not only Mr. O"Neil for it's design and manafacture, but to a communtiy that is a rich resource. Thanks all of you!

I am afraid you are stuck with me now....:D

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Congratulations on getting it....and getting it tuned. To get a little more vapor out of your RM2, consider opening up the air hole a little. Lots of Reonauts do that. It's easy....you don't really even need a drill. I got a bead reamer diamond file from Walmart (Michaels; Hobby Lobby) and it was piece of cake. Really helped. Enjoy!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Congrats on the official arrival in Reoville, Haf :toast:

Things like coil resistance, coil placement, and air flow will all have an effect on the vape characteristics. Watch the vid(s) on RM2 building, if you haven't already for the perfect placement (you want it right at the edge of the deck and right behind the air hole for height) and I'd suggest playing with coil resistances before reaming the air hole (just because the latter is permanent).

The cool thing is the RM2 is great for experimentation - you'll get it exactly right in no time.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Re: the "adjustment". I find a given atty will always be the same on the same REO, even if you take it off and put it back on. The "variation" comes into play with different attys/REOs. In other words, some of my RM2's need a skinnier oring than others. Once you dial in a particular atty to your REO, it shouldn't change.

As Robert noted, there's generally no need to take the atty off the REO, except for maybe cleaning it every few months, or cleaning the REO on whatever schedule you think is appropriate. I usually clean my REO and recoil my atty every couple of months just because I think I need to clean it at least that often. Other than that, the atty never comes off the REO.

Hafaza

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2015
WA State, USA
Congrats on the new Reo and Welcome to Reoville. Nice looking coil. All of my RM2 had the air hole off set slightly towards the drain hole. Try moving your your next coil to the left a bit if your air hole is the same. You want to be able to see the coil through the air hole.

It is a bit off. The air hole lines up with the drain hole so positioning the coil to it would not be ideal. I have some extra rings in the package so I will experiment with them and see if I can get it to "unclock" maybe 15-20 degress.

Re: the "adjustment". I find a given atty will always be the same on the same REO, even if you take it off and put it back on. The "variation" comes into play with different attys/REOs. In other words, some of my RM2's need a skinnier oring than others. Once you dial in a particular atty to your REO, it shouldn't change.

As Robert noted, there's generally no need to take the atty off the REO, except for maybe cleaning it every few months, or cleaning the REO on whatever schedule you think is appropriate. I usually clean my REO and recoil my atty every couple of months just because I think I need to clean it at least that often. Other than that, the atty never comes off the REO.

Yeah, when after adjusting mine, if I take the atty off, since the 510 is reverse threaded it will back off until it it gets to the end of it's thread travel. It does not remain in position. Not really a problem, as Mr O'Neil noted there is no reason to be taking the atty on and off. So just need to readjust when that time come to remove and clean. Others note that it remains in position though, hence my head scratching.

Welcome to the mad house of happy vapers. Congrats on your new Reo. Cut an inverted V in your feed tube to keep it from suctioning it's self to bottom or sides of the joose bottle.

Ahhh, had not done that, will get to it next bottle change.

EDIT: Attempted o-rings to adjust the position of the air hole to center on coil, or at least mid way between the posts. Neither one one was acceptable. Other options? Sanding? That would mean it has to go almost a full revolution to get to the place I want it correct or does sanding back it off counter clock? Drilling? Crazy that this should be necessary :(

top.jpg

Air hole is located at about 11 o'clock in photo, just in front of that wick/over the drain hole.

Last edited:

Stringer63

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
KY
Looking at the photo, the coil looks to be shifted to the left (away from the drain hole). Try moving or re-mounting the coil so that it is further to the right and just inside the air hole in the cap. This will make a big difference for you. I also drilled the air hole to 1/16" to increase air flow. Good luck and welcome!

Hafaza

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2015
WA State, USA
Looking at the photo, the coil looks to be shifted to the left (away from the drain hole). Try moving or re-mounting the coil so that it is further to the right and just inside the air hole in the cap. This will make a big difference for you. I also drilled the air hole to 1/16" to increase air flow. Good luck and welcome!

Thanks Stringer63. I will try and rebuild it tomorrow with a new coil closer to the air hole, though from all I have read about the ideal positioning for the coil in relation to the hole, there is not a way to get there from what I have to work with. Does one have to go through this with every atty out there or did I just get one that was a bit more off then usual? Pictures do not always convey info well, so here is a quick paint drawing of the situation.

LOL.jpg

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
just unscrew the cap a few turns to expose the base of the threads, wrap about 4-7 turns of sewing thread around the base of the threads (creating your own super-thin spacer/"O- ring"). Try the cap, adjust the # of wraps of thread . . .. etc. When you've got the thread-count you like (air hole positioned), tie a half-hitch, screw down the cap and snip off the tails

Last edited:

Hafaza

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2015
WA State, USA
just unscrew the cap a few turns to expose the base of the threads, wrap about 4-7 turns of sewing thread around the base of the threads (creating your own super-thin spacer/"O- ring"). Try the cap, adjust the # of wraps of thread . . .. etc. When you've got the thread-count you like (air hole positioned), tie a half-hitch, screw down the cap and snip off the tails

Thanks for the tip. Kind of having a bit of a /facepalm moment with over $200 of vaping equipment being held together by tape and thread to get it functioning tip top. Will give it a go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread