About to give up on my Vivi...other tank alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcp42877

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Morrow
Literally JUST bought a new 2.8 head last week that was working fine, until today when I switched it out for my 1.8; dry burned it a bit, although the outer 2 coils never lit up...and popped it on.

from then until now, all I've gotten is a very stale, dryed out taste that my strong coffee flavor juice should mask, but it doesn't.

im getting tired of the bad heads I keep receiving in the mail. Got a new Vivi set with the 3 diff coil heads about a week and a half before this new head, and most of those were doing this same thing within a few days.

it sucks, because I order from Vaperite, and while all their other stuff is the bomb, the heads are $3.11 a piece, not to mention tax + roughly $2.50 shipping each order I place.

Im thinking if ordering a new tank or something for my ego Twist tonight, but not sure what to get. I've used Vision clears before, but those suck, because once they go out, there's no replacing the head...just buying a whole new $5-6 unit, not to mention I had a bad experience with the last one I bought because it went out in about 5 days :/

am I possibly missing something on these Nova heads? I wouldn't mind getting more 2.8, but not if they're going to go out again within a week. My first Nova slim I ever ordered was perfect. All the heads lasted close to a month and a half..but all these new ones keep screwing up.

my normal method is: cut the wicks in half (to save juice waste), remove little plastic coil covering surrounding coil, pop coil head on, let juice saturate wick, then tilt and vape. I'm really not seeing what the problem is...and every time I dry burn, I do it at 3.2 voltage, so it's not like the 2.8 ohm head can't handle it...

Last edited:

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
I really like the SplitFire tanks. I'm sure they are available all over but I get mine at Got Vapes. They are a four wick tank. It's a pain threading the wicks in the base when you have to replace them but well worth it. I have six tanks and have only changed heads a couple times over two months. They clean and dry burn well when they get gunked up. Check them out when you get a chance.

T41CK

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2011
Taylors Falls, Minnesota
Stardust V3 are really good clearomizers, bad thing is they are not tanks. I never get dry burn from these, not even if I try.

Have you ever thought about rebuiding the vivi nova heads yourself? It is really quite easy and it will save you even more :2c: yet. If you dont want to get into bebuilding then I would go with a stardust V3. These also have replaceable head but I just rebuild them after a week
Hope this helps

Standpoint

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2011
South St. Paul, MN
I haven't had any of the 8 attys I own go out on me when using my Vivi Novas, I've used them for months. With that said, I haven't modified them in any way, all I do is clean them about once a week, and dry burn until all the gunk is off the coil. I didn't quite understand your description of your process with the coils? If you are modifying them, I suggest trying some without doing anything to them. Also try them for a while on a different battery, to make sure the battery is not causing your attys to pop.

Don't have any good suggestions on a tank replacement, sorry.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Personally I think a ViVi Nova is a tank only in the barest sense of the word anyway. Check out Phiniac.com or IBTanked.com. They have awesome pyrex tanks that perform beautifully without any worries of your tank cracking or leeching into your juices. Is a bit of higher learning curve but to me the flavor and vapor production is far superior while retaining the ease of use that draws most people into the Novas in the first place.

For me at least carto tanks outperform everything else Ive ever tried

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
I'm not understanding how you are dry burning the heads?? I Dry burn after the heads and tank are cleaned and the heads/wicks are still moist.Are you cleaning anything.Sounds like in your post you are just dry burning.It also sounds like your taking the silicone cap off and not putting it back on,Then vaping.Am I miss reading this??

Last edited:
I was about to give up on mine too until I got a whole new set and just started cleaning and dry burning every 2-3 tank refills. Has been nothing but good to me ever since. In terms of alternatives, a lot of my friends have carto-tanks which hit really good, but it's a little harder to refill and clean, with no ability to rebuild.

jcp42877

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Morrow
I'm not understanding how you are dry burning the heads?? I Dry burn after the heads and tank are cleaned and the heads/wicks are still moist.Are you cleaning anything.Sounds like in your post you are just dry burning.It also sounds like your taking the silicone cap off and not putting it back on,Then vaping.Am I miss reading this??

Well from what I hear works for a lot of people, is cleaning the heads, letting them dry overnight, THEN dry burning them on low voltage while blowing on the heads til they glow orange a second or two, then cutting the switch off. Rinse and repeat until gunk is off.

and I always put the silicone cap back on. It's just the little white "wrapping" inside the head that I remove. The one that has the little hole cutouts for the wick to go through. It always just seems to get in the way, unless you got a good head where it stays on the outer edges all the time. Mine tend to flap over close to the coil most of the time, so that's why I take them out and toss em.

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
Well from what I hear works for a lot of people, is cleaning the heads, letting them dry overnight, THEN dry burning them on low voltage while blowing on the heads til they glow orange a second or two, then cutting the switch off. Rinse and repeat until gunk is off.

and I always put the silicone cap back on. It's just the little white "wrapping" inside the head that I remove. The one that has the little hole cutouts for the wick to go through. It always just seems to get in the way, unless you got a good head where it stays on the outer edges all the time. Mine tend to flap over close to the coil most of the time, so that's why I take them out and toss em.

I don't think it is a good idea to dry burn when the head is dry,This is done after the cleaning,When the gunk is moist.
And for removing the wrapping it is something I wouldn't do.I think once you learn the in's and out's of the vivi nova you should have no problems,Don't give up as I love my vivi nova and it always performs excellent.Here I should say is the definitive cleaning video for the vivi nova,I always do it this way and it is the best way in my opinion.Hopefully I will get to rebuilding someday.

Last edited:

Coldpunk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
Columbia, Mo
Kanger M3. Best I've tried so far and inexpensive. I can't speak to their longevity yet, but no problems with a week of vaping the same two heavily. I can't speak highly enough of them. Plus I've still got three empty ones to rotate in once I do eventually have to clean one.

There's a ton of reviews of them in the best clearo thread in the 808 forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread