Aegis max battery cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Sooooo i wanted a single battery mod with 21700 and got the aegis max few months ago...

I know they is not any high end/expensive mod but I didn't want to spend much...
I am not disappointed with the quality except the battery cap...

I have seen people have problems and complain but I was thinking probably overtighten or crossthreading would cause those problem...
I think I have also seen a pic of the threads on the mod that had popped out...not sure but I think it's a ring that has those threads and its press fitted maybe not sure tho...anyways

The threads are not great that's for sure I noticed since day on...it's not that it's defected I mean I examine the threads and they look good......it's just feels wierd....supposed to be stainless steel but I feel like it's not...maybe the cap is ss but the threads on the mod are not....I cant rember how it's called but I feel like it's another type of metal....

Also I notice that since day one screw and unscrew the cap leaves a black residue into the threads kinda like some metals do when u rub them together and stainless steel don't do that sure...

I am car mechanic and at least I can assure you that I never cross thread it or even overtighten it lol I never overtighten anything vape related anyways......I don't even tighten it until it reaches the stop cause feels it goes very tight the way I feel it and the oring there anyways helps to prevent unscrew by accident....feels tight enough and there is no movement when u press the cap ofc...

The thing is that now it's fine but I feel like those threads maybe won't last much and I was wondering...
Maybe on this mod is not bad idea to charge from USB to avoid using the cap hahahaha.....manufacturer say 1.5amp charge rate I can feel the mod get hot and I don't like that when I tried charge it like that......I could use 1amp charger or even lower I guess....like 0.7amp or something...
Or just YOLO it cause at least it's not any expensive mod...if lasts 2 years I won't be disappointed...will it tho?

Doesn't anyone here have aegis and removes battery frequently to charge but have no problem with the threads after more than a year or something? Just curious :p

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    The mod body is a zinc alloy so can be prone to wear.
    Like others, I removed the o-ring on the SS cap. Gives more thread into the body.
    Haven't had the cap back out with no o-ring.
    It is a vulnerable issue with the Solo, Max, and squonker (maybe more models I only have those three).

Edit:
    After looking, it looks like the mod has a SS insert but the cap is a zinc alloy?

Last edited:

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    The mod body is a zinc alloy so can be prone to wear.
    Like others, I removed the o-ring on the SS cap. Gives more thread into the body.
    Haven't had the cap back out with no o-ring.
    It is a vulnerable issue with the Solo, Max, and squonker.

Edit:
    After looking, it looks like the mod has a SS insert but the cap is a zinc alloy?

I guess u tighten the cap all the way since u don't use the o ring...right??

To be honest I don't know but to me feels like both are not stainless steel just saying how it feels ofc it's very possible I am wrong....it's possible that the body is stainless and the threads are press fitted on the body of the mod and are zinc alloy...
    It would make sence the body to be stainless and the cap zinc in order to make the cap wear off with time and be able to replace it if needed...

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I guess u tighten the cap all the way since u don't use the o ring...right??

To be honest I don't know but to me feels like both are not stainless steel just saying how it feels ofc it's very possible I am wrong....it's possible that the body is stainless and the threads are press fitted on the body of the mod and are zinc alloy...
    It would make sence the body to be stainless and the cap zinc in order to make the cap wear off with time and be able to replace it if needed...
    Yes tighten all the way. Not too much tho, you don't want to crush the positive battery post.
    Whatever material they use the threads are "crunchy" and doesn't give a warm fuzzy feeling for longevity.

Last edited:

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Yes tighten all the way. Not too much tho, you don't want to crush the positive battery post.
    Whatever material they use the threads are "crunchy" and doesn't give a warm fuzzy feeling for longevity.

Yeah it's a shame cause other than that is nice mod for the money....I just hope the threads on the mod don't get ruined very fast cause the cap I don't mind...

• Agree
    Reactions: puffon

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Sooooo i wanted a single battery mod with 21700 and got the aegis max few months ago...

I know they is not any high end/expensive mod but I didn't want to spend much...
    I am not disappointed with the quality except the battery cap...

I have seen people have problems and complain but I was thinking probably overtighten or crossthreading would cause those problem...
    I think I have also seen a pic of the threads on the mod that had popped out...not sure but I think it's a ring that has those threads and its press fitted maybe not sure tho...anyways

The threads are not great that's for sure I noticed since day on...it's not that it's defected I mean I examine the threads and they look good......it's just feels wierd....supposed to be stainless steel but I feel like it's not...maybe the cap is ss but the threads on the mod are not....I cant rember how it's called but I feel like it's another type of metal....

Also I notice that since day one screw and unscrew the cap leaves a black residue into the threads kinda like some metals do when u rub them together and stainless steel don't do that sure...

I am car mechanic and at least I can assure you that I never cross thread it or even overtighten it lol I never overtighten anything vape related anyways......I don't even tighten it until it reaches the stop cause feels it goes very tight the way I feel it and the oring there anyways helps to prevent unscrew by accident....feels tight enough and there is no movement when u press the cap ofc...

The thing is that now it's fine but I feel like those threads maybe won't last much and I was wondering...
    Maybe on this mod is not bad idea to charge from USB to avoid using the cap hahahaha.....manufacturer say 1.5amp charge rate I can feel the mod get hot and I don't like that when I tried charge it like that......I could use 1amp charger or even lower I guess....like 0.7amp or something...
    Or just YOLO it cause at least it's not any expensive mod...if lasts 2 years I won't be disappointed...will it tho?

Doesn't anyone here have aegis and removes battery frequently to charge but have no problem with the threads after more than a year or something? Just curious :p

Use dielectric grease on the threads. That might help for longevity since they're sketchy, and make the screwing and unscrewing easier.

(I know that sounded weird just didn't have a better way to put it atm... I'm a girl and sometimes it shows.. lol)

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Use dielectric grease on the threads. That might help for longevity since they're sketchy, and make the screwing and unscrewing easier.

(I know that sounded weird just didn't have a better way to put it atm... I'm a girl and sometimes it shows.. lol)

That's a good idea cause I have already done it and it helps ofc sooooo doesn't matter how you say it but the idea :)

• Love
    Reactions: Opinionated
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread