Addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I think the main problem is that they add something to the tobacco to make your body absorb it faster and THAT'S what makes it so addictive. It's like freebasing nicotine. When we vape we only absorb a portion of the nicotine that we inhale - and we absorb it much more slowly.

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QUOTE:
"Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties.[41] However, after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential. This is similar in effect to amphetamine.[42]"

Jimi Hendrix

Dec 30, 2010
NV
Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The addition of ammonia is what produces the "free-base" super-fast nicotine absorption with cigarettes.
The nicotine from electronic cigarettes absorbs much more slowly, making it a very different experience.

And the MAOIs are yet another thing in cigarettes that some people seem to need as well.
The use of Swedish snus is one way to get some of the things that are missing that you might need.

It seems to be around 5% of the folks that need that extra stuff, but I would guess a higher percentage might benefit.

cowfodder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2010
Michigan
I dont' have the source for this handy, so I could be a little off.

From what I remember, it's actually the small amount of ammonia that helps with nicotine uptake. Makes some sense, as an aqueous base like ammonia would help substances cross through lung tissue.

The addition of ammonia is what produces the "free-base" super-fast nicotine absorption with cigarettes.
The nicotine from electronic cigarettes absorbs much more slowly, making it a very different experience.

And the MAOIs are yet another thing in cigarettes that some people seem to need as well.
The use of Swedish snus is one way to get some of the things that are missing that you might need.

It seems to be around 5% of the folks that need that extra stuff, but I would guess a higher percentage might benefit.

Score one for me remembering otherwise useless crap. Thanks for the info DC2!

It's over my head, but there's been a discussion about this in the nicotine subforum. Apparently the MAOI's in tobacco play a big role.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ne-maois-towards-more-effective-e-liquid.html

I can vouch for nicotine not being super-addictive on its own. I quit vaping cold turkey from 24 mg and it was easy-peasy for me.

From reading a lot from ECF, I noticed a number of 1 or more PAD smokers switched to vaping and began stepping down their nic levels to 0 and then stopped vaping all together.

Last edited:

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QUOTE:
"Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties.[41] However, after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential. This is similar in effect to amphetamine.[42]"

Oh that study
Belluzzi, J.D.; Wang, R.; and Leslie,
F.M. Acetaldehyde enhances acquisition of nicotine self-administration in
adolescent rats. Neuropsychopharmacol 30:705–712, 2005.

The complete text was published in Nature with a ton hyperlinked citations
Neuropsychopharmacology - Acetaldehyde Enhances Acquisition of Nicotine Self-Administration in Adolescent Rats

The study suggested that only the adolescent rates preferred nicotine to ....... when administered with acetaldehyde, rather than the adult rats that preferred ....... to nicotine.

ETA: See also the
"The scientific basis of tobacco product regulation: report of a WHO Study Group"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread