Absolutely lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help.

I've been vaping for about 2 months now and still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I recently bought a mod and Protank 2 off a friend of mine, and have running into some trouble with leakage/tight draws. I'm ready to just by a new one, so I came here to get your guys' advice.

My TOTAL budget is between $100-$150

I'm looking for something that's really low maintenance but still WORKS WELL. Any suggestions? I literally know nothing about how to begin selecting.

I was a pack a day smoker for 5 years and could not quit for the life of me until I started vaping. I really don't want to go back to smoking, but I don't know how much more of these issues I can take. Your help would be MOST APPRECIATED.

Thanks

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
It would help if we knew what kind of mod you are referring to. If you get confused with tanks and such, try out these cartomizers that are failproof and always work, hold alot of juice and have a great flavor as well. I highly recommend them to new vapers at first so they can at least get an easier start to vaping. Once you get off the cigs and feel comfortable, you can then move on to trying all the great other devices and accessories out there. I usually get them from Crystal Clear Vaping because he provides free shipping, but he is currently out of stock. But the link below are the ones I am referring to. They really have the best flavor to me for eliquids. You just drip your juice all around on the insider filler until it is fully saturated that it drips out of the bottom. Wipe the bottom off clean and you are done. They are lower ohm though so they should be vaped at approx. 3.7 volts, so if you have a variable voltage type device, turn the voltage down before firing them up.

Smoktech XL 1.7 OHM "RESURRECTOR" Cartomizer 5 Pack - Black With FREE 5ml Bottle Of Eliquid

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
I was having the same problem with other tanks. I am now using a bbc a lot more now. With the other tanks I think I was over tightening them and that was causing my leaks. Snug seams to work for me.

I would have serious doubts as to the mod causing leakage, some mods and toppers combined may cause a tight draw, but this is rare. Maybe you could tell us what kind of mod you got, what the resistance of the Protank head is, what settings you use, what the PG/VG ratio of your juice is.

Your friend may have tinkered with the Protank, adding/removing flavor wicks, or rebuilt the head. Off hand do you know if your friend did any of these?

Some Protanks just seemed doomed, do you have anything else that works good on your mod.

I can't, in good conscious recommend you go out and buy a whole new setup until we know more about your current one and how you use it. I have to go to work, but post the information I requested, and others will be along to help, the Forum is great for that.

Oh, and Welcome to ECF, home of some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people in the vaping world.

Edit, I see MiamiMom beat me to it. Forget to mention, only tighten until snug.

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
K, main thing with protank is to LET THE COIL SOAK FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE FIRST VAPE sorry about yelling but hopefully some one will listen. lmao. If you don't do this you'll just get frustrated. short coil life, flooding likely and second fill, reduction of vape.

K, the second and just as important as the main thing about the PT, is don't over tighten this tank. this can cause flooding, by sucking juice into stem, flooding tank and ruining wick. Also if you over tighten tank it can bend the coil wire, shorting it out and or reducing its reducing it effective burn area which is very small to begin with.

Hope that helps. If you follow these 2 simple steps the pt will work flawlessly, at least id did for me, could vape it dang near dry, tank after tank. They are a good beginners tank, but one usually out grows them on their search for that ultimate vape.

JanaOnWheels

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2013
I'm a newbie, too - have only been vaping for 3 months - so take anything I say with a grain of salt...

First thought I had is, how long did the friend have it before selling it to you? I don't think these things are meant to last forever, and might just be nearing the end of its natural life cycle. Ya'know? I have no idea personally how long these things are meant to last, though; someone else here will surely know better than I.

I was using a cig-a-like until a week ago, then I bought this: NEW - GEORGIE 2.0 Starter Kit

I had a problem in the beginning, only because I didn't let the wick/coil soak up the juice first before using it. Otherwise, it's been fantastic. No leaks, great battery life, etc.

I'm also interested in low maintenance - I am not mechanically inclined and would not be comfortable with anything too complex - and this fits the bill for me. I've also heard great things about the Vision Spinner: Vision Spinner VV eGo Battery 1300mAh

Hope that helps! :)

MTLBYAKY

Jana~

I have 2 ego 1100 battery and keep trying out lots of different tank/clearos. I got my starter kit (which included the 2 batteries (and 2 clearos I no longer use, but worked great to get me going) and a charger and case) without any juice for under $80. That was 5 months ago and I have only invested in new tanks and juice (and have not had a single analog). It is really trial and error and person preference on tanks though. I just got the Kanger Mini Protank II and it is the best I have used so far. Others I have liked are the Mini Vivi Nova (top coil), and Kangers EVOD and TS3.

That's the thing, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING. Lol

I would like something that is good quality. I need it to be good to keep off the cigarettes. I don't know the exact model (it doesn't say anything on it; very frustrating). It has a blue battery and a +,-, power, and hit button.

I just want something that will be reliable, hit great, and not require a crazy amount of maintenance.

JanaOnWheels

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2013

I just want something that will be reliable, hit great, and not require a crazy amount of maintenance.

LOL, I hear'ya on that! Some people here have this vaping thing down to a science! They can even take apart the coils and rebuild them! Me? I just want it to be an all-inclusive device that I can pour liquid in to and vape. If it's too complicated, I just panic, LOL!

Get a kit to start with - one that comes with the battery, tank, charger, etc. Then you'll know that all the pieces are meant to work together.

:)

MTLBYAKY

Jana~

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
First if you could post some pictures of what you're talking about chances are someone around here could get it figured out working well and have you all set with what you already have.
But, maybe not, could be you have multiple small problems stacked on top of each other or unsuitable equipment for your experience/frustration levels and the simplest thing to do would be start over with a simpler kit.

LOL, I hear'ya on that! Some people here have this vaping thing down to a science! They can even take apart the coils and rebuild them! Me? I just want it to be an all-inclusive device that I can pour liquid in to and vape. If it's too complicated, I just panic, LOL!

Get a kit to start with - one that comes with the battery, tank, charger, etc. Then you'll know that all the pieces are meant to work together.

:)

MTLBYAKY

Jana~

Exactly....that's what I did and over 5 months later I am still happy with it!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Nine times out of ten the problem can be resolved without buying new gear. If you could tell us exactly what you have or post a pic it would be that much easier to help you. It's crazy us telling you to buy something else when we have no idea of your setup. Also some of your present gear (batteries, charger, etc) could be compatible with a new setup= more moola for juice and other goodies.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
As others have requested, taking a picture of your setup so we can see exactly what you're using would help out a ton. This way we can help you with your existing setup and not blindly recommend a new one that you may have even more trouble with :).

With that said, while you grab some photos, the Protank / Protank II can be a pain if you're new to having to replace coils and manage them (but it gets easier, I promise), so cartos may be a better option for simplicity and for the time being. You drop some juice in until they're saturated, vape and keep dripping as the wicking material drys up.

Here is what I have: photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you are looking for a simpler, low-maintanance setup something like this would fit the bill: Good Starter's Setup for Beginning Vapor.

Two (Joytech ego Twist vs Vision ego Spinner) batteries, charger, wall adaptor.
Choice of juice delivery attachments.

Above blog has links to videos that demonstrates the use of the battery and the juice attachments. All can be purchased from one vendor.
____

It sounds like you are just having issues with the juice attachment you have, though. Post a pic or identify exactly which mod and attachments you are using.

Last edited:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Nine times out of ten the problem can be resolved without buying new gear. If you could tell us exactly what you have or post a pic it would be that much easier to help you. It's crazy us telling you to buy something else when we have no idea of your setup. Also some of your present gear (batteries, charger, etc) could be compatible with a new setup= more moola for juice and other goodies.

True. I personally don't care for clearomizers, think they're a pain. If I don't drip I use a carto/tank (cartomizer inside of a tank) setup.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL

I would like something that is good quality. I need it to be good to keep off the cigarettes. I don't know the exact model (it doesn't say anything on it; very frustrating). It has a blue battery and a +,-, power, and hit button.

The Protank is very reliable if you let it soak (I've only waited about a minute and it's been fine, when filling) The biggest thing is that it take time and experience until you get it down. You will burn wicks, you will burn juice, you will leak and you will learn. If you get frustrated, you'll quit. Be calm and learn all you can. Youtube and ECF are your friends.

I am currently using cartomizers and tanks. They are cheap. Boge XL LR cartos are just over a buck apiece. The Smok pyrex DCT tank is about 15 bucks. If you have variable voltage, keep it around 4 volts and you should be fine. A carto lasts me about two weeks if I am not using dark colored juices.

If you take away noting else, be calm and vape on. It is good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread