almost giddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tornadosiren

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am 43 years old and have been smoking for 25 years. My husband of 23 years is not a smoker, and has never exactly nagged me about it, but of course, he would much prefer a wife who does not smell of smoke. I have tried several times to quit, and have been unable. I am not a woman who lacks motivation or willpower for the most part. About a year ago, I realised I had let myself become dangerously overweight, and in the last 10 months, I have changed my exercise habits, and eating habits and have lost 85 pounds to reach a normal and healthy weight. If I can do that, as much as I adore good food, one would think that quitting smoking would be an easy thing. No such luck. So, after much research, reading and talking with others, I decided that ecigs was the way to go for me. While I am addicted to the nicotine, I do believe very strongly, that the strongest addiction for me is the motion and the sensation of smoking. The patch always solved the nicotine part, but it simply did not do for the motion. So here I am..My order was shipped on friday, and I should have it in the mail on Tuesday. Those damn federal holidays! I truly am almost giddy with the anticipation. I want my hair and clothes to not smell like smoke. I want my fingers and teeth to not have a yellow tinge! I want to be able to add running to my exercise routing without feeling like I am going to pass out from lack of oxygen. I believe 100 percent that this will work for me, and the waiting is killing me! It might also be killing my husband, because he seems to be getting rather tired of me talking about how much I can't wait to get my kit in the mail.
So here I sit waiting..I have become thin, and now it is time to become smoke free!! :p

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Welcome, tornado! Can I share something with you? I'm 45 and I smoked since I was 11 (yes, 11!) A coworker introduced me to the e-cig during a smoke break one day. Since we can't smoke in our house I thought it would be a neat thing to use when the weather wasn't so nice. I wasn't planning on quitting because nothing else I ever tried worked. I couldn't have been more wrong. I got my Riva kit and didn't want a cigarette. That was in September last year. Tomorrow will be 4 months smoke free and I don't even miss cigarettes.

I'm not saying that it'll happen like that for you, but it very well could. You seem like a determined lady and I'm sure that this will work for you!

Lisa B

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Central City, Colorado
Congratulations on your purchase and going into the Stalking the Mailman phase of vaping. I smoked for 33 years and could never quit no matter what I tried, vaping didn't work overnight for me but when I found ECF and the right e-cig and juice I quit in 2 days. It took me months to get there but I did get there and have been smoke free for over 4 months now and don't even have cravings. I love vaping and enjoy all the sweet flavors I make myself now. Enjoy the ride.

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
Welcome tornadosiren! Great determination coming across in your post. I smoked for 48 years, got my starter kit in Aug and haven't thought about a regular cig since. Not everyone can quit so quickly, but that doesn't matter. What does matter is that you're trying and ECF can help!

Please keep us posted and ask anything and everything that pops into your head. People here are FANTASTIC! I couldn't have done it without them.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I am so excited with you !!!!
It is a wonderful thing to be so excited over this !!
I was a 2pad smoker for 40+ years...bought my first kit on a whim....not looking to quit...less than a week later was my last cig !
The 19th will be 10 months for me !!!
I hope it goes as easy for you !!! (I think it will !)

Welcome to ECF !!!!

Good job tsiren! Congrats on the healthier life changes.
Vaping has helped me to cut my smoking in half. Still working on the goal of being analog free.
Keep up the positive attitude and keep your eyes on the prize!
Welcome to ECF. Remember, you're not alone. Always someone here for you to talk to.

Scooter70

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Hershey,Pennsylvania
Welcome to ECF...If you believe 100% that you will quit as you stated,then I am sure it will happen for you.The great people here will help in any way possible.If you do need a cig,then have one...nobody will give you any grief for that because it is a process (for me anyway).Some people can pick up a PV and never smoke again and others may take months to do the same.Sure I still have a few to get me through the day,but compared to 2 weeks ago,I'm way ahead of the game on cigarettes "not smoked",so good luck to you!!

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
omaha
Siren...don't even know you but am very proud of you for the weight loss...I think that the kind of determination in successful weight loss and smoking cessation are pretty comparable. For me it was without a doubt the oral fixation of hand to mouth in smoking/smoking cessation. I rolled my own smokes for 30+ years and smoked about 40+ a day. I have tried every smoke stopping snake oil remedy that has come down the pike {my favorite was the nicoret gum because I found out that 2 pieces of gum instead of 1, and then a cigarette along with that would nearly blow the back of your head off....in a good way lol). When I decided to try vaping I was hoping that the fact that you mimic your old habit in that you have the hand to mouth thingy going on, I was very excited and hopeful. Maybe it was just the fact that I finally got a mindset to finally quit, but I think there is more to it than that. My nic consumption during my smoking years had to be, if not off the charts, at one of the highest levels. The day I picked up my new ego I knew that I had found a way to kick the analog habit. There have still been times that I want a real smoke, and in fact I have just...because. On christmas eve I decided I wanted a real smoke and I had one. It tasted like crap, it smelled and I could smell it on me for a long time after that, but me and my hand rolled drum had been very close for a long time and giving her up just like that was a tough thing to do. Sorry...getting a little long winded here but my point is that if you really want to quit then I can tell you that vaping is a really amazing way to do it. For me it was without a doubt the oral, hand to mouth thing and it has worked out amazingly. I have gone from 40+ hand rolled drummies a day to about 10 since thanksgiving and none since christmas eve. One caveat however....you are about to embark on a new journey of looking for the next best juice, piece of hardware etc....and it never ends lol. Good luck and be sure to keep us all posted on your progress and keep in mind that the folks on this forum are very knowledgeable and helpful should you ever need advice or support. Good luck.

SpeakerPlayNet

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
USA
www.SpeakerPlay.net
First, congrats on losing 85 pounds! That's something right there.

If you lived closer I'd run over to your house and loan you some ecigs till Tuesday! Both hubby and I smoked for 40+ years. Have quit a few times, always went back. Ecigs was SO EASY and we don't fear ever going back, unlike past quits where you always wondered WHEN even though you swore never. It's a different truth this type of quitting. As you say, the hand-to-mouth is part of it and it's nice not to have to give that up. It's almost been 3 months and I find myself vaping less and less - not through any effort, I just get busy. Other days I vape all day - depends what I'm doing.

Here's hoping your mail comes early in the day Tuesday! And don't be discouraged if you crave cigs those first few days, you're getting your nicotine but there is a lot of other addictive stuff in those tabacco totsie rolls. Just vape through and you'll be fine, the craving shouldn't last.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
If you haven't ordered yet, then I recommend stay away from mall kiosks, spiffy websites that claim to be the best and have "testimonials" etc., and models sold by tobacco shops.

In the sticky threads at the top of New Members read/watch
1. newbie videos
2. the thread with Library in its title leads to a great multi-part illustrated guide

Stay away from super-minis unless you are an ultralights or very light smoker.

The most popular ecigs for starting out are the following (as well as their fat battery models which stay charged much longer and have enough power to use lower resistance parts for bigger hits of you need them)

510 (fat versions Ego and Riva 510)
901 (fat version Riva 901)
KR808D-1 (aka Vapor4Life's Vapor King, fat version CigEasy's Elegant Easy)

The first 2 are 3-piece models with atty+cart, blank cartomizers available (more available for 510), 901 has a softer hit
The last one is a cartomizer unit (2-piece model) and to use carts requires another model's atomizer

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
It's great reading your post and feeling your excitement ! Welcome to ECF ! You've got lots here on ECF to keep you occupied until your kit arrives.

After all, its important to learn the proper technique for stalking the Postman which you'll be doing quite often in the near future. You also have to decide which vendor you'll be ordering your next order of juice from on Wednesday and again on Friday and again the following Monday !! Oh, you may want to give some thought to how you're going to gentlely break it to your husband that there will be quite a few credit card charges in the next few months :) Guess it might be a good idea to also check out the dos and don't of your first day with your new best friend and first PV. See, so much to do and so little time to do it all between now and Tuesday !! :)

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I smoked for over 40 years and NEVER thought I'd be able to quit. The minute I tried my first e-cig, I KNEW this was it. I hadn't even intended to quit...I just wanted to cut back and supplement because cigs were getting so expensive....but I quit. QUIT!!! And it was NOT that hard at all. I was/am amazed! In fact, for months I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop....but it never has. Now it's been almost 7 months, and I'll NEVER be a smoker again. Just wait. It WILL work, it'll be easy, and you won't believe it! Good luck and stick around here....this is THE support group. What did you order? Did you get some good juice, too? Tell us......

tornadosiren

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
Pennsylvania
I got a vaporking kit from vapor4life. I did not see anything negative about them in my searches, and it seemed easy and reliable. Refilling with juice, I think I will wait at least a week or so on til I get the knack of it, and see what works best for me. I thought just using carts for the first week or so would be my best option til I get it all figured out. Not sure if that was the right choice or not, but I figure I will find out as time goes by.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread