• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A sad day at our house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
I feel so bad right now. I've left Maggie alone in the dog crate all day - so she could calm down and be stress free.

I took her out a few minutes ago, with hubby's help I cleaned her up a little bit, tried on her saddle, it was a bit big but I went out and sat on the deck with her on my lap - as I was sitting there I noticed feathers under her chest were wet - it was blood. She has a HOLE in her chest. It just goes through the skin, you can see her meat under it - its a little bigger than the size of a quarter (or like the end of my thumb) I feel SO bad, I'm not sure how to "fix" her either...

Any nurses here??? I'm wondering about super glue, holding the edges together and super glueing it together.... but I don't know if I should do that or just leave it alone at this point.

Poor girl even laid an egg!

Ann

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Virginia
I feel your pain. We have lost several goats over the years to dogs and coyots and even a bear, and had our donkeys attacked by dogs. I'm so sorry about your babies. I love dogs but the people around here don't seem to want to care for their dogs as they should. We shoot them if they come in the pasture. We have the right by law to do that here.
About the super glue, I'm no vet, but I have used Super Glue to mend my own cuts. No problem. I'd say you can get on the net and see what you can find on the subject.
Doctors do use a super glue type stuff now to fix cuts.
It worked for me on my cut, just regular super glue.
I'm sending you a bunch of ((((hugs)))).

I'm saying that the cut I had was not a hole. Do you have some gaze and some antibiotic ointment, and some tape? that might help with the
large wound.

Last edited:

bmacva

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Any nurses here??? I'm wondering about super glue, holding the edges together and super glueing it together.... but I don't know if I should do that or just leave it alone at this point.

Wildsky, I'm a nurse, but not a chicken nurse :(

I'm so sorry to hear about your girls. It doesn't matter what kind of animals they are, when you raise them and care for them, they are your "children" and it always hurts. :cry:

If at all possible, please try to get her to a vet, as the wound could become infected. I can't really advise you other than that. Good luck and I wish all of you the very best. :)

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
So sad to hear about your girls Wildsky :( I totally understand your love for chickens. We had ducks when I was growing up.. and lost so many of our (very loved) duck pets to raccoons, opossums.. and dogs. One day a starving dog came into the yard and grabbed one of our female ducks. I was about 10 years old, and was close enough to see what was happening.. and I chased that dog into the woods, tackled her, and MADE her drop the duck! I can still picture the entire thing... 40+ years later. I just remember loving that duck enough that I didn't care what that dog might do to me!

I sure hope that Maggie will be okay! :wub:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
So sorry to hear about your chickens. :( We had chickens for years. We did raise a few chickens/turkeys for food, and I certainly didn't get attached to them, but the layers were well-loved pets with names and distinct personalities.

We had too many predators to allow the chickens to roam totally free. I had a large chicken area that was completely enclosed and included a hen house. They'd spend their evenings there, and days in the winter, they'd spend in our garden. (The garden was about 1 acre and fenced to keep out deer.) During the gardening months, I loaded them into a chicken tractor and moved them around the pasture. (A chicken tractor is basically a coop on wheels with no bottom so that the chickens have access to the ground and bugs.)

There's really no easy way to protect chickens against predators without putting them in some kind of fenced environment. I had one friend with a border collie. The dog took a shine to the chickens and spent her days out with the chickens, protecting them from predators and making sure they didn't get too far afield. I never tried that with any of my dogs . . . I knew what would happen, and it wouldn't have been pretty.

As for the wound, I don't know if I'd seal it up with super-glue. If the wound is at all dirty, you can wind up doing more harm than good by sealing it up . . . sometimes the wound needs to seep to get the gunk out. But, then, leaving the wound open causes its own problems. :(

In any event, I'm sending your girl warm wishes for a speedy and full recovery. :)

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
Thanks for the info!

Maggie isn't eating this morning, I made her some wet oatmeal, I'll wait till the kids are in school and I'll take her out and check on her.
I think I'm going to leave her wounds alone, I'm going to clean them out again today, try to clean up the feathers and then leave them to heal, I think they look worse when I move feathers out the way to LOOK at them - and I might be pulling the skin apart when doing that - so I'm going to do as I said above, clean them up again, and leave them!
I just don't want her to get depressed sitting in the house for weeks and weeks, in a cage... so I have to figure that one out.

I do have a dog that is a really good girl, an Australian Heeler, she goes out with the chickens often, but not without supervision, just because I don't want her taking off - she loves to sniff around and then just keeps walking. She's never gone for one of the chickens, she keeps trying to sniff their butts but can't get in close enough LOL

She breaks up fights between the feathered ones, we had ducks fighting last night, and Ginja (the dog) ran out to break them up.. she's actually really good at that!
We used to have two roosters, and Ginja could separate them as well without harming either of them.

Hubby and I wanted to get more fencing this year, just money is tight, but if we do I can fully enclose the chickens. They do have fencing all around the back yard, but two sections are just short chicken wire, and really they just hop over! It did protect them yesterday, the one dog could not get into the back yard, the guinea's went nuts and that was what alerted me to something going on, when I looked out the sliding door I saw the dog at the one fence.

Anyhoo.... my job today is to get maggie to eat first!

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Sorry about your chickens Wildsky... always hard to loose pets, I know...
I have ducks (used to have a duck-shelter in fact, where all hurt ducks were taken to mend when possible);when having deep holes in them, infection is indeed one of the biggest dangers. One way to help her fight this while trying to heal, is to use vibramycine (hope they have it in your neighbourhood or online in US). This is a medicine used for cats with sneezing-disease; but for ducks/chicks and other birds, it is a well-working antibiotic. And it can be administered well by taking a syringe, fixing a bit of (not too hard) tubing onto the end of it; then putting in the medicin, pushing the tubing into their throat past their breathing-entrance, and then pushing down the syringe-lever to get the (liquid) medicine in.

It'll be hard to get her fixed, with the wound being more then a day old allready... but there still is a reasonable chance, if you can get that stuff soon (even if it might be too late for this chicken, it would still be a good idea for you to get hold of it, so you have it ready to start using right away next time one of them get hurt).

Really hope she will get well again!

Last edited:

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
Thanks Katink, there are no stores or anything near enough to me.

I cleaned her up a little bit ago, gave her some pea's in her oatmeal and she ate some.

Her wounds all have black/scab on them now.... (I hope thats what it is) I squirted some wound cleansing stuff on her, put a little neosporin on again and put her back in the dogs crate.

I'm thinking of trying to get the crate out onto our deck, if it doesn't get too hot I bet she'd like to be able to see her buddies and lounge in the sun a little bit.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Sure thing to do if possible, Wildsky (getting her onto the deck). This will also help with keeping her known to the others, so she won't be attacked or shunned if/when she heals again.
(I do think an online search for vibramycine could still be beneficial though, though clearly your own choice of course... perhaps still in time for her, and certainly to have ready when another one gets injured or sick).

The black bits don't have to be fatal, depends whether they get dry or stay leaky... if it dries up it will eventualy just drop off, leaving perhaps some big scars (or even amputating some parts) but underneath it can be healthy tissue.

P.S. Do keep her a bit warm though... don't know how the nights are out there, but probably best to get her outside only with nice weather. Also, a chicken-lamp might work out well, if she has enough room to choose whether to get under it or not depending how she feels. :) (But you probably know all that anyhow, as animal-owner)

Last edited:

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
She seems to be doing ok, perhaps a bit bored.
She got tuna for lunch and gobbled that right up! LOL my girls LOVE tuna, I now and again open a can or two as a treat.

I'm trying to find out from my "chicken" friends if I can give her a bath/wash. She smells really funky, I think from the wounds and dried up blood and such.
doesn't help that she's got to POOP either. LOL

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
It is not nice to see animals hurting, I hope her wounds will heal soon.
Its odd how chickens don't "show" being in pain, I'm sure Maggie is uncomfortable, but chickens don't cry or make any kind of fuss when they're hurt. Its odd. Makes taking care of her a little easier I guess, putting neosporin on and such she didn't flinch or move at all.

dawnlori

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2009
North Dakota, USA
Wildsky, I too am an animal lover and I feel for you. I've had chickens before and the neighbor dog got into the pen...what a horrific sight. I had geese also, they would beat the hell out of my dogs, big and little if they even came close. The geese were the best 'watch dogs' I've ever had. They used to sleep by the back door and if anyone drove into the yard they would raise one heck of a ruckus. I hope your feathered friend makes it through this. Take care, dawnlori

dawnlori

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2009
North Dakota, USA
Usually prey animals; birds, rodents even horses for that matter don't 'voice' pain. I read somewhere that it's a survival instinct as to not draw attention to themselves if they are injured. They make noise when attacked but then go into hiding and try to be sort if invisable until they heal or pass away. Like when you find baby birds in the grass that can't fly yet, they are super still so that hopefully a predator won't find them. dawnlori

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Howdy Wildsky - Just checking in on your chickie baby to see how she (and you) are doing today. Keep everyone updated, k?

I go bonkers when anything is wrong with my Beasty Boys... I can't EVEN imagine going through what you did!
Hugz
hug-035.gif

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
The Windy City
Don't get a cheap one off of Ebay, they don't work. They do have descent ones out there that work great. They are motion sensors that ring when they sense motion.

Good luck!

I bought a motion sensor from Menards for my yard...even a squirrel sets it off. It plugs into an outlet inside and you can set it to chime or make a lamp turn on. I bought it when my psycho neighbor was throwing raw chicken legs in my yard for my dog (she doesn't like dogs) and was delibertly trying to choke her

cost about $25 and well worth it, you'd be surprised how many people I've caught on my property!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread