Status
Not open for further replies.

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
I have been using these units for about a month now, and decided it was time to do a review of them. I did receive a Screwdriver MK-1 from cavecom for the purpose of this review, but the MK-2 was bought out of my pocket. I took my time getting to know these mods, and have tried to be honest about any shortcomings that they have. Hope you guys enjoy this review!

Screwdriver MK-1:

Lets start with the basic facts. The Screwdriver MK-1 runs at 3.7v, off of a 16340 battery. It is available in a 901 or 510 connection, in a Gold, Silver, or Black finish. The Screwdriver has a bottom button switch, and is the first unit I have tried with this switch set up. After using it for a couple of hours, it becomes second nature. This unit is built very well. The threads are like butter, and the finish flawless. I received mine in a Gold finish, with a 901 connection. I've been using it with a 901-510 adaptor exclusively, and I'm getting about 4-5 hrs when I run a LR 306 on it. One of the best things about this unit is the form factor. It feels great to hold, and the button just works. Something I noticed is that the switch (which is replaceable) comes very tight, and takes some work to get off. It's not really a negative thing, but it should be noted. It's not very pocket friendly either, as there is no on/off switch, and nothing to stop the button from pressing down while it's in your pocket. You could unscrew the atomizer a few twist, but that's not always reliable.

Screwdriver MK-2:

Now the basic facts of the MK-2. Another 3.7v device with a bottom button like its predecessor, but with a couple changes. This unit sports 18350 batteries, and is only available in a 901 connection. Your option for a gold finish is now gone too. I have only used the chrome version, but the finish has held up pretty well. It's got a few nicks here and there from being dropped on the concrete, but that's to be expected on almost any mod when dropped on a hard surface. I find that the 18350 battery last significantly longer then a 16340. I get a average of 7 to 8 hrs out of it when vaping at the same rate as I do on my MK-1 (About 2.5-3ml of juice a day is what I vape for a benchmark). The threads are not quite as smooth as the MK-1 from the start, but putting a little petroleum jelly on them did smooth them up a lot. The Mk-2 also comes with a button cap, assures the button cannot be pressed down when the unit is in your pocket, which is a pretty big deal for me. I like a unit that is travel friendly, and this one fits the bill quite nicely.

Now let's talk about some of the similarities and differences of the two units. Obviously they are very similar units, but here is what sticks out to me the most.

1. The option of a button cap:
The fact that the MK-2 has a button cap is a positive thing for me. The same cap does not work with my gold MK-1. I have heard through the rumor mill that the black and chrome version of the MK-1 are compatible with the button cap that the MK-2 comes with, but I can't confirm that. Having the ability to pocket my PV and take it with me without worry that it will fire in my pocket is pretty important to me, as I'm constantly out and about running errands.

2. The threads/Finish:
You can really see the difference in quality between these two PV's in the threads and finish. The MK-1 has very smooth threads, to the point where they just glide into each other. The finish is immaculate, and there is no sign of flaw anywhere. This is not to say the finish on the MK-2 is bad, it's just not as nice. Same case with the threads.

3. Battery Life:

The added battery life of 18350 batteries versus 16340 batteries is awesome. And I can't confirm it with the equipment I have, but it seems that the 16340 drops off quite a bit faster than the 18350. This is comparing Ultrafire 18350 batteries and AW 16340 batteries. The same also applies for the batteries that Totally Wicked sells for the screwdriver. I think there mah rating (900 is what there rated at on the label) is pretty close to accurate as well, as they last easily as long as my AW 14500's rated at 900 mah.

Another difference is there is a o-ring on the bottom of the MK-1 that helps secure the switch assembly. Another thing that shows the higher quality of the MK-1.

They both have holes on the bottom of the unit to support the use of a lanyard.

(And Update after finishing the initial review)

The Screwdriver MK-1 has a sealed connector. The MK-2 does not. While I was taking picture of these units, I noticed some juice in the top part of the MK-2. It was easy enough to clean up, and I soldered the hole on the connector closed (so now it should be sealed). For me this is not a deal breaker, but once again should be noted.

Final thoughts:

I find myself using the MK-1 a lot at home, or when with friends. It looks nicer, and I don't have to pocket it. I also find myself not worrying about my battery life, as I have several extra batteries laying around. I have traveled with it, but I end up taking the whole battery out of it so I won't risk it firing in my pocket.
My MK-2 is my travel companion. If I'm worried where I am might damage a electrical mod with what I'm doing then I grab the MK-2 and head out. I've never had the battery die on me while I'm out, as I only have to replace it once a day, and that usually towards the evening.

I would compare using a MK-1 like smoking a fine cigar, and the MK-2 more like a everyday cigar. Maybe the MK-2 isn't as nice, but it functions nearly the same, and you don't have to worry about it breaking.

They both have a place, and are very awesome mods. If you want a reliable mod, then look no further. There's nothing to go wrong on these all mechanical mods, and that's one of the biggest pluses to me. Clean the switch and connector every two weeks or so and your good to go.

The Screwdriver MK-1 can be purchased through www.ecigscrewdriver.com The Home of an E Smoking Icon - Hosted by CaveCom

The Screwdriver MK-2 can be purchased through Electronic Cigarette | E Cigarettes | E Cig and E Cig Liquid | Totally Wicked E Cigs

Here are some pics:

Screwdriver MK-1 Taken apart with Battery and 901-510 adapter.

IMG_1393.jpg

Screwdriver MK-2 Taken apart with Battery and 901-510 adapter.

IMG_1394.jpg

Screwdriver MK-1, A look at the switch from the inside.

IMG_1399.jpg

Screwdriver MK-2, A look at the switch from the inside.

IMG_1398.jpg

Screwdriver MK-1, A look at the top section from the inside.

IMG_1400.jpg

Screwdriver MK-2, A look at the top section from the inside.

IMG_1401.jpg

Screwdriver MK-1, A look at the connector.

IMG_1397.jpg

Screwdriver MK-2, A look at the connector.

IMG_1403.jpg

Screwdriver MK-1 Assembled.

IMG_1404.jpg

Screwdriver MK-2 Assembled.

IMG_1405.jpg

Screwdriver MK-1 and MK-2 Together.

IMG_1407.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread