AGA-T: Silica Wick Setup That's Working Really Well For Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

markhm1978

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
Silver Spring, MD
I just received The AGA-T rebuildable tank atomizer yesterday and have been tooling around ever since. So far I like using 2mm silica wick, folding a small loop at the top of the wick and wrapping 32AWG Nichrome around the loop five times. Mine wicks amazingly well while chain-vaping. Here's a picture I took of the setup:

20121125182646Cropped.jpg

The air-hole in the cap lines up perfectly with the coil when fully tightened, that's why I decided to put it there. Hope this helps someone out there!

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I just received The AGA-T rebuildable tank atomizer yesterday and have been tooling around ever since. So far I like using 2mm silica wick, folding a small loop at the top of the wick and wrapping 32AWG Nichrome around the loop five times. Mine wicks amazingly well while chain-vaping. Here's a picture I took of the setup:

View attachment 154155

The air-hole in the cap lines up perfectly with the coil when fully tightened, that's why I decided to put it there. Hope this helps someone out there!

I tried this on one of mine, I'll be doing it to my other one tomorrow. I used two 2mm wicks with 32g wire in same wick configuration.
edit: I am removing the SS wicks to do this.

edit:eek:ne 2mm wick looped with both ends going through hole into juice.

Last edited:

markhm1978

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Try it with a SS wick, you won't want to go back, once you get the hang of it that is... It isn't really hard, just a bit of a learning curve.

I've been reading up and watching videos on SS Wicks and I'm definitely interested in trying it. They don't look too hard to put together so I think I'll get on this soon. Looking up an affordable supplier of SS Mesh now... :)

markhm1978

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
Silver Spring, MD
I tried the silica wick on my DUD. IT works really well for a half a day but when the gunk builds up it starts to taste like crap very fast. Does yours do that?

The juice I use at the moment is pretty clean. When my coil does gunk up, I crank up the voltage and fire the coil for a bit to burn up the gunk. Usually do this close to a refill.

markhm1978

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
Silver Spring, MD
I tried this message following a lot of failures. Good coil but still a burnt silica taste. I think I'm done with silica.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with it. Which device are you using and what voltage and resistance are you running your coil at? Does your airhole line up with the coil?

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
The juice I use at the moment is pretty clean. When my coil does gunk up, I crank up the voltage and fire the coil for a bit to burn up the gunk. Usually do this close to a refill.

Yeah....I use 80pg/20vg RY4 liquid...eliquids don't get much cleaner than that. But I would get terrible burnt tasting silica taste half way through a tank. I did line up the wick and the air hole. But I didn't use a big loop that you did. I wonder if that will make a big difference? Do you have two strands of the silica wick going into the tank or just one?

markhm1978

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Yeah....I use 80pg/20vg RY4 liquid...eliquids don't get much cleaner than that. But I would get terrible burnt tasting silica taste half way through a tank. I did line up the wick and the air hole. But I didn't use a big loop that you did. I wonder if that will make a big difference? Do you have two strands of the silica wick going into the tank or just one?

I made the loop a little bigger than I wanted but if anything, it holds some extra juice to wick while vaping like a steam train. :) I only have one strand going into the tank and then the loop above. Thought it would leak with one 2mm strand but that's not the case. I also make sure to keep the tank tilted or horizontal when running a little low on juice.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I used the silica that came with my AGA-T to do my 2nd one and it would not wick properly so I tore it down and built it with my store bought silica and all is well now. Maybe I should have flamed it first but I just usually just dry burn the new wick and coil.
I used the store bought stuff on the first one by the way.

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
ugh i hate silica with a passion. nasty mucky after taste to me. but i guess it works for some.

i love my AGA with SS mesh. i finally was able to build a very nice 1.2ohm coil with no hotspots/shorts and im so relieved. still cant get my DID clone to work properly, but now that my aga is vaping great ill give the DID another try.

bulletmonkey

Jul 9, 2012
wales

View attachment 154155

I just tried this but in the other hole ( to line air hole up with wick on mine ) with one leg of the wire screwed under the screw on the left of pic and one to centre post, it seems to be working really well. Is this set up I have done ok? Or should it be through the screw post hole?

markhm1978

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
Silver Spring, MD
I just tried this but in the other hole ( to line air hole up with wick on mine ) with one leg of the wire screwed under the screw on the left of pic and one to centre post, it seems to be working really well. Is this set up I have done ok? Or should it be through the screw post hole?

Glad your air-hole lines up with one of the wick holes. :) You're setup is also correct, you can use one of the two screws or the screw post for the negative connection. That's the great thing about this device, it can be set up many different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread