Status
Not open for further replies.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
I agree that nicotine by itself is not as addictive as the public is led to believe. I sometimes put my ecig down and do other things, and then realize hours later I haven't even vaped, but when I think of that im like OMG MUST vape. Its definitely addictive, and personally I LOVE the throat hit. But yes, ecigs MUCH easier to drop than smoking

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Enter exhibit A

Nicotine, the Wonder Drug? | DiscoverMagazine.com

For the relevant section to addiction scroll down to the section labeled "Not the Great Satan".

That's a very interesting article. One of the things I find curious is this:
(Although, in truth, few safety studies of the increasingly popular e-cigarettes have yet been published.)

It's totally disjoint from the rest of the article, and the ONLY mention of e-cigarettes, in an article focusing entirely on nicotine!

(My guess is that this was added by an editor).

I've been looking for a good place to say this next thing:

As many know, one of Glantz's major bugaboos is the "Dual User" - i.e. someone who vapes and smokes.

The FDA disagrees about that:

Nicotine Replacement Therapy Labels May Change

THIS IS CRUCIAL!!!!

Commentary:
Nicotine replacement: safe, even if you smoke, says FDA - Los Angeles Times

Don't worry, the Food & Drug Administration said Monday. Keep using the patch, gum or lozenges and keep trying to quit, even if you're still smoking: there's no danger to using both, at least for a short period.

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
I had the exact opposite experience...

Recently bought a boat load of juice, in three flavors, at 6mg. Switching from 12 mg for the first time.

Cycling through the three in my dripper - I don't mind a mixed flavor for a few vapes, and after a couple, it switches over pretty good.

One of the three, however, must have either zero, or maybe 3 mg concentration on accident. I was vaping purely this one flavor all day, and by 2:00 pm I was short with everyone, had no patience for even normal tasks, and was basically a raging lunatic. Ended up yelling at my kids, exchanging quips with my wife, and generally making an .... out of myself.

Taking a moment to cool off and figure out what the heck was wrong with me, it occurred to me I haven't vaped anything but this one flavor all day... What if... Switched to another flavor and within 10 minutes I was feeling relaxed and in control. OK - maybe the one incident I convinced myself the nic was to blame, and the quiet time was all I needed.

So over the next week, I tested it out. I'd vape just the one deficient flavor as long as I could. After roughly 6 hours I'd start really being short, feeling a bit off - sort of akin to the sensation of wanting a cig, but with the throat craving missing. The head / vision intensity and frustration are there though. Switch to one of the other two flavors and between 5 to 15 minutes, the feeling sooths away, and my patience is back.

Yep, I'm hooked.

I've successfully managed to wean down from clove cigars to 24 mg vapor, to 18, to 12, and now to 6. However, I'm not ready yet to be off nic entirely, as this little excercise makes plain to me.

I've roughly 900 ml of the low/non nic flavor for when I'm ready to step it down though. The other 1800 ml from that order should be sufficient to get me there, I think.

Recycled Roadkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2013
Garland, TX
I accidently was vaping 0 nic for the most part of a day. I thought I was mixing 12 mg with 0 mg juice. As it turned out, I was mixing 2 bottles of 0 nic. While I'm back to 6 nic

I found it kinda humorous that I didn't miss the nic at all until I realized what I was actually vaping. With all the juice I have tho, I'll be vaping 6 nic for at least another year. Besides, since I'm hearing such good things about nicotine I see no reason to discontinue vapeing 6 nic at all.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I get problems with losing focus and depression when I go below 6mg for too long.
I'm able to go without even vaping at all for up to two weeks, but I like how it "evens me out", so here I stay..
Until senility or altsheimers gets me and then I'm planning on increasing to 12 or even 18.

Last edited:

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
I'm convinced that I LOVE nicotine and nicotine loves me. We are great together. I see this being a life long love affair. I vape 36 and occasionally think about going back to 24 but I've yet to do it. Maybe someday but not someday soon. I drip 36 and love it! I do have a few liquids that are lower and they are nice during late night hours but only on occasion. I'm not only convinced nicotine is needed, I'm convinced nicotine is good for me. Keeps me fishee brain swimming in the right direction.

chawk

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Port Republic,MD,USA
I just went to 12 from 16. I don't know if its the change, or the stressful week but I am definitely tired and cranky. I may break out my emergency 16 to see if it goes away. But then again I think I'm going to keep going to see if I can get used to it. I vaped a sample that was so delicious I didn't care it was zero nic for hours. So I am hoping I can even out once I'm on spring break next week.

Moedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
I just don't get this concept. I know from long experience that nicotine is beneficial to me and I enjoy it. For the life of me, I can't understand why so many ECF'ers are intent on reducing or eliminating their nic if it makes them miserable and stressed. I guess I could understand if a person does not enjoy vaping and wants to quit. Apparently there are quite a few of those on ECF. Good luck to them, but don't be surprised if you find an analog in your mouth one day soon.

oxidus

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Canada
I just don't get this concept. I know from long experience that nicotine is beneficial to me and I enjoy it. For the life of me, I can't understand why so many ECF'ers are intent on reducing or eliminating their nic if it makes them miserable and stressed. I guess I could understand if a person does not enjoy vaping and wants to quit. Apparently there are quite a few of those on ECF. Good luck to them, but don't be surprised if you find an analog in your mouth one day soon.

Well, my main incentive for getting 0 nicotine was that it's cheaper some places. I can get 50ml for like $8.99 with no nicotine. And good liquid too.

I think just knowing, that all this time the nicotine wasn't really doing much for me is a bit of a let down. I can totally understand needing the throat hit, but what about finding other ways to achieve this? My main point was that I don't notice any side effects from dropping the nicotine entirely, even from an 18mg liquid. But sure, everyone is different. I feel almost tricked in a way :p

It's also good to know from an adaptability point of view. Alot of the arguments against e-cigs go out the window when you tell people there's no nicotine in it.

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga

I'm cutting it out of my diet because of the $#^&$# health care & insurance rules / policies. In the end, I don't think the insurance companies will see any difference between NRTs and smoking or other tobacco use. I don't want to pay the increased fees associated with that, and I really don't want to give up vaping, so cutting the nicotine is the only choice I believe I will have.

I've dodged that bullet this year, but there's no telling what'll happen next year when my employer goes shopping for insurance, so I'd rather be ahead of that curve when it finally hits.

I'm down to 6mg nic now, and may consider dropping to 3. I'd go to 0, but an important part of the vaping experience (for me) is the TH. I never really wanted to quit smoking, however vaping has proved to be an adequate substitute, and I'd like to keep it that way :)

heisenbergNY

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
Queens, NY, USA
For me it seems nicotine does more good to me than harm. My mind seems sharper and can focus better at work especially. I dont know if its just in my head but to me its kind of like an energy boost in my senses. I have never attempted to go long without it so I cannot speak for everyone but only myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
In my experience, nic is not more "addictive" (meaning physical addiction.. no behavioral or habit) than caffeine. I've quit both and actually had more withdrawal symptoms kicking caffeine but its was very mild comparatively to what I've read about different types of physical withdrawal. I just had a headache and lethargy for a couple of day quitting caffeine and really didn't notice anything physical kicking nic. That is what told me there's somthing else in smokes that is way addictive... its definitely not nic. Once I experienced this, using nic became a choice for me and I began using it again because nothing else provided the TH I like.... craving that is a habit... there's no addiction to TH in the true meaning of "addiction."

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
I read somewhere that nicotine isn't actually addictive by itself in e-liquid. It's only in combination with some cigarette ingredients that it becomes addictive. So I'm testing this.

Normally, I vape 18mg nicotine liquid, probably around 4 - 6 ml per day. I bought some 0mg nicotine liquid. I'm going to vape it exclusively for the next few days and quit the nicotine cold turkey.

So far, I've gone through the entire day on 0mg. I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms at all. The only thing I've noticed is that the liquid is smooooooth and delicious now...And I actually prefer it without the nicotine, go figure. :2cool:

Registered nurse reporting in: I actually did my Bio-Sciences thesis on this :D nice observation, this is one of the first things I noticed about vaping myself is that the nicotine just felt different. There's alot of things I discovered studying this, however no empirical studies have ever been recorded on this (I wonder why *cough* tobacco companies). It all boils down to Acidity, Sugar derivatives, and added "freebase nicotine".

-Acidity: The nicotine molecule found in nature and our vaping juices are almost always positively charged, they have alot of protons that make it "harder" to be absorbed by the lungs, and this is for a good reason because the lungs don't want a certain amount of positively charged molecules in our bodies, most of them are harmful. Ammonia, is an additive found around the world in cigarettes, and most have heard it in anti-tobacco commercials even. This high strength acid strips protons off the nicotine molecule to make it more easily absorbed by your lungs, what the companies try to do is "match" the acidity of our lungs to make almost all of the nicotine absorbable. Taking the + charge down is unnaturally allowing nicotine molecules into your body, and allowing the molecules to squeeze in where nature didn't intend (and for a good reason).

-Sugar additives: This may sound harmless but really could mean anything, which derivatives aren't known, dopamine is a sugar derivative but we all know ....... isn't exactly good for us. The common sugar derivatives are used to enhance the level one MAOI neuro-transmitters in the brain, which like the nicotine, and coincidentally MAOI/level one neuro-transmitters are extremely high in cigarette smokers, and many suffer depression from that imabalance. I personally think, after going through it myself, and having level one medication fix my depression, that's exactly what they're designed to do: enhance the nicotine transmitters that make us "like" or be addicted to nicotine.

-Freebase Nicotine: It's exactly as it sounds, chemically isolated nicotine, that's designed to go straight to the brain with hardly any interruption from the lungs or neuro-transmitters, alot of these are found in nicotine gum and patches etc. These are actually known by the scientific community to be added to cigarettes, camel: 2.7% Marlboro:7% I've tried both of these cigs and I can definitely tell these %'s are accurate. And freebase nicotine is like the "crack" of tobacco nicotine, super efficient, super addicting, and very absorbable. I wouldn't be surprised if some companies were basically soaking nicotine-less tobacco with freebase nicotine because it would be cheaper and more addicting.

-These were my thoughts on it, and alot of it is backed up by empirical evidence. Just thought I'd share this with you guys. :) It's a scary business the tobacco companies are running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread