Altria introduces Marlboro and Skoal Smokeless Tobacco Sticks, Reynolds expands test markets for Camel Orbs, Strips & Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The "sticks" sound like they would be of interest to those who substitute toothpicks for smoking. Don't laugh. It worked for my husband, even without the nicotine. Maybe with the nicotine, he wouldn't be so forgetful.

I got to try the Camel Sticks, Strips, and Orbs when they were test marketing them here in Portland. Personally, I liked the strips the best because I wasn't too big of a fan of the flavor, but the strips quickly gave a nice rush and satisfied any lingering urge for "something missing" if ever I needed it. I only bought one pack and mostly stick to vaping, but I appreciated having them around and hope as many of these smoke-free alternatives are brought to the full market as possible because everyone's needs and tastes are different.

The sticks are actually rather nice because you can simply break it into smaller pieces and use it just like the orbs or snus (between the cheek and gum) but many people substitute the oral fixation from smoking with a toothpick, so a toothpick that actually satisfies a craving for tobacco is the sort of thing that I suspect could really work for a lot of people. If they don't make the strips available, I would probably buy the sticks from time to time just to keep some on hand for "emergencies".

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Vocalek wrote:

The "sticks" sound like they would be of interest to those who substitute toothpicks for smoking.

Yes, but I can already envision Greg Connolly, Prue Talbot and others writing articles (for publication in peer reviewed scientific journals) claiming that the "sticks" are choking hazards for infants, and should be banned immediately by the FDA (or be required to contain an infant choking hazard warning, that infants cannot read).

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Then, there's this insanity,
Don't make nicotine a prescription drug

If you thought that nothing could be more hazardous to Oregonians' health than plastic grocery bags, just wait until the health police make nicotine a prescription drug.

Think I'm kidding? House Bill 2233 is already in the pipeline in Salem.

Among other good works, it would classify nicotine, an active ingredient in cigarettes, as a Schedule III controlled substance available only by prescription. It would be a crime to possess nicotine, punishable by up to year in prison, a fine of up to $6,250, or both. And it would be a crime to unlawfully distribute nicotine, with the same punishments.

I have never smoked, and personally don't care if anyone in Oregon smokes or not, but reality tells us that lots of adults do legally enjoy tobacco, and lots of retailers earn a living selling them cigarettes. Also, the state enjoys lots of tax revenue from those sales, even though it's torn between getting the cash and encouraging people to quit for their health.

Even if you dislike smoking, don't be too quick to cheer on the nicotine police, lest you unleash a number of unintended consequences.

First, classifying nicotine as a prescription drug likely will result in a nearly total black market for cigarettes. Who will go to their doctor seeking a cigarette prescription? And what physician will actually write such a prescription? Cigarette sales will go underground, just like illegal drugs. Internet sales will skyrocket and risk-taking entrepreneurs will purchase large quantities and smuggle them into Oregon and onto our streets and school grounds.

Second, speaking of school grounds, ask kids today if it's easier to get cigarettes on the street or .......... If we want to keep cigarettes away from minors, pushing them totally underground is not the way to do it. The higher prices will attract drug dealers eager to hook kids onto their newest profit center.

Third, state revenue from tobacco sales will dry up and blow away, making our budget woes even worse. Of course, legislators can slap massive taxes on those nicotine prescriptions; but since none will be written, no revenue will flow across Salem's transom.

Fourth, who exactly will this new police state tactic harm? Research shows us who the smokers among us are:

-Cigarette smoking adults are more likely to be uninsured than non-smoking adults.

-Cigarette smokers are in poorer physical condition than non-smokers.

-Cigarette smokers generally have lower incomes and less formal education than non-smokers.

-Cigarette smokers are more likely to be unemployed or unemployable than non-smokers.

In summary, the nicotine police will be going after the less educated, lower income and sicker Oregonians.
http://www.cascadepolicy.org/pdf/2-23-11SteveNicotinePrePDF.pdf

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
As an example of the views of some anti-tobacco extremists towards me, the following defamatory note was posted on Globalink (a private anti smoking/tobacco website with 5,000 members worldwide) in response to my posting of the Winston-Salem Journal article (that I posted at the beginning of this thread).

"Anti-tobacco extremists" -- A Sad Day

In the last posting of Bill Godshall, he gave several links to articles
about tobacco companies test marketing their newest nicotine delivery
treats -- processed tobacco, nicotine still available, dissolvable in
the mouth, mint and other flavors, clearly marked not for children
(whether they can read or not).

In the first link, from North Carolina, the reporter Richard Craver
followed his tradition of going to Godshall for a "health" quote. This
time, Godshall referred to all of us as "anti-tobacco extremists".

Those of us in the Globalink community who have been around for many
years recall when the tobacco companies themselves called us
"extremists" and "health nazis" and other unkind names. We called
ourselves "health activists". But the Philip Morris magazine and other
items of the day appeared to build up hat e and anger against health
activists.

Now we have a former professed health activist who has become not just a
tobacco industry cheerleader, but has joined them in public attacks on
health activists, using hate and anger in lashing out at all who have
dared to disagree with him in private. This is indeed a sad day.

Past discussions on Globalink have cited data revealing that most
smokeless tobacco users are not using it to quit, but solely as an
addiction fix for those times they cannot smoke or an enhancement to
their usual nicotine fix.

The tobacco industry has never been known as a health advocate, a friend
to those who breathe, a friend to children, a friend to farmers, nor
even a friend to addicts who want to quit. Certainly their arguments in
court seem to always blame the victim, never themselves.

Attacking all of us in the media is definitely not the a ct of a friend.
It sounds too much like the tobacco industry attacks from the old days.

Maybe it is time that Bill Godshall decides where his home and bed
should be, and maybe join the board of directors of Reynolds whom he has
not -- for a very long time -- publicly criticized for building a
company upon the addicted and dead bodies of people of all ages.

Sincerely and with good wishes to all health activists,

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
As an example of the views of some anti-tobacco extremists towards me, the following defamatory note was posted on Globalink (a private anti smoking/tobacco website with 5,000 members worldwide) in response to my posting of the Winston-Salem Journal article (that I posted at the beginning of this thread).

And I say they are just as guilty of those same deaths for their continued stance against the proven safer smokeless tobacco products that are available today.

Bill, when was the last time this person publicly criticized Pfizer or GlaxoSmithKline "for building a company upon the addicted and dead bodies of people of all ages"?

CGProg

Aug 8, 2010
US
"Now we have a former professed health activist who has become not just a
tobacco industry cheerleader, but has joined them in public attacks on
health activists, using hate and anger in lashing out at all who have
dared to disagree with him in private. This is indeed a sad day."
*from Bill's post, sorry, mouse giving me problems...
Are you kidding me?!?!
Bill's like our own resident Mr. Spock of harm reduction, unbelievable.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Special delivery from a friend who visited family in Kansas -- Skoal Sticks. The flavors are Smooth Mint, Mint, Original Tobacco, and Rich Tobacco. My guess is they want to settle on one mint and one tobacco flavor, and they're conducting marketing surveys out in Kansas to determine which is preferred.

They only come in packs of 10 for something like $3.50 each. The packaging, unlike the impossible to open Camel products, is nothing more than paper wrapped in plastic.

I've only tried the Smooth Mint, and I kind of like it. I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to use the product, so I've tried out various methods. It seems to last 15 minutes or so.

Bill will know this -- when they tested the new Camel products, was it the Sticks that were found to deliver the most nicotine? I'm not the best judge of whether something is giving me nicotine, but I certainly feel similar to how I do when I use Swedish snus. It might, however, just be a placebo effect from the menthol-like flavorings.

Attachments

• IMAG0178.jpg
    IMAG0178.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0177.jpg
    IMAG0177.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Bill will know this -- when they tested the new Camel products, was it the Sticks that were found to deliver the most nicotine? I'm not the best judge of whether something is giving me nicotine, but I certainly feel similar to how I do when I use Swedish snus. It might, however, just be a placebo effect from the menthol-like flavorings.

I believe the Camel Sticks and Orbs are roughly equal in strength, but the sticks are physically larger and so contain more nicotine each. The strips have the least amount of nicotine, but that's because they're quite thin and are used up in just 2-3 minutes.

The advantage the Camel sticks have is that you can break one up and use it like and orb if you don't want to hold it like a toothpick. The Skoal sticks, to my understanding are actually wooden sticks that have a dissolvable coating--so I would imagine breaking into smaller pieces doesn't work as well.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
.........The Skoal sticks, to my understanding are actually wooden sticks that have a dissolvable coating--so I would imagine breaking into smaller pieces doesn't work as well.

So now the antis have another anthem, "Children may pick these up and choke, or worse, get addicted and start smoking. We don't want to see the stick litter from you addicts all over our environment".

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
the following defamatory note was posted on Globalink (a private anti smoking/tobacco website with 5,000 members worldwide)

that's really nothing when you think about it, there are over 300 million people in the US, let alone the entire world. 5000 people is barely enough to fill up a small stadium. I wouldn't concern myself with these douche bags whom clearly, nobody is listening too, otherwise they would have more members. tell them to go snort some more of the zanex that big pharma prescribed them and F$^& off!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
that's really nothing when you think about it, there are over 300 million people in the US, let alone the entire world. 5000 people is barely enough to fill up a small stadium. I wouldn't concern myself with these douche bags whom clearly, nobody is listening too, otherwise they would have more members. tell them to go snort some more of the zanex that big pharma prescribed them and F$^& off!

You underestimate the voice of this small stadium crowd. They represent the tip of a very large iceberg and this struggle is indeed a holy war. These crusaders have the voice into the power that controls the entire process. Our only hope is that the voice of reason and common sense, plus the fragments that break off from this army, can somehow prevail.

I personally would like some honest scientists to become involved in the fray, but the money has to come from somewhere for that to happen. JMHO

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
You underestimate the voice of this small stadium crowd. They represent the tip of a very large iceberg and this struggle is indeed a holy war. These crusaders have the voice into the power that controls the entire process. Our only hope is that the voice of reason and common sense, plus the fragments that break off from this army, can somehow prevail.

I personally would like some honest scientists to become involved in the fray, but the money has to come from somewhere for that to happen. JMHO

yeah, if only everybody knew what pompous douche bags these people really were...... we'd have the upper hand no contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread