A "real cigarette" taste...Recipe...sort of

Status
Not open for further replies.

djguido

Oct 27, 2009
Ok so I don't know if anybody else has done this but I will post it anyways. From being on here for a while I know that alot of people keep asking about tabacco flavor that tastes like a cigarette. The answer from the forum(from what I have seen) is that you never get the flavor of a real cigarette because your not burning anything. So I think I came up with the solution......Liquid Smoke. And it is working for me. I can give you the coponents in my mix but not the amounts, because I kinda eyeballed everything.
I went to the grocery store and bought some hickory flavor liquid smoke(made by WRIGHT). The ingredients in the bottle said :Water, hickory wood and smoke concentrate. Surprisingly the liquid is actually pretty clear. I thought it would be dark but its not.
So in a small dropper bottle I mixed some 24mg tabacco flavor and some 16 mg french pipe, a few drops of the liquid smoke and some VG to thicken it back up a bit. You can try different amounts of the liquid smoke according to your taste.And presto....tastes like a real burning cigarette....atleast the closest thing to it that I have tasted.
I like my sweet and fruity flavors too...but some times you just have to have that xxxxty burning taste ...know what I mean?:D

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Just be careful to check ingredients and how they filter the liquid (smoke will carry oils into the water for liquid smoke). Other brands have vinnegar, salt, sugar and a host of other things in it you don't want in your atomizer or lungs!

I ordered this last week after doing some research on line. Seemed to be the most clean form of liquid smoke available: Lazy Kettle

Link:Liquid Smoke

All Natural Hickory Liquid Smoke. No sodium. No soy sauce. Nothing artificial. Pure smoke! Did we mention this was salt-free? This concentrated liquid smoke is unique. Lazy Kettle Brand All-Natural Liquid Smoke's rich hickory flavor adds a wonderful, smokey flavor to all your favorite foods. When would you use liquid smoke? If you are cooking indoors, but want the flavor of the open grill, just add a few drops of smoke on your meat. A drop in the bean dip will add a wonderful flavor. We use it in ketchup for our burgers. Guys that like making beef or venison jerkey use our smoke in the seasoning. When you make your marinade, use smoke for that out of doors flavor. Add some to your store-bought BBQ sauce, marinade, or dressing. Liquid smoke is real smoke, and all-natural. Wonderful stuff! salt Free, and Junk Free! 5 oz.

I'm hoping it is sitting in my mail box today! I'll report back after I've had a chance to try it out. I'm trying to replicate a French Pipe e-liquid that is just like a cigarette (with no luck finding anyone in China that makes it any more) so I'm hoping this will work.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Really good find, ......

The ingredients on the bottle said: Water, hickory wood and smoke concentrate. Best of all, it's all natural—no sodium, preservatives, sugars or artificial colors. And it is more concentrated than any other liquid smoke on the market. At only 2 calories per tablespoon, it makes grilling guilt-free.

Wright’s Hickory Seasoning is made by collecting the smoke from burning hickory wood in a condenser and cooling it until it forms water, says Marge Broncaccio, a B&G Foods representative. The droplets are captured and filtered twice, before being bottled without any additional ingredients.

That doesn't sound too bad. Wood has moisture and the smoke would be a combination of smoke and water. I guess if you're only using a few drops at first and a sacrificial atomizer you can't go too wrong. Wonder what it would do to vanilla?

--Prof Daffy

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
I use Liquid Smoke all the time when I cook steaks. Basically it's smoke in a liquid suspension. They burn hickory, etc, and pipe the smoke in a condenser and the resulting captured smoke liquid is filtered to remove particles and then bottled. Basically, it's litterally liquid smoke.

Interesting idea. I may try this when my nic from Blip Labs come in.

djguido

Oct 27, 2009
I just kinda mixed some different tabacco flavors together and then added the liquid smoke. It makes a difference as far as taste goes. I'm not saying that it will taste exactly like your smoking an analog cigarette but it definetly comes closer than just regular tabacco flavor. I mean everybody always says that what your missing in the tabacco flavor is the actual flavor of burning something.....well there you go....burning flavor.

Hellen A. I think the flavor that I am getting is more like a cigar than a cigarette, cause I mixed this with french pipe. I'm gonna try some other things....but when you really want that smokey flavor of an analog....this is pretty good. And the ingredients seem safe to me....no oil or anything

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
..... - Do you know how much you added per ml? The website says it is pretty strong stuff. I'm really looking forward to mine getting here!! Glad you posted this.

I just wanted people to be aware that not all liquid smoke is a good thing to use. I have some in the fridge that is full of sugar and caramel flavorings with other stuff I can't identify. I didn't even bother to try that.

Wright's and Lazy Kettle are the only two out there that I know of that use a good technique with no added ingredients. The Lazy Kettle also uses Hickory and Mesquite wood for the flavoring, and Wright's is only Hickory. I'll have to pick up a bottle of that too to see what the difference in flavor is. Figured the worse case is I'm cooking with it and giving some to my Dad. ha I bought 4 bottles!

I have a french pipe that is killer smoky that I'm wanting to duplicate with this stuff. It tastes more like a Cigar/Pipe than a cigarette, but I've become very fond of it since it is the most like smoking a cigarette flavored liquid I've found so far!

djguido

Oct 27, 2009
Agreed Hellen, I like the french pipe liquid....has the most and best tabacco flavor to me. As for the ml of liquid smoke....I have no clue. I did it by adding just a little bit, dripped some on my addy and tried it. Added a little more until I had what I wanted. sorry I didn't keep track of the amounts. Everybody needs to "season to taste" I guess.:D

ricklovesnic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm considering making my own liquid smoke from tobacco, following Alton Brown's method using a bundt pan, a mixing bowl and a ziploc baggie filled with ice suspended over the top of a chiminea(sp?).

See around 9:10 in this video:
YouTube - Good Eats Season 9 Ep3 (1/2)

I will likely add in some tobacco to the combustibles and collect the liquid smoke for later vaping solution use.

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I will likely add in some tobacco to the combustibles and collect the liquid smoke for later vaping solution use.

In which case you'll be inhaling everything bad from a cigarette except maybe the carbon monoxide?

Not sure that's a great idea.

One of the key points of using hardwood smoke is that it's not toxic, whereas softwoods like pine are, and we all know that tobacco is.

kno

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2009
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
outback steakhouse uses liquid smoke to marinate their ribs, and give them the smokey flavor

word to the wise

dont get it on your hands - the smell wotn come out for days... so it will probably cause what i like to call anus-breath

also... if you want to see something really funny... slip it in a co-workers drink and watch them run to the bathroom

glad i'm no longer pushing the bloomin onion!

joe555

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2010
europe
Reviving an old thread because i think i've got something to add. Vaporbomb.com sells a liquid called perique black that tastes like it's pretty much made of liquid smoke, even to the extent that you wouldn't really want to smoke vape it on its own. I suppose it could well be used as an alternative to the actual liquid smoke if you want to add that smokey edge to your liquids. :vapor:

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
Reviving an old thread because i think i've got something to add. Vaporbomb.com sells a liquid called perique black that tastes like it's pretty much made of liquid smoke, even to the extent that you wouldn't really want to smoke vape it on its own. I suppose it could well be used as an alternative to the actual liquid smoke if you want to add that smokey edge to your liquids. :vapor:

Perique black is actually a tobacco flavor from Flavourart.

But, I just put in an order at Perfumer's Apprentice and they have hickory smoke in development now as a free sample. I got some of it, so I'll let you all know how it vapes:

Perfumers Apprentice - Flavors in Development

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
i might try it too some day - should be good.
perique black is indeed listed under tobacco flavours... but the prevailing taste is that of smoke. (to me at least)

Yeah, I love perique black. I've never mixed it straight up, just added it to other flavors like maple, cuban cigar and desert ship.

scfaster

Jul 2, 2010
NE WI
Just to toss an idea out here.. how about making your own smokey pg or vg diluent? I hadn't considered this before this thread, but I guess my first try would go something like this..

A small shallow glass dish with a shallow layer of VG/PG in a smoker or on the cool side of a fading grill with some smoldering wood chips on the other side. I would probably also put a cheesecloth over the pan to limit ash and to mop up oils as the smoke settles. If temp rises concern you, a flat rock under the pan might limit that.

As a cook one of my secret ingredients is smoked salt. They put blocks of salt in the smokehouse, then grind it and sell it. It works pretty good. My thought is that you could flavor PG/VG the same way if you limit oils, temperature and ash. I could see it adding some realism to tobacco flavors the way my smokey salt puts the edge on a burger or a steak.

I don't know if this works, it is just an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread