How are you preparing for Vaping Armageddon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
There is a tsunami of anti-vaping legislation being proposed across the country. The vaping community is winning some in getting the proposals defeated, but it is losing other battles as well.

It will only be a question of time before the hammer of regulation falls down on us. I will be going on 4 years in April, and the only reason I vape is because it has been the only successful smoking cessation therapy after too many decades of 1.5 packs/day of Reds.

Part of the reason for this wave of anti-vaping legislation has to do with the numbers. Estimates put the ecig market at $1.7 Billion. IMHO, this number is too conservative.

The cigarette market is $71 Billion in the US. Numbers from Europe where there is a tax at the federal level and financials from tobacco companies show revenue declines of around 5%. That is $3.5 Billion. It does not include the number of vapers who never smoked and are now vaping which I think is significant-especially with minors. This industry is far too fragmented to get accurate DOC numbers.

Those kinds of numbers will get the attention of any legislator. Of course, Big Tobacco and Pharma are lobbying, but they do not have to try very hard.

The other reason is the incredible popularity of ecigs with kids blowing Bay Area fogs and being obnoxious and public about it (it's what every generation of kids does). Lord! There was even a thread here about kids vaping in class. My question is: what happens when one of those sub ohm pipe bombs goes off in a classroom? Even as a vaper, I would NEVER tolerate kids vaping in class, especially one which my daughter were attending.

We vapers need to realize that we are still a minority. So spare me your polemics about big money interests and left wing big brother doing mind control. Vapers are ticking off the majority. It is a battle we will lose.

Me..... I am hoarding right now. I am a middle of the road vaper and prefer VV middle power at 6 mg. Thank God for Fasttech. I have dropped about a $grand (3 months of smokes) on VV devices, rebuildables (kangers for travel, Genesis and Kayfun style for home/office), and even some mechanicals with Kicks as backups. They cannot control resistance wire and wick. The DNA chipset is available for sale, and I could easily build a mod around it.

I DIY my own juices. They cannot regulate flavorings, PG or VG. Nicotine is a bit of a problem, but it is a popular insecticide as well. I have a Master's in Chemical Engineering, so in a pinch I could extract nicotine.

What are you doing to protect your supply?

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
I have a REO, I use my RM2, and I DIY, since you diy your own juices, something I have been meaning to test, is just unflavored nic base... supposedly its really good... probably going to mix a batch relatively soon...

kanthal will always be available, cotton will always be available, pg and vg will always be available, flavorings, psh you can make your own...

like coffee? heat pg or vg in a pan with coffee grounds in it... heat it for a while... filter out the coffee grounds... coffee flavoring...

batteries, well they will still be readily available... flashlights...

the only thing that worries me is the Nicotine, (I would probably do fine without, my wife, probably not) the apocalypse(sp) would be announced, there would be a window... i would buy up as much nic as i could in that window... its the only thing thats going to be hard to get a hold of...

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I have slowly dropped my nic levels to the point I vape 0 nic 99% of the time. I only vape juice with a low nic level when I feel the anxiety and depression creeping in. I'd rather vape a little nic than spend my life on nasty meds. /me shrugs it works for me

I have multiple RBAs and RDAs and a pair of Divers for my tanks

I have 2 REO grands and a Chi clone

I have a vamo and soon will have a provari

I have a lifetime supply of nic in the freezer (realize I use very llittle)

I DIY 90% of my juice and could live without the few I do not DIY if I had to

Do not get me wrong we should and must fight the legislation. I simply prepared for a worst case scenario

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
Threads like this make me nervous! I am new to vaping and can't imagine it being taken away so soon.
This is one of the only reasons I'm considering a provari right now, in case something happens that thing will last me forever.
This also makes me want to order an insane amount of ejuice too. :(

I shall be returning to Chicago relatively soon... if the S hits the fan... hit me up...

best advice i can give (i do not think it will get extreme or near this level, i believe there will be heavy taxation, and heavy regulation, limits on flavors, if any, and possibly some devices limitations) is to get a few mods with removable batteries...

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Have you read this Washington Post article?

It even suggests that 'promoting electronic cigarettes to smokers should be a public health priority' and that 'We should make e-cigarettes accessible to smokers by eschewing hefty taxes, if we tax them at all, and offering free samples and starter kits'.

Times are a-changing. The tide is turning.

All that being said, I'm still stocked up on nicotine and intend to continue stocking up on supplies as I can. I'm also learning to wrap my own coils. Better safe than sorry.

Vaping has saved my life. I refuse to allow even the slightest risk of it being interfered with. But, that's me. I'm a natural hoarder.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
I'm worried it's true, but I think I have enough time to lower my nic before the UK government try to take things away from me. If not it'll be the black market for me I guess.

is it bad that my first thought was to try and implement the way that people smuggled booze into Afghanistan and Iraq, was the first thing to cross my mind with this...

Ill ship ya 3 2 liter bottles of mtn dew e liquid in 2 liter bottles of mtn dew...

louis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Mt Vernon,Texas
Regulation is a forgone thing as there is a lot of money involved. Also vendors are selling to minors & that is the real problem facing us. Also the FDA wants their money to test & regulate nicotine. But it all comes down to the statement. "Follow the Money". If it gets a vote a politician will fall in line either way.
Buy a lot of nic. & freeze it. PG & VG is safe & flavorings will be OK also, but the nic. is the key.
If you can go without nic your ok & some vapors have started because it "looks cool".
I started to quit a 48 year habit & both myself & my doctor are very happy.
Finally got the wife off the analogs & she is happy. Only problem is that she chain vapes & her juice bill is killing me. LOL She doesn't like my DIY brews.
But just remember we really need to be ready as the hammer is going to fall eventually on us all. PREPARE NOW!

Rant over,
louis

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
No worries about hardware/flavors. Nic is the simple and easy choke. IMO- it's the only thing the hammer will drop on. If you can buy glass pipes at a brick and mortar in almost every city in the country then you can buy pv's. Why would anyone regulate the vaping zero nic? It would serve no purpose.

I have a 5+ year nic supply properly stored in my ice box. I may add to it but I'm finding myself vaping lower strength and less ml's a day as the months pass so I may not need to.

DIY juice is awesome. I haven't bought from a store in 6+ months. If anyone is worried about vapocalypse then just read the DIY about storing nic. Just be super careful and do it properly and worries vanish overnight.

IMO- if the hammer drops on nic, vendors who don't want to deal with the nic regs will just start selling their flavor blends. Mixing is simple.

As for vape bans, I can't see them ever being worse than smoking bans. I dealt fine with those for years. No biggie. If regs come down hot and heavy I'm fairly confident it will be ripe to loosen down the line as well. Once society accepts that something is relatively benign people stop caring about it and things loosen. Look no further than colorado and washington state for proof of that.

Last edited:

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Yup----a thread that will serve to bring out one of the best qualities that humans have to offer-----hoarding!!

Oh well. A little extreme, and I think a bit silly by now. I'm thinking that regulation is a bit late now. The cat is too far out of the bag, I think, and the health benefits are now fairly widely known, for any meaningful bans that can possibly hold. Nic, maybe.
Then again, 0 nic is really not hard to take, as I have weaned myself down to 0 nic. (Try it, you'll like it-----it is easier than I thought possible, as the nic hit from ecigs is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and MUCH less addictive, imho, than that from a cigarette.).

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How are you preparing for Vaping Armageddon?
* Learning how to rebuild atomizers. Kanthal and cotton will not be restricted. Lithium-Ion batteries won't be either.

* Putting a substantial stash of 100 mg/ml ("High-Test") nic base in the freezer. A liter is of that is enough to last even a hard-core nicotine addict like me a couple of years. In glass bottles with the air in the head-space displaced with an inert gas like argon, and stored in a dark freezer, it should last pretty much forever. PG and VG won't be restricted. Food flavorings won't be either.

the only thing that worries me is the Nicotine [...] the apocalypse(sp) would be announced, there would be a window... i would buy up as much nic as i could in that window...
If you wait until then, you'll pay through the nose during that window. Just look at what happened with guns and ammo about one year ago, when the politicians were posturing about new restrictions.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
If you wait until then, you'll pay through the nose during that window. Just look at what happened with guns and ammo about one year ago, when the politicians were posturing about new restrictions.

good point, but i didnt mean like publicly announced, i meant more warning signs arising, many of which would come my way first, the military typically sees things first... we are testers.... the h1n1 vaccines, tested on military first... we are all glorified guinea pigs...

but its a wait and see... who knows....

just not going to stock up right now... would have to convince the mrs to do so...

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
Threads like this make me nervous! I am new to vaping and can't imagine it being taken away so soon.
This is one of the only reasons I'm considering a provari right now, in case something happens that thing will last me forever.
This also makes me want to order an insane amount of ejuice too. :(

Relax. Don't run out and waste your money accumulating a bunch of hardware that may quickly be outdated. How will the government ban a battery tube? I feel for the people that went out and bought a 100 egos and ce4's.

Nicotine base is all you need to worry about. Online sales of juice might be banned. Then, when you're forced to pay an insane premium at the B&M, you'll realize why they started popping up on every corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread