Altria introduces Marlboro and Skoal Smokeless Tobacco Sticks, Reynolds expands test markets for Camel Orbs, Strips & Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Placebo Effect wrote

Bill will know this -- when they tested the new Camel products, was it the Sticks that were found to deliver the most nicotine?

As I recall, a spokesman from RJ Reynolds presented a slide at the July 21 TPSAC meeting that listed different nicotine levels of Reynolds' Camel Orbs, Strips and Sticks at https://collaboration.fda.gov/p12663464/

But I don't recall which of the products had the highest level of nicotine.

I haven't seen Altria's Skoal Sticks yet, but their Marlboro Sticks contain a wooden toothpick (that appears to have been dipped into a wet pulverized tobacco mixture, and then allowed to dry). At the July 22 TPSAC meeting
https://collaboration.fda.gov/p52343165/ (a spokesman from Altria, during the public comment period, indicated that he didn't know if the FDA considered the Marlboro and Skoal Sticks to be Dissolvable tobacco products because not everything in the product dissolves (e.g. the wooden stick).

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
And regular wooden toothpicks, with no coating, happens to be the tool that my husband still uses to remain a former smoker. He quit by using the patch to wean down and off nicotine and continues to use the toothpicks as the hand-to-mouth substitute. He also uses a lot of sugar-free mint candies.

Unlike me, he seems to be doing OK without the nicotine (except for having [a lot] less patience with bad drivers than he did when he was a smoker). As I see it, my e-cigarette takes the place of the toothpicks and the nicotine keeps me sane.

ByStander1

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
West Virginia
And regular wooden toothpicks, with no coating, happens to be the tool that my husband still uses to remain a former smoker. He quit by using the patch to wean down and off nicotine and continues to use the toothpicks as the hand-to-mouth substitute. He also uses a lot of sugar-free mint candies.

Unlike me, he seems to be doing OK without the nicotine (except for having [a lot] less patience with bad drivers than he did when he was a smoker). As I see it, my e-cigarette takes the place of the toothpicks and the nicotine keeps me sane.

So... DH is insane? LOL!

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Ohh my God. I tried the Rich Tobacco flavor. For about 5 seconds, it tasted like cappuccino and I thought, "Hmmm ... I could get used to this." And then it turned into this overpowering, disgusting taste that was just gross.

yeah I'm gonna get smooth mint if I can get ahold of it, my aunt actually works for Phillip Morris/Altria/whatever its called now but she lives in switzerland, maybe if she comes in town in the next year or 2 I could see if she could hook me up with some sticks. I'd assume you can't get dissolvables in the EU, but it won't hurt to ask if she does come in town soon!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Soon to be seen on toothpick boxes:

Surgeon General's Warning: This product is not a safe alternative to smoking.

According to "public health" (ie. "I get kickbacks from Big Pharma for shilling NRTs") toothpicks cause a choking hazard and the sharp tip could poke an eye out. Health "experts" warn that studies show that some toothpicks contain toxic ingredients which may cause severe allergic reactions, skin irritation, disrupt normal hormones, confusion, inability to walk, unsteadiness, rash, and coma. There are no studies or research to confirm the possibility of side effects during pregnancy or when breast feeding.

Also, toothpicks are available in a tasty mint flavor, which could be enticing to children, who may then graduate to smoking.

Additionally, toothpicks contain wood, which is also found in baseball bats and therefore are a threat to public health because they can be used to hit people over the head and cause brain damage. Also, "wood" is known to cause asphyxiation, severe burns, brain damage, lung damage and death (when burned & inhaled, of course). Burning wood is the single greatest cause of preventable fire deaths in the world! Ban all wood!!

My new nickname for the groups trying to ban safer alternatives is ANTZ (Anti Nicotine & Tobacco Zealots). Single-minded busybodies, too! lol

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I believe there is a serious health hazard here, in that a smoker may inadvertently light the stick and inhale. As we all know, just one breath of this highly toxic tobacco-wood smoke can permanently damage the genes of the recipient, and possibly those of nearby children too. The FDA should ban them. Or alternatively see who offers the largest bribe and decide accordingly.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
OMG you guys, this is so funny! I found something online about tea tree oil toothpicks, so I had to add to my SG warning above.

Check out links about tea tree oil, which is infused into toothpicks that some people use to quit smoking. I'm surprised the ANTZ aren't all over this!!

I suppose that might be good -- providing you don't mind the odor of turpentine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread