A technique to Save Some Extra Cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyTokes

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2014
Collegeville, PA
obviously for most of us beginning vaping isn't only about quitting analogs its also about the money. So here's a little tip to stretch your juice a bit.

If you order from places like Mt. Baker they offer extra flavoring to be added go your liquid, and they also sell unflavored 30ml juice for about half the price as their flavored, or if you vape bellow 24mg nicotine you can buy a 5oz bottle for about $5 on amazon and such. So if you get 30ml of whatever flavor at 24mg with an extra shot of flavoring or two(cost about $0.50) and say you vape 12mg, you can split the juice in half between two 30ml bottles and then add another 7-15ml of plain VG or PG and youve got 45-60ml of 12mg juice for about ten dollars. If you buy the 5+oz bottle from amazon it literally cost cents to double the size of your juice.

Now if you vape 24mg you can buy a 30ml bottle of 100mg nicotine base from high desert vapes for $6 which will make you 5x 20mg 30ml bottles of nicotine base that you could use in place of the nicotine free PG or VG and end up with a nicotine concentration of about 22.5-24mg/ml which isn't very noticeable. You should always use caution while handling nicotine liquid, much more so when dealing with high concentrations which can be very harmful even if applied to the skin. It's not very complicated math but it's math you should double and triple check. There are several apps and other resources available to aid in calculating accurate nicotine and other ingredient amounts.

I'm guessing most DIYers and people who've been vaping a while already are aware you can do this which is why I posted for the new guys. Hope you guys enjoy!

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
obviously for most of us beginning vaping isn't only about quitting analogs its also about the money. So here's a little tip to stretch your juice a bit.

If you order from places like Mt. Baker they offer extra flavoring to be added go your liquid, and they also sell unflavored 30ml juice for about half the price as their flavored, or if you vape bellow 24mg nicotine you can buy a 5oz bottle for about $5 on amazon and such. So if you get 30ml of whatever flavor at 24mg with an extra shot of flavoring or two(cost about $0.50) and say you vape 12mg, you can split the juice in half between two 30ml bottles and then add another 7-15ml of plain VG or PG and youve got 45-60ml of 12mg juice for about ten dollars. If you buy the 5+oz bottle from amazon it literally cost cents to double the size of your juice.

Now if you vape 24mg you can buy a 30ml bottle of 100mg nicotine base from high desert vapes for $6 which will make you 5x 20mg 30ml bottles of nicotine base that you could use in place of the nicotine free PG or VG and end up with a nicotine concentration of about 22.5-24mg/ml which isn't very noticeable. You should always use caution while handling nicotine liquid, much more so when dealing with high concentrations which can be very harmful even if applied to the skin. It's not very complicated math but it's math you should double and triple check. There are several apps and other resources available to aid in calculating accurate nicotine and other ingredient amounts.

I'm guessing most DIYers and people who've been vaping a while already are aware you can do this which is why I posted for the new guys. Hope you guys enjoy!

I never bothered stretching bottles from vendors. Most of the premium juices I still buy (a few a month) don't allow flavor shots and I really don't want to thin them out. Personally I thought the flavor of MBV broke down too much in rebuildables. Also, you can get into DIY for less than what it costs for 90mls of liquid from most vendors and have enough juice and base to make several hundred mLs of your DIY stuff. As with everything though, it's all about your budget and what your time is worth (takes me probably 20-30 minutes to mix - I usually mix 90mls at a time into 30ml bottles.) I mix 3 different flavors that I REALLY like and use those for my all day vapes. At most I vape premium juice a few times a day. Juice is defiantly my biggest expense with vaping. I haven't done the math on how much I'm saving with DIY, but it is significant, and I don't mind spending a bit of time on my vape to rebuild/rewick coils and mix juice. Any more it's about once a week unless I'm really anxious to try and perfect a new build or RDA.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
Yep... I did this out of necessity over a year ago due to my favorite juice was sold out at 6 mg/ml and all they had available was 24 mg/ml... at the same price. VG is cheap... so I quadrupled my supply for less than $1.00 more.

I found by doing this it really didn't dilute the original flavor all that much at all.

This led me to DIY'ing my own juice. I still buy mixed juice occasionally to try new flavors... but once you figure out how easy DIY is... it's real tough to drop $15.00 for 30 ml of something you can make yourself for less than $1.50.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Yep... I did this out of necessity over a year ago due to my favorite juice was sold out at 6 mg/ml and all they had available was 24 mg/ml... at the same price. VG is cheap... so I quadrupled my supply for less than $1.00 more.

I found by doing this it really didn't dilute the original flavor all that much at all.

This led me to DIY'ing my own juice. I still buy mixed juice occasionally to try new flavors... but once you figure out how easy DIY is... it's real tough to drop $15.00 for 30 ml of something you can make yourself for less than $1.50.

Unless it's killer juice.. but then I guess there's always clone recipes out there for the more common flavors :)

Drea8485

Jan 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
Does it matter if you use PG or VG? Is one better than the other? I got a 24mg juice because I loved the flavor and it was on sale, but it's a little too strong for me, normally I vape at 18mg, so I was thinking about what to do to cut it, it definitely sounds like adding plain VG or PG would help...but does it matter which one? Also could I buy the same flavor at a lower mg and mix it? I was thinking about doing this, but not sure if I should get the flavor with 0mg or with 12mg to try to get it to 18mg. Any help would be great. Thanks

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas

Great idea. :toast:

I used to order from MBV and would do this. Then I found an even better way. If you check their website, they actually sell the flavoring to most of their popular e-liquids.

This meant I could buy a 236ml of 100% PG 36mg with 5 flavor shots of the flavor I wanted, (they no longer sell 36mg) add 236ml of plain VG and then add about 22ml of the same flavor pre-mixed flavoring.

It would make the e-liquid almost a perfect copy of the regular 18mg 50/50 ratio I used to buy. I had to experiment a little to get the flavoring percentage correct, but working in small batches, it literally took me less than 30 mins to figure out.

It made their already inexpensive liquid come in at around 10 cents a mil. I still have a 236ml of hawk sauce in my vapocolypse stash.

I've pretty much moved on from MBV now, as I make a lot of my own liquid, but they are a great vendor. If you like their e-liquid, try ITC Vapes. Similar prices, different flavors. A little slower on the shipping, but a decent vendor.

MonkeyTokes

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2014
Collegeville, PA

Agreed!

Hectic I agree, you definitely would save more just grabbing the bottle of flavoring of whatever juice you're getting and some nicotine and VG and making 150+ml for $10-15. But for the new vapers that don't want to dive any farther into it anymore than they have to right now, I guess to me this seems much less intimidating.

MonkeyTokes

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2014
Collegeville, PA
Does it matter if you use PG or VG? Is one better than the other? I got a 24mg juice because I loved the flavor and it was on sale, but it's a little too strong for me, normally I vape at 18mg, so I was thinking about what to do to cut it, it definitely sounds like adding plain VG or PG would help...but does it matter which one? Also could I buy the same flavor at a lower mg and mix it? I was thinking about doing this, but not sure if I should get the flavor with 0mg or with 12mg to try to get it to 18mg. Any help would be great. Thanks

Mostly PG vs VG is a preference kinda thing. Generally mixes go from 100% VG down to about 70%PG 30VG depending where you buy. Now a days though VG is more popular among most people for its ability to create vapor. Higher VG content is what gives you clouds, while PG is credited for the throat hit and carrying the flavor. So really it's a lot of personal preference(once you try a few different blends youll know what you prefer). If you're unsure you could add a few drops of each at a time and drip in an RDA if you have one or put a bit in a cartomizer until it's how you'd like it. It also helps to know what the starting ratio is for your juice, because if it's already 50/50 or so you may not want to add anymore, personally I prefer above 70/30 VG to PG. Also as stated, if you do decide to go with unflavored PG or VG depending on the flavor and amount added it could take away from the flavor which is why I would definitely suggest adding maybe a ml, taste, add more, taste, and so on since once it's added it can't be removed so you don't wanna do it all in one shot, you know? Hope this helps!

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com

Over in the DIY forum there's links to a couple of good e-juice calculators... I'd suggest downloading one and playing with it. It will help in setting your desired nicotine content and then how much PG and/or VG to add to get you there.

As far as adding VG or PG... there's really no right or wrong answer. Where the original ratio is will change or you can mix it to retain the VG/PG ratio.

Adding VG only will increase vapor production and "may" mute the flavor some depending on the flavor but you might not even notice. VG will also be thicker and reduce throat hit slightly. PG can help boost flavor/throat hit and reduce vapor thickness. PG will also thin the juice slightly if it's already a VG heavy juice.

Drea8485

Jan 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
Thanks anyone who answered my question!! I just needed some clarification on all of that before I went mixing. So a 24mg and 12mg will end up as 18mg if they are equally mixed.

I think I would probably prefer adding PG over VG. I'll look at that e-juice calculator. I'm just so used to going and buying the same stuff over and over because it's quick and easy and not really experimenting.

Last edited:

MonkeyTokes

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2014
Collegeville, PA
Thanks anyone who answered my question!! I just needed some clarification on all of that before I went mixing. So a 24mg and 12mg will end up as 18mg if they are equally mixed.

I think I would probably prefer adding PG over VG. I'll look at that e-juice calculator. I'm just so used to going and buying the same stuff over and over because it's quick and easy and not really experimenting.

Pretty late, but the eliquid calculator/recipe manager is use is "Eliquid recipe Manager Lite" by composed chaos on android. Its free and you mess around with recipes then save them so you don't need to try and fond the right mix every time. Also it gives amounts in ML and drops(probably a bit less accurate) in case you don't have graduated cylinders, syringe or some other measuring device. Also just an FYI one ml of VG weighs about 1.26 grams. So if you have a digital scale its easy to weigh out larger amounts rather than do it 1ml at a time via syringe or w.e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread