Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I am so pleased with my AGA-T's wicked with silica that my monthly order of smok DC cartomizers is just about history. My setup is very similar to the picture in the first post of this thread but I have enlarged the fill hole to match the wick hole as well as increased the air hole size. I'm still trying to figure out what the fuss is with having the air hole line up with the wick when screwed all the way down, it seals on the o-ring before the threads start.

markhm1978

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2012
Silver Spring, MD
I am so pleased with my AGA-T's wicked with silica that my monthly order of Smok DC cartomizers is just about history. My setup is very similar to the picture in the first post of this thread but I have enlarged the fill hole to match the wick hole as well as increased the air hole size. I'm still trying to figure out what the fuss is with having the air hole line up with the wick when screwed all the way down, it seals on the o-ring before the threads start.

Sounds like you've found your sweet spot, that's awesome! For me, the air-hole likes to move around from time to time when not fully or mostly tightened. Bottom line is that I'd rather have a big juicy o-ring and a top cap with no threads. The AGA was in my budget range so I can't complain, really liking it.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Here is my AGA-T with 3.5mm silica. It has one coil of 28g nicrome @2.4 ohm. The wick comes up through the wick hole then through the coil and back down through the ground screw hole thay's right beside it. Ground for the coil is done with NR over to the ground post. It is amazing.

AGA-T 3mm silica.jpg

Last edited:

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
I have a couple of ChIDs and an AGA set up with silica. I just run the wick vertically, the same as a ss mesh wick. Flavor is a bit muted with silica, but I think that ss wicks are a little overpowering flavorwise. Batteries last longer with silica.

The silica wicks seem to gunk up faster, but I don't get a tank of brown juice that I usually dump out, either. Need a middle ground.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
I just tried this but in the other hole ( to line air hole up with wick on mine ) with one leg of the wire screwed under the screw on the left of pic and one to centre post, it seems to be working really well. Is this set up I have done ok? Or should it be through the screw post hole?

I don't even have that post in my AGA anymore - I removed it to use a second ss wick. I don't use 2 wicks anymore, though. Now it is a fill hole.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
I don't even have that post in my AGA anymore - I removed it to use a second ss wick. I don't use 2 wicks anymore, though. Now it is a fill hole.
I bored out the threads on the existing fill hole to use as a wick hole and increased both wick holes a little. I have my other AGA-T set up with mesh, it's working very good. The one with the silica in the video has a similar configuration as post # 19 above but with a much larger diameter coil as that one was strangling the wick. The video was meant more as a conversation starter than a question.

papercrow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Baltimore
What do you mean when you say 'I should have flamed it'? Do you mean the silica or the coil? The silica that came with mine was crumbly and shedding needle like fibers everywhere. I was wondering if I ran it through a torch flame if that would help.

Instead I used cotton wick (mesh isn't here yet) which was awesome for 5 minutes...then burned straight in half.

It was my first time building an RBA and I got it to fire so I shall call it a success!!

I used the silica that came with my AGA-T to do my 2nd one and it would not wick properly so I tore it down and built it with my store bought silica and all is well now. Maybe I should have flamed it first but I just usually just dry burn the new wick and coil.
I used the store bought stuff on the first one by the way.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
What do you mean when you say 'I should have flamed it'? Do you mean the silica or the coil? The silica that came with mine was crumbly and shedding needle like fibers everywhere. I was wondering if I ran it through a torch flame if that would help.

Instead I used cotton wick (mesh isn't here yet) which was awesome for 5 minutes...then burned straight in half.

It was my first time building an RBA and I got it to fire so I shall call it a success!!
I was referring to the silica, I always heat the wire with i lighter.

haze

Unregistered Supplier
Oct 9, 2012
BOSTON MA
lavavapor.com
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Supplier discussing business in unauthorized area
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread