Aegis Solo Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

hineybadger

Feb 18, 2020
Purchased the Aegis Solo after 3 Swag 2 failures due to super condensation in chipset and battery cell. Have had the Aegis Solo for two days and loving it. Took the battery out to charge last night and a fair amount of water dropped out and the battery was wet. I dried everything out and unfortunately it won’t turn on this morning even with USB connected.

I am using the Fireluke 2 tank and just noticed the working watts say (40-90w). I’m a casual vapor and always stay around the 19-21w range. I’m assuming this may be the culprit in causing the juice to thin and leak into the battery cell causing it to short circuit?

I just shook out the mod again and there’s still liquid coming out as you can see in the photo from the battery cell area.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The Aegis Solo is IP67 rated thus water proof to a certain degree. So any fluid that is found inside the battery compartment is obviously coming from somewhere other than the tank. Chipsets do not condensate enough to have a fair amount of fluid poor out of the device. Which to me leaves your battery as being the source. If your battery has vented, it will ooze fluid and it should be discarded safely. Never reuse a vented battery.

The Aegis requires a charged battery for the USB to operate. It will not turn on by USB power alone.

hineybadger

Feb 18, 2020
The Aegis Solo is IP67 rated thus water proof to a certain degree. So any fluid that is found inside the battery compartment is obviously coming from somewhere other than the tank. Chipsets do not condensate enough to have a fair amount of fluid poor out of the device. Which to me leaves your battery as being the source. If your battery has vented, it will ooze fluid and it should be discarded safely. Never reuse a vented battery.

The Aegis requires a charged battery for the USB to operate. It will not turn on by USB power alone.

Okay that makes good sense. I’ve never heard of the battery venting before. I’m using the Samsung 18650 3.7V 2500mah. I’ll be sure and bring that up with I take it back to the Vape shop. It’s just weird that this has happened to 3 different mods over the last 2 months. My last mod I had for 2 years and no battery issues with the Samsung.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Attached photo. They came from Madvapes store where I’ve shopped for the last 2 years. Never an issue like this.

I've got some like that too and never had a problem. Do the ends of the battery look alright? I would think there would be some sign of physical damage if the battery had vented. Also, wouldn't it quit working?

hineybadger

Feb 18, 2020
    I've got some like that too and never had a problem. Do the ends of the battery look alright? I would think there would be some sign of physical damage if the battery had vented. Also, wouldn't it quit working?

The ends all look great and normal. The Mod will not turn on at all. Last night the mod powered up with only USB hooked but obviously doesn’t fire unless the battery is inserted. This morning it doesn’t show any signs of life with battery and USB plugged in. Very strange.

Reactions: hittman

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I saw your Swag post. The Swag is not water resistance like the Aegis so the tank could have been the culprit.

There is nothing inside the device that contains fluid. Batteries do contain fluid and should they vent, or the top seal is broken, they will ooze fluid. So given the Aegis is water resistant, the only logical explanation for fluid being inside must be from the battery.

That sticker is just a mandatory shipping label. The brand and model of the battery should be printed on the wrap. It maybe under the sticker (which is fine to remove).

Not pointing fingers at Madvapes, but counterfeit batteries do and can enter the distribution chain and a retailer may not be aware that what they are selling are fakes. Counterfeits have gotten so good at aesthetically mimicking that in some cases they are visually indistinguishable.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Have all your batteries come from the same vendor?

Because I don’t believe in coincidence, I would think that three failed mods all with fluid in them are related incidents. The common factor would be the batteries.

Not to cast aspersions on the site where you got them, but I’d recommend getting some from a source known for reliable batteries. There are several but I use

18650 Battery Store | 3.7V Li-ion Rechargeable Cells, Chargers, Batteries and Wraps

Or

Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery/cell distributor

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    I'd be more inclined to question the waterproof rating of the device than to consider the battery venting. If you're vaping a tank rated at 50+ watts at less than half that i would expect the tank to leak. You wont be vapourising all the liquid and the coil will be flooding. This will then find its way into the device. The viscosity of the liquid you say is coming out of the device is perplexing, unless you are using very high PG juice.
    Does the discharge smell of anything ?
    If the answer is yes, it smells fruity, then it's the juice !

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I'd be more inclined to question the waterproof rating of the device than to consider the battery venting. If you're vaping a tank rated at 50+ watts at less than half that i would expect the tank to leak. You wont be vapourising all the liquid and the coil will be flooding. This will then find its way into the device. The viscosity of the liquid you say is coming out of the device is perplexing, unless you are using very high PG juice.
    If the answer is yes, it smells fruity, then it's the juice !

I would think that you would be able to tell the difference between pg and water. This problem is very confusing. I would think that if it was pg then it would feel slippery to the touch where water wouldn't.

hineybadger

Feb 18, 2020
    [QUOTE="ppeeble, post: 22455615, member: 115541"The viscosity of the liquid you say is coming out of the device is perplexing, unless you are using very high PG juice.
    If the answer is yes, it smells fruity, then it's the juice ![/QUOTE]

It's house branded juice from Madvapes. I'm pretty sure it's high PG since it is very thin IMO. They also have a "Prime" line but don't carry it in Cherry Pom, which is all I've ever used. The discharge has no smell and def closer to the characteristics of water than e-juice. I'm thinking that the lower wattage combo'd with the thin juice and low airflow (quarter open) may be the culprit.

Reactions: hittman

hineybadger

Feb 18, 2020
    When you figure it out, please let us know what it is. It sure seems like a lot of water to be condensation and I've never had anything get inside of any of my solo mods.

Will do. I got a new Solo Mod yesterday and a lower wattage coil (20-50w). Worked great yesterday (vaped at 30w). False inhaled and used a tissue to clean out any leftover unburnt juice before going to bed. Removed tank and stored in pantry where I always have for 2 years.

Get a good nights sleep and wake up for work. Get Solo mod out of pantry eager to see if it will work. 5 clicks and nothing. Remove battery hatch and battery. Battery is wet on the top and a few light brown spots. Hold mod upright and out comes the watery liquid. FM not Laughing. I honestly can’t make this .... up.

I honestly think it’s their house juice. Maybe just a bad batch or something. But the one 60ml bottle I got has been part of the killing of all the mods I’ve gotten in the last month. Think about it. I had a Vaporesso Swag for two years and never a new battery or anything. Get new bottle of Madvapes house juice and it dies. Get a Nord AIO 22 with no air flow adjustment or heat adjustment. It dies 4 to 5 days later with water coming out of the airflow holes. Couple new Swag 2’s die with watery liquid coming from battery cell area. Couple new Solos just this past week and all die with a watery substance coming from battery cell area, USB port and the top of the mod where the tank connects.

Is there any such thing as vendors cutting juice to get more bang for their buck? They’ve never questioned me when I come in every other day to get a replacement. And they have always been great with customer service for the last two years I’ve been going to them.

I'm posting a pic of the battery when I took it out this morning and the paper towel after letting it sit in the cell for a few hours.

Attachments

• 1CCBCC92-384E-4BD8-92FC-BD2012110906.jpeg
      1CCBCC92-384E-4BD8-92FC-BD2012110906.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 66
    • 383AA596-56CC-468F-A516-8836DA9F87DB.jpeg
      383AA596-56CC-468F-A516-8836DA9F87DB.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 68
    Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread