Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
..... And like the previous posters mentioned the ego batteries are great because just about any carto with a 510 thread will fit it.

All the models mentioned support 510 threading. But in reality, with all the adapters available for only about $4, you can now use any atty/carto (801, 808, 901, etc) with any model you get.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I like the Provari, but don't want to part with $150 right now. I think that competition is mounting up to present some alternatives and competitive prices.

Another thing that you might consider is that you will want something less obtrusive that fits in a pocket easily for some places you go. If you stealth vape in restaurants, an eGo style ecig is nice. It can drop into a shirt, coat, or pants pocket between vapes. If you get a battery with a 5-click on/off feature, you don't have to worry about it firing from pressure in your pocket.

You can still use dual coil tanks with a larger battery and there's a variable 3-step voltage model of the eGo out now.
Vapor Chaser: eGo Variable Voltage from Gotvapes - Review

chatter97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2011
Woodstock Georgia
I would start with something Ego like. The mods are nice, but until you get the hang of the basics it is allot to take in. Someone posted this on a thread of similar question, but a really good deal on a kit with cartos can be found here. On the top left hand of the page is a button for 20% which makes this a very affordable entry into vaping and from what I understand the Riva is similar to the Ego. I would look at one of the cartomizer kits. Then all you need to do is buy some juice and for under 50 bucks you can start the learning journey. I am glad in some ways I started with the Ego as it provided a cheap and affordable way to learn about what I like vaping wise. I would have loved a provari, but voltage settings and batteries and carts and all that can be a little overwhelming when you are new. I now have Silver Bullet and I love it!! But, I got it after I had tried allot of things out with the Ego and truly figured what worked for me.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
..........If you stealth vape in restaurants, an eGo style ecig is nice. It can drop into a shirt, coat, or pants pocket between vapes. If you get a battery with a 5-click on/off feature, you don't have to worry about it firing from pressure in your pocket........

Most models fit fine in a pocket. My Darwin easily fits in either my shirt or pants pocket. But the more we openly BUT respectfully vape, as well as provide educational information to the uninformed, the more acceptance will be gained for vaping.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I agree with chatter97. Everyone needs an eGo for light duty and stealth. I'm not a fan of the 12 click, 13 click, etc adjustments on the Provari. An extra button or two wouldn't be bad for up/down adjustments.

My HV and VV vaping is accomplished by a Madvapes $35 variable voltage box mod. It isn't glamorous but it does the job. The parts in an expensive mod, other than the case and batteries, amount to almost nothing compared to the retail price of the finished product. You are paying for design, milling and assembly, testing, and a warranty, as well as the advertising money spent to make it known to the masses.

Variable voltage is relatively new. I agree that we should support the manufacturers, but competition will prevail, as it does with any new product. On the cheap, changing from LR to medium and higher resistance is the same as stepping the voltage up and down. Wattage is the end result. OTOH, it's nice to be able to crank in tenths of a volt for a given resistance. That's the way to find the sweet spot in any juice.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
........My HV and VV vaping is accomplished by a Madvapes $35 variable voltage box mod. It isn't glamorous but it does the job. The parts in an expensive mod, other than the case and batteries, amount to almost nothing compared to the retail price of the finished product. You are paying for design, milling and assembly, testing, and a warranty, as well as the advertising money spent to make it known to the masses.......

There is nothing wrong with a VV box mod. It's a cheap way to try VV vaping. But to state that the technology in say the Darwin, "amounts to nothing" and is all astetics, is WAY off base.

Your $35 box mod is not power regulated or adjusts wattage. I also doubt that it has "regulated boost circuit" technology that maintains ultimate consistency as you vape, keeping the power output to the atty constant as the battery drains. I also doubt you can get 21 hours on a charge (that's for a heavy vaper - many have reported 35 hours) with your box mod. I'm also sure that your box mod cannot automatically adjust the power to the atty as the resistence changes in the atty as you vape, like the Darwin, in order to maintain consistency. I'm also pretty sure your box mod does not double as a pass-through and allow you to vape and charge at the same time.

I think minimizing the the technology features of better models such as the Darwin and Provari does not help a new person understand the differences between models. If you had actually vaped on all of these models for several months, you would be in a better position to provide an accurate comparison.

Last edited:

kmac

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Louisiana
Just my .02 all the suggestions here are great and should lead you in the right direction. There are so many options now I would just recommend starting with something simple and time tested like the ego which many have mentioned. I wouldn't necessarily go for top of the line even if money isn't an issue. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it will be your favorite. I have been vaping on and off for over 3 years and I to this day still go back to dripping on a standard 510 atty after I've spent hundreds on various units that hardly if ever get used.

Remember also that there is usually a learning curve to vaping. It takes a while for many people to find the setup and juice that is right for them. My suggestion get a standard ego starter kit and some drip tips and start sampling juices from multiple vendors in various strengths. When you find the one that you love then bump up to the 3-5 mL carts. Otherwise you'll most likely be blowing through a lot of juice filling up large carts with juice you don't know if you will like or not.

Balthezar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Fayetteville, GA
Hi all. I'll just go with what I have, it's what I am enjoying, so I stick with it. I have a joye 510, which I usually have my tobacco at 17mg, for when I want a nic fix, but I mostly use my eGo passthru, can vape at the comp, or unplug and go with 650 mah battery (you can get it in 900mah also). Both have smoktech dual coils, good vapor and TH. At around $50 for the whole thing (the 510 was a PCC kit) I'm happy with it and not broke. It keeps me satisfied and off analogs, and I have the 510, small but works great, when I want it, and the eGo when I need more oomph. All of the suggestions here are great, and everyone has their own needs and preferences, this is just the setup that I like, simple yet effective.

Balth

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
There is nothing wrong with a VV box mod. It's a cheap way to try VV vaping. But to state that the technology in say the Darwin, "amounts to nothing" and is all astetics, is WAY off base.

Your $35 box mod is not power regulated or adjusts wattage. I also doubt that it has "regulated boost circuit" technology that maintains ultimate consistency as you vape, keeping the power output to the atty constant as the battery drains. I also doubt you can get 21 hours on a charge (that's for a heavy vaper - many have reported 35 hours) with your box mod. I'm also sure that your box mod cannot automatically adjust the power to the atty as the resistence changes in the atty as you vape, like the Darwin, in order to maintain consistency. I'm also pretty sure your box mod does not double as a pass-through and allow you to vape and charge at the same time.

I think minimizing the the technology features of better models such as the Darwin and Provari does not help a new person understand the differences between models. If you had actually vaped on all of these models for several months, you would be in a better position to provide an accurate comparison.

I don't disagree with anything you said except that I was referring to the price of the parts, not the technology of the assembled parts in a mod. Regulator ICs are typically $3 each in relatively small quantities. Circuit boards can be made cheaply. In the case of someone who is starting out, a $150 custom mod may be overkill. There are all kinds of deluxe options on cars, too, but not everyone cares if their car has climate control that is temperature adjustable from side to side for each passenger, switches from heat to air as needed, and senses moisture on the windshield as a trigger to turn on the wipers.

I could afford to buy one of each type of custom mod available. I just don't see the need for me at this point. I do think that new vapers need to hear about the options and all the bells and whistles when starting out. Once they actually find that they enjoy vaping, then the high priced mods might be just what they need. I've seen far too many people buy an ecig, try it for a month, and can it because it isn't exactly like the Marlboro Red they expected to reproduce. No electronic magic can overcome unrealistic expectations, although VV is the closest.

I'm not downing custom mods, just trying to offer one opinion to add to the others here. What I said was true, in that the cost of some mods is not the components, but the cost of the effort to bring them to the market. The electronics are off the shelf components assembled to create a working circuit. Some use PWM and others use linear regulation. Mine is linear. Some monitor resistance and voltage and can offset the voltage to maintain wattage. That is worth something extra. Still others give you menu options to change the personality of the way they operate. That's another extra. The housing is another unique feature and that is worth a lot, IMO. There's not much worse than an ugly mod! I like smooth lines.

A year ago it was the "Chuck". Now, it's the Provari and other fancy feature mods. Look how far we've come! Now that the competition has grown, it's about time for the fancy mods to begin the dip to under $100.

Last edited:

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
I am now thinking of trying both the Provari, for when I am at home, and the Volt for when I go out. Problem solved.

I have never been on a forum with such nice people! Thank you so very much.

I like my volt I bought it because I'm a gamer and needed a hands free option you can't play COD MW2 while pushing a button on a pv you'll just die a lot but it's not in the same league as my provari. they're both good choices for different reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread