Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    100% agree. The thick seal around the cap area also adds to the pressure here which in combination, is where I believe these thread issues are arising. The seal itself causes quite a bit of resistance when screwing/unscrewing the cap which makes it very hard to get a feel for how much pressure should be applied when removing it. I think if they were to add a smaller spring-loaded ring that sits under the seal or created a sleeve connected to the positive battery contact that when pressed down by the battery, would slightly retract to give the seal a little more give, might help to alleviate this a bit. This sounds like an engineering nightmare though, and they'd have to redo the whole threading/seal system - not something I'd imagine they're going to pursue.

Well they have version 2 of the solo that they call the S100 and they actually put a thicker oring on it lol. Looks like a 2mm whereas the Solo v1 looks to be about 1.5mm. Threads are still short as the Solo v1 and if they are courser it's not by much as far as I can see in this video.

Much nicer looking mod IMHO. No version 2 of the Max yet, last I checked. I suppose they will call it the M100 seeing how the new Solo is S100 and the new Legend is L200.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    The fact that some people dont have problem with battery caps after years leads me to believe that some battery caps are made with better material...

If thats the case i dont think geekvape fixed it but most likely that some of the blocks of that alloy they used to make the battery caps was just softer material than it should be maybe from their supplier...

Also i was swapping batteries one per day and after like 3-4 months my cap still screws but only on the last thread it tightens so yeah it slowly scratches no matter if i was screwing it properly lol... But if someone vapes very low wattages and doesnt swap batteries every day is possible to last years even if the material of the cap is not better....now consider the material is also better then for sure it will last many years

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Well they have version 2 of the solo that they call the S100 and they actually put a thicker oring on it lol. Looks like a 2mm whereas the Solo v1 looks to be about 1.5mm. Threads are still short as the Solo v1 and if they are courser it's not by much as far as I can see in this video.

Much nicer looking mod IMHO. No version 2 of the Max yet, last I checked. I suppose they will call it the M100 seeing how the new Solo is S100 and the new Legend is L200.

I should be getting the S100 soon for review so I'm curious to see how the battery cap is. The do have an M100 but it's the Mini 2 with built in battery. I posted a review on it yesterday.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    In my opinion they should make those threads in those kods all from stainless steel or any type of defent metal but kost important to make thic and deep threads even if its just 2 threads lol still better cause that way u know that they wont cross thread if someone is not experienced and also if u dont overtightened then caps will last for ever

deevey

Aug 13, 2012
    Philippines
    My Aegis Boost Pro has developed the same issue within just 3 months. Threads are all "there" but they are corroded to the point that it is only barely holding on now.

No, I've never cross threaded, and O-ring removed.

I had the same issue with the Solo after about a year. It's pretty obvious that metal is being eaten away. That black "gunk" on the threads are pieces of corroded metal.

To me, it looks like an corrosion weld which can happen when two dissimilar metals react to each other. The current passing though the cap would speed up this process and basically ends up stripping the threads by forming "tiny welds" on the threads and then further breaking off tiny pieces of metal every time the cap is re-opened eventually leaving you with no threads.

I'd guess that a change to using the same materials for the cap and thread would probably completely mitigate this issue.

For the record I change batteries about 3 times a day.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    My Aegis Boost Pro has developed the same issue within just 3 months. Threads are all "there" but they are corroded to the point that it is only barely holding on now.

No, I've never cross threaded, and O-ring removed.

I had the same issue with the Solo after about a year. It's pretty obvious that metal is being eaten away. That black "gunk" on the threads are pieces of corroded metal.

To me, it looks like an corrosion weld which can happen when two dissimilar metals react to each other. The current passing though the cap would speed up this process and basically ends up stripping the threads by forming "tiny welds" on the threads and then further breaking off tiny pieces of metal every time the cap is re-opened eventually leaving you with no threads.

I'd guess that a change to using the same materials for the cap and thread would probably completely mitigate this issue.

For the record I change batteries about 3 times a day.

So are you saying that cleaning the threads often would prolong their usefulness?

deevey

Aug 13, 2012
    Philippines
    So are you saying that cleaning the threads often would prolong their usefulness?

Nope, cleaning the threads only removes some of the worn metal, it may stop it grinding off more, but wont prevent the underlying issue that these two different metal types are fusing together when closed and breaking off tiny pieces every time the cap is reopened.

As long as they continue to use different materials for the threads in the unit and cap this will continue to happen.

Last edited:

deevey

Aug 13, 2012
    Philippines
    I wonder if noalox or something would help.

Noalox might be too harsh as is really only meant to set and forget jobs, not for applications where you screw something on and off daily.

It "might" help with the corrosion aspect, as the conductive material (zinc) may actually act like sandpaper on the threads and wear them down faster depending on the brass alloy that Geekvape use.

Perhaps an Aluminum based Anti Seize compound would be less harsh and might work.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Nope, cleaning the threads only removes some of the worn metal, it may stop it grinding off more, but wont prevent the underlying issue that these two different metal types are fusing together when closed and breaking off tiny pieces every time the cap is reopened.

As long as they continue to use different materials for the threads in the unit and cap this will continue to happen.

Not asking if it would prevent the problem, rather if it would prolong the cap's lifespan.

Reactions: Superuser187

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have a Provari that I bought second hand and the threads are very smooth but you can tell there's something on them. The previous owner put something on them, I think. All I know is that it's a joy to screw and unscrew the cap, which is about all I enjoy about it lol.

deevey

Aug 13, 2012
    Philippines
    I have a Provari that I bought second hand and the threads are very smooth but you can tell there's something on them. The previous owner put something on them, I think. All I know is that it's a joy to screw and unscrew the cap, which is about all I enjoy about it lol.

Provari's were in a different league altogether (with a price to match!) vs the almost-throwaway-price mods nowadays. If memory serves right they used a really tough stainless all round. Threads were always buttery smooth and you could use a conductive pastes without ever any risk of grinding threads down.

deevey

Aug 13, 2012
    Philippines

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 27, 2013
    OKC, OK
    Depends on the corrosion protection of the grease, but probably dry lube or conductive grease are only going to provide limited protection if the cap and the body are in fact dissimilar metals, that’s a perfect recipe for galvanic corrosion. Grease may help keep the moisture down a little, but galvanic corrosion is difficult to prevent unless you can actually isolate the two metals.

• Agree
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread