Status
Not open for further replies.

cowfood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
Raleigh
Hi.

First, I'm new to the forums but a quick learner on the subject.. Been vaping about 3 months and moved right into vivi novas.. from vision spinners to provari, and now I am interested in the genesis style.

I have a Provari and an aga-t with 400 ss mesh and 32awg A1 Kanthal wire. I Oxidized the mesh and coiled it up, 4-5 wraps clockwise, My question is, why would I be seeing 3.0 ohms? Do I need to recoil? Also, I get vapor, prime it a couple of times but I am only seeing half the vapor a vivi nova gives, is this normal? I inhale differently to try to maximize the vapor, but still no dice. No hotspots persay, no errors on the provari display. Should the coil be tight around the wick or slightly loose? But maybe more importantly, what should the VTF be like on a genesis wicked and coiled properly vs the VTF of a vivi nova? Intially I get a pleasant flavor, but it soon gets dry and burnt tasting (wick hole lined up with wick, and tipping to juice)..

I understand there are many variables when jumping into this rba genesis world, but perhaps there are a few excelent links/threads that would make the search a tad easier? Especially ones that explain how I should be experiencing this to its' fullest.

-CF

Grimheart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2012
Hell, Mississippi
Hi.

First, I'm new to the forums but a quick learner on the subject.. Been vaping about 3 months and moved right into vivi novas.. from vision spinners to provari, and now I am interested in the genesis style.

I have a Provari and an aga-t with 400 ss mesh and 32awg A1 Kanthal wire. I Oxidized the mesh and coiled it up, 4-5 wraps clockwise, My question is, why would I be seeing 3.0 ohms? Do I need to recoil? Also, I get vapor, prime it a couple of times but I am only seeing half the vapor a vivi nova gives, is this normal? I inhale differently to try to maximize the vapor, but still no dice. No hotspots persay, no errors on the provari display. Should the coil be tight around the wick or slightly loose? But maybe more importantly, what should the VTF be like on a genesis wicked and coiled properly vs the VTF of a vivi nova? Intially I get a pleasant flavor, but it soon gets dry and burnt tasting (wick hole lined up with wick, and tipping to juice)..

I understand there are many variables when jumping into this RBA genesis world, but perhaps there are a few excelent links/threads that would make the search a tad easier? Especially ones that explain how I should be experiencing this to its' fullest.

-CF

I have the exact same problems with my Cobra. I've cleaned it, boxed it up and am about ready to trade it for something else. The level of frustration that comes with rebuildables makes me love my tank/carto system even more. I know this isn't much help, just know that genesis attys are not very noob friendly.

exodus454

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
Western Connecticut
Hi.

I understand there are many variables when jumping into this RBA genesis world, but perhaps there are a few excelent links/threads that would make the search a tad easier? Especially ones that explain how I should be experiencing this to its' fullest.

-CF

What voltage are you trying it at? With 3ohm you should be up in the 5.5v+ range. Are you sure it's wicking well?

Here's a good thread - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/330407-500-ss-mesh.html

Last edited:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
So far my best results have come with #400 mesh with 32 ga kanthal a1 about 6 turns ends up 1.8 + or - and I do a coax version a small one inside one just big enough to fit the hole. I also use the cigarette paper method. you wrap the top of the outer wick with cig paper so that is comes from the bottom of the hole to the top of the wick then you wrap the wirek then when you put it in you dry burn it so you burn off the paper. You still have to oxidize the wick. I use a mix of water and VG to oxidize. One dip in water then in VG then 3 or so water and then VG at the end. So fare the has done the best for me.

Is is it just me or do you think the other hole should be a bit bigger so you can use a silica wick as an option (4 .8mm strand type)?

Last edited:
I have the exact same problems with my Cobra. I've cleaned it, boxed it up and am about ready to trade it for something else. The level of frustration that comes with rebuildables makes me love my tank/carto system even more. I know this isn't much help, just know that genesis attys are not very noob friendly.

That's what I thought to begin with but I figured out that patience is the key

LTG

Grimheart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2012
Hell, Mississippi
That's what I thought to begin with but I figured out that patience is the key

LTG

I'm just really frustrated at the moment. I'm completely out of wire and have read and watched youtube until my eyes bled. I'll get back on it in a few weeks after I've calmed down. I have got it to work but only for a short time. When it works it's a fantastic vape so I know what it's capable of.

I'm just really frustrated at the moment. I'm completely out of wire and have read and watched youtube until my eyes bled. I'll get back on it in a few weeks after I've calmed down. I have got it to work but only for a short time. When it works it's a fantastic vape so I know what it's capable of.

I got an mov v1 genesis and did mess with it till I threw it across the room, and after all that it became a five min think if that so no worries and keep the cobra you'll love it that's what I got for x mas and it is vaping like I champ

LTG

tartanraven

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
St. Louis, MO
1: Make sure you have no crimps in the wick
2: Make sure the wick is off the bottom of the tank (1mm)
3: RBA's are normally not chain vaping devices
4: RBA's are all about practice practice practice
5: It took me a month of failed coils...improperly oxidised wicks...threats regarding the things meeting a wall forcefully until I finally figured it out.

cheehuae

Moved On
Dec 25, 2012
Houston
  • Deleted by classwife

cowfood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
Raleigh
3.0ohms is about right for the amount of wraps you used. The coil shouldn't be tight nor loose, it just needs to be touching the wick, which may need some time to beak in until it wicks better. I think you need to just let it break in. BTW, how thick is your juice?

I'll let patience set in with it. I am using 70/30 - pg/vg "Just Peachy - Heathers Heavenly Vapes" I have another AGA-T, but it came with problems, 510 drip tips won't fit, missing screw, air leak around o-ring. Discount vapers dot com will replace it so when it comes I want to try a 50/50 mix "sweat leaf - mountain vapers".

The coil is touching the wick but only just, I can pull the wick and adjust it up or down without breaking the leads. I normally vape my vivi tanks 2.4 ohm around 4.9 volts on the provari. I tried the aga-t from 4.9 - 5.4 at 3.0 ohms and it seems to be getting more "broken in" today. What Ohm-age is best served on this setup? I read alot of ihybrid people using LR for obvious reasons. Is not the whole point of spending even more money on those beasts to use genesis style on LR as 3.7 is their set voltage, or is it some other mystical thang like piercing and excessive tats' :p.

Ohh lastly, I hear about the "vacuum effect" unlike the butterfly effect, I am getting juice all over the place with the fill hole open.

Thanks for the help!
-CF

cowfood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
Raleigh
So far my best results have come with #400 mesh with 32 ga kanthal a1 about 6 turns ends up 1.8 + or - and I do a coax version a small one inside one just big enough to fit the hole. I also use the cigarette paper method. you wrap the top of the outer wick with cig paper so that is comes from the bottom of the hole to the top of the wick then you wrap the wirek then when you put it in you dry burn it so you burn off the paper. You still have to oxidize the wick. I use a mix of water and VG to oxidize. One dip in water then in VG then 3 or so water and then VG at the end. So fare the has done the best for me.

Is is it just me or do you think the other hole should be a bit bigger so you can use a silica wick as an option (4 .8mm strand type)?

As for the silica wick, found this messy vid:

AGA-T FG Wick - YouTube

Not sure I'll bother with that. Anyhow, yes, I used the cig paper method to coil, and I am completely unclear on what that is supposed to accomplish? My best guess was that it would leave a tiny gap between wick and coil after it is burnt off? I followed rip tripper's video on how to do that, though he wasn't very clear on the why you should do this part.

I'll try the coax method at some point, does it really soak in the juice more efficiently?

tazardar

Nov 1, 2010
germany
As for the silica wick, found this messy vid:
Anyhow, yes, I used the cig paper method to coil, and I am completely unclear on what that is supposed to accomplish? My best guess was that it would leave a tiny gap between wick and coil after it is burnt off?

It is supposed to create a thin layer of isolating carbon between the coil and the SS. Oxidizing your SS is probably the hardest part for beginners about SS attys, so the cig paper method makes it easier as you don't have to worry about not oxidizing it enough/too much.

x1zz1x

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
ILLINOIS
Noob here. I have the Provari mini and the Aga-T. I agree, it takes alot of patience. I started searching and reading from different forums regarding rebuildables. Just to be ready, I bought 32 & 28 kanthal A1 gauge wire from ebay and bought some 400 & 500 mesh.

Tried about 3 times before achieving success. My set-up right now is 500 mesh, twisted 32 gauge. 3/4 wrap. Provari 3.4 v and 1.2 ohms. Any higher on the voltage and I get Error messages.

Still learning here and keep on trying different set-up. My only complain with the Aga-T is the hole not lining up with the wick. Mine just slightly past the wick when fully tightened (Thats a full rotation of sanding just to line up the hole and wick). Still debating if I should bore it to 1/16th for a loose pull.

Im now getting ready for my adventure on the foggatti type 22.

BikerBob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
VA
When I received my first rebuildable, I used this method: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...57-got-my-wick-coil-perfect-no-hot-spots.html. After initial success, did another one without problems. I thought I had it mastered. Next one: pretty much your experience.

Seems any spot where the coil is not 'lightly' touching the wick will produce a hot spot. Not hot enough to glow red so you can see it, but hot enough to make the vapor taste burnt. I use a jeweller's loupe, and some fairly pointy tweezers to coax the coil so that it touches the wick all the way around, from top to bottom, not too tight, not too loose. Then I remove the wick, and oxidize it again, and re-insert it. I sometimes have to repeat either/both steps several (many) times, before it starts working well.

Along the learning curve, I tried the rolling paper method. Dry-burning it just burnt the paper away, and didn't help anything. Getting it wet with eliquid before initial use did seem to help, but produced a 'burnt paper' taste. Removed wick, oxidized again, and all was good. Rolling paper helped, but was not the cure-all. This wick is still in service, after about 3+ months of 2.5 ml/day, and has been re-coiled three times.

My older wicks are no longer perfectly round, so I'll also twist them a little in an attempt to have the coil touch a different part of the wick. After enough fiddling, it starts working again. This may be due to the coil needing a 'break-in', or by my rushing and scraping away some of the existing oxidation.

Some devices prefer a wick that is a loose fit where it goes into the tank. Others can be quite snug. My mini-DID clones perfer a looser fit, otherwise they don't seem to wick properly, perhaps needing the looser fit to provide venting for the liquid. Too tight, and they get dry and stay dry. Some devices like their filler-screw removed or loose.

Another way I get a burnt taste is to have the voltage wrong. I found a SS wick with 2.1 ohm coil to need a different voltage than a silica wick with 2.1 ohm coil. Some eliquids that liked higher voltage on silica prefer lower voltage on SS. Vice versa with other liquids. (taste is subjective)

The post by exodus454 gave a great link. I've posted what I've tried, along with my observations.:2c:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-unoxidized-hot-spot-free-cleanable-coil.html
near perfect coils everytime

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/365999-un-oxidized-wicks.html
skip all that oxidation crap

doing these together works wonderfull

i have not oxidized a wick ever and have been using the same two for weeks now, and takes about 5 minutes to set up a coil and then just slide the wick in.
some like solid wicks i use a paperclip and make straw wicks.

you will get much more help and hints looking through the RBA section.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread