Mar 29, 2015
Los Angeles
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

disley

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
Australia
OK it's beginning to look like you're right stylemessiah and others.
The youtube reviews I've watched, and the posts I've read don't gush about the Altus.
That's to be expected with a new device, and first impressions of most vape things don't amaze us.
We need time to mess about with things, to adjust temps and watts, get the wicking right, find the best airflow position etc.
After a few more days or a week, and if there's no improvement then I'll admit it was hype.
There are too many cons, starting with the price, it would have to be better than good to sell for $120. As it stands it's a $20 tank, we won't know about the year long limited guaranteed heat pad, until it's still working in a year, and by the level of enthusiasm I doubt most people will still be using it in a week.
The clouds were underwhelming, so most reviewers said, although I don't chase clouds, so they looked big enough for me.
Bottom fill for that price is out of the question, if the heating pad lasts for a year, they should have put it in the latest designed, easy to fill, leak proof tank, that will still be desirable this time next year.
Hank Vapes did a good youtube video review, and didn't mess up the wicking.
it's a bit long but he covers everything.
He had a similar view as the other first reviewers, poor tank design, not enough clouds produced, the taste wasn't outstanding.

Slips

Nov 7, 2014
Bay Area
Copied from my post yesterday in the RTA section.:

Well got it today, ordered on Sunday from vaperoyalty.
So 3 days to my California address.

Packaging was fine, nothing special, just like seen in the video from the "creator" , extra o-rings, and cotton but no spare glass. Instructions were good, maybe I got to take a second look but I didn't see any info on what wattages it could handle, or temp control settings. The tank was clean, free of oils, funky smells etc...it was pre built, pulled it apart just to see the guts and everything looked ok...keyword being "ok".

So with a hand full of mods, temp control and VW, I primed the build that it came with.
Started in wattage mode, 30w, after 5-7 pulls the "coilless" coil started producing some vapor....some
Bumped it to 50w while it was still warm, and started to get ok size clouds, and the flavor was there.
Still not what I was expecting, and not satisfying.

Went to temp control next, starting in Ni mode at 350f, nothing, nothing until around 420f, and at its best around 450f. But flavor was off, in fairness this could have been the juice though as I havent used that flavor in a long time.

Fiddled a bit in SS mode and Ti mode, but time has not allowed for me to do much yet, the results I got so far though lead me back to using Ni mode or more likely wattage mode at 60+ watts for first few puffs till its warmed up and then go from there. First Im gonna change juices to one that is fresher in my rotation.

Still to soon to say if it will be a tank I use everyday, to soon say much really.
I can say that the ramp up time is a major part of that decision, but if its always gonna take adjusting up, down, modes, etc...then it will be in the drawer rather quick. Its not what I expected from what is shown in the video by the "inventor". And I have a feeling I just gotta throw more power at it, but as of now I paid 109 for it, and at that price I am thinking ........well let me give it some more time, do want to be hasty just because it didnt perform like my tafun gt ii or squapes or even my kanger subtank or lemo2.

Someone mentioned the threading and finish, this I will comment on.
Its not up to 109$ standards, my squapes and taifuns are much better, my aromamizer is better, its on par with a goblin, lemo, billow ...etc maybe a bit better just because the seal on the glass section is damn good, everything else works, smooth-ish, but not what I was expecting.

Maybe Im spoiled and my expectations to high, and if Im wrong I'll be back to admit it, for now there is still a big question mark on this one and thus wont reccomend it till I figure it out or dump it in a drawer.
But I will be back tomorrow or Friday with more experiences.
Good luck to anyone else who is in the same boat as me.

Peace

Last edited:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
After vaping with the Altus for quite a while, my final thoughts are, this atomizer should have been refined in many ways prior to market release.

I wound up sending mine back to the seller for store credit.

Once Guo figures out how to make the Altus, or another version of the Altus, easier to deal with, I'll buy one. Til then, it's back to twisting coils and knowing exactly what I have on the deck of the atomizer.

Good try Guo. Keep it up!

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Yeah, all the ceramic coils were a debacle. Although, Vapeston Ceramikas are quite okay for high wattage vape, but that's it.

I've found Altus tank by Guo interesting because they claim this:

Using a cutting-edge silicon valley material that was developed over two years, this tank has a CVU chip, or center vaping unit, that has been granted over a dozen patents in the United States and lasts for years

I'm not exactly sure what kind of material it is, but is sounds pretty novel. Anyway, we'll have to wait and see if any of their claims are true. But I like it, because if there's a less hassle and better quality to it, it could be the next right step for vaping (other than some crazy fused clapton alien coil builds, etc.).

Also, have anyone noticed from the photos that the cotton is sticking out of the "coil" area? It looks like it's just wrapped in cotton square, which is protruding out to the tank.
You do realize that's just a slab of ceramic right? Same tech has been used for over 30 years in the pet industry they're called heatpads, generally used as under tank heaters for lizard tanks.

Reactions: Woofer

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
There's more info by Eric Rubin from Origin Vape about Altus in this video:

oh wow !!
this is easealy the worst video I came across ever .
it is worst than mine . you can say what ever you want but with all of riptrippers antics I allways at least learned something . when ever he does the altos one I will sure watch that . right of the bat I see to many negatives in that design besides rampup time . marketing ?? unreal !
on videos... nobody watches them without all the hype and 4 letter words . out of three vids I got one reply !!
so iv given up because the next post question ask is one just explained in a video . when I watch vids I look at the contents not the personality . enyoy u tube .

Reactions: AstroTurf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread