advice for weening off nicotine altogether

Status
Not open for further replies.

alib

Mar 17, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
hi, i have just recently begun smoking ecigarettes and have found it incredibly effective for quitting normal cigarettes, at least so far. I haven't smoked a cigarette since I began the ecigarettes over a month ago.
I used to smoke around 15 cigarettes a day and I've really just been using ecigarettes a couple times a day - I feel far less addicted now - so I think this is a victory.
However, I would like to ultimately ween off ecigarettes and all nicotine altogether. I was wondering if you had advice for ecigarettes that would be specifically best for this purpose?
I have mostly been using the njoy cigarettes that you can buy at 711, but I'm unclear about whether this actually has very high nicotine content and could keep me addicted to nicotine? I think it is the njoy "king."
should i try going straight to zero nicotine or are there other low nicotine options to try? Do any make kits specifically desigend for quitting? I just feel a little confused and overwhelmed at the moment on how to go about this and it seems rather difficult to find good information since so much of the normal places I would turn - like the American Lung Association - just seem to reject ecigarettes altogether from what I can tell. For me they seem quite effective but I don't think I want to be using this forever.
Would really appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Boiler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
The land of sky blue waters
:toast: Welcome to ECF!

I'm not aware of any kits out there with any kind of step program. You will need to gradually reduce the nicotine levels at your own pace - which is good I think.

Kings do have rather high nicotine (30 and 45mg I believe). If you want to stick with NJoys, you can buy pre-filled cartomizers from them on-line with between 0-18mg strength. There are less expensive options if you'd want to buy the juice separately and fill them yourself.

StevesCVO

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Clown School
I don't know how much nic is in the njoy's but you can get lower nic juice. You would have to buy a different kit to use the lower nic juice. If your only using it a few times a day you may go ahead and try and quit altogether. An eGo twist or spinner battery with a Kanget T3 or Vision Vivi Nova and 6 mg juice may be all you need until you move down to 0 nic.

Maxine

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
Maine
Hi alib! Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on a month smoke free!

As far as weening off goes, I managed to quit smoking by vaping 24mg/ml nicotine and now use only 6mg - but I DIY (make my own niquid) which makes adjusting nic amounts easy for me. I'd back off 6mg at a time, then up it 3mg when I wasn't satisfied, "fooling" myself into satisfaction with 3mg less than I started with. I recently recovered from a relatively painless 2 weeks with no ecig at all, but the temptation to smoke is still with me (after 2+ years of not smoking) so I'm back to vaping again. I've also tried eating more potatoes and tomatoes which also contain nicotine -- if ever I figure out how to smoke 'em, I'll get back to you...

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I have quit about 7 times in my life. The least painful was definitely to systematically reduce my nicotine by one unit until it hit zero. Choose your unit by how much you use now. Free choice. There is a safety clause that might ome in handy. If you aren't able to do one unit less for some reason your aloud to stay at te number you did the day before and not go up in a poof of smoke.
(. :

Simpler if it's cigs. 20 to 19 to 18 to 17 uh oh having trouble 17 again to 16 and so on. With me on the day I was allowed one I friggen forgot about and it was after midnight. That quit lasted me 12 years. Divorce hit me. Then I did Nicorette. I don't recommend Nicorette if your quitting nic. Too easy to justify. I ended up chewing it 10 years to quit which means I strengthened by 10 years my habit which I had, since my twenties been really stamping out as a part of who I was and how I coped with my weirdnesses. Yeah and I replaced that with vaping and moved on to snus and snuff. Almost regressing! Well, yeah, actually regressing. It's ok. I hate stinky smokes and they don't call to me at all. I'm cool.

T0rtitude

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2012
NYS
You can gradually step down at whatever pace is comfortable for you, and you will know what's comfortable by how you feel. That will be impossible to do with Njoy though. I just looked at their website and it looks like the kings are 4.5% and 3.0%, which I think is 45mg and 30mg? That seems awfully high. Can anyone verify? Their disposables are 18mg(1.8%) and 12mg(1.2%). You might want to explore other prefilled brands that have several nicotine levels to choose from so you can step down more gradually. Or get a good setup, try some different juices, and step down that way.

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
Yes, the NJoy Kings are 30mg and 45mg ( the "Bold" ones). You need to get yourself an actual kit and order liquid or DIY liquid. Go down very slowly. I am not much of a nicotine weaning success story ( I've gone from 36 to 24 and am not quite sure what I want to do next ), but most people who have gone down to very low levels of nic have done so gradually.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Wellbutrin helps a motivated person. I chewed Nicorette like crazy on Well Turin. I think if you do nic anyway with it it looses it's effectiveness. It's an easy thing to quit....Wellbutrin and if you get the job done in two weeks it's all you need. A month at most. It's kind of a weird drug. Can cause aggressiveness, or politely over assertiveness. And seriously those things long term are just more junk for your liver to deal with. Im a firm believer in all that stuff if you use it when you need it and get rid of it as soon as you can. Some people cannot. Dont use the generic. To much info. Just dont

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Anyway the OP is successful with vaping a low amt of nic already even if it is NJoy Bold. OP should order NJoy lo online and stick with nJoy because if she starts buying liquid and doing extra steps towards the whole enchilada vape world shell get addicted to the hobby. Maybe she doesn't want a pacifier anymore. And nJoy is expensive. It's a good tool to quit. Might get to counting puffs at the very end but. If I were really going to stop nic I'd sell all my expensive gear and donate my little stuff and wash my hands of the hobby aspect if not wanting to such on something dependent like was my goal

jfalbanese

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Westport, WA
Anyway the OP is successful with vaping a low amt of nic already even if it is NJoy Bold. OP should order NJoy lo online and stick with nJoy because if she starts buying liquid and doing extra steps towards the whole enchilada vape world shell get addicted to the hobby. Maybe she doesn't want a pacifier anymore. And nJoy is expensive. It's a good tool to quit. Might get to counting puffs at the very end but. If I were really going to stop nic I'd sell all my expensive gear and donate my little stuff and wash my hands of the hobby aspect if not wanting to such on something dependent like was my goal
in a perfect world i probably would give away my stuff, but would for sure keep my mechanical mod in the drawer in case of emergency's. if i ever fall, i want a net to catch me lest i fall back into the tobacco pit.

alib

Mar 17, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
thanks all for the advice! yes I think I want to stick with disposable ecigarettes even if it is more expensive because I really just want to do this as little as possible or be taking in as little nicotine as possible. I've found that I have been able to get rid of basically the worst of the physical nicotine cravings that I used to have while smoking regular cigarettes for the most part (not 100%), and I just don't want that to come back in a big way. any other suggested brands for disposable ecigs and the level of nicotine that you would recommend for them are much appreciated.

fat chocolate

Aug 16, 2012
Avon Lake
Dosing yourself down is easily the best way to go. I would recommend buying blank cartomizers and some ejuice with your flavor and nicotine of choice. Also pick up an ego or kgo mod for this. They cost around 20 dollars. The blank cartomizers cost around 1-2 dollars each and will generally last a week depending on your vaping habits. You can pick up a 30ml bottle of juice that will cost around 10 to 15 dollars and will last around a week or two. Some great sites for these are eliquidplanet.com, altsmoke.com, and i prefer the menthol juice from smoklessimage.com . Its the best. Wish you the best of luck.

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
I was recommending a kit because that's the only way to step down your liquid strength in small increments, but disposables are working for you and aren't a bad idea. I understand not wanting to start collecting vaping gear. In that case, you can either continue using the NJoy King and really monitor your usage, cutting back a bit every week or so or whatever time frame you feel comfortable with, or start buying 18mg disposables, with I believe is the next disposable strength after the 30mg in the lower nic King. I am not sure of other nic concentrations available in other disposables. It's going to come down to monitoring how often and how long you vape and then just stopping entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread