Am I allowed to write about my (positive) IQOS experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Dual using is often considered by some scientists as worse than one or the other. I doubt any reduction in cigarettes is less healthy than more cigarettes though and the science as always so far is disputed and early days.

I've read the hell out of everything published about Iqos. I have concluded that it

A. Releases a vapour with 90% less carcinogens than cigarette smoke (the FDA agree) meaning I'm getting as much harm in that sense as 1 cig for every 10 HEETS. On 4 a day that's not a major risk compared to a 20 - 40 a day habit.

B. One of the main killers in smoke is Carbon Monoxide of which I am now getting none.

C. No tobacco tar. I've blown vapour from HEETS through tissues and also examined used filters. It's clean. Some residue is left in the DEVICE and some discoloration to the paper on the HEET but people have said that is due to the heat. There is no combustion or ash or second hand smoke and studies have revealed no particle matter. The tobacco in the HEET is charred slightly, I'm not sure that is the correct word but it is darker and drier but is not burnt.

There are some scare videos on youtube but those are people who do not maintain and clean the device and just let it get filthy as some vapour and also loose charred (or whatever the word is) tobacco will end up in the heating part of the device.

D. It's early days. The major data is from PMI itself who mislead us about safer 'light' and low tar cigs before. So we have to be wary although the FDA again agree to the 90% lesslvels of carcinogens. Then again to do so what they did before in today's world would be stupid. Things are more transparent and they would be in a lot of trouble one would hope. But yes I'd also like to see more independent studies.

The Korean data is flawed. Really poor science there. The data from the anti smoking agencies is poor, they have vested interests. They use words like tar to actually describe what is vapour and would label vape from e-cigs as 'tar' also. When we think of tar we think the crud that is inside the vapour / smoke / IQOS vapour or aerosol as some refer to it - not the smoke / vape / aerosol itself.

So I do not accept it all 100%. All I know is I feel healthier on it and that is good enough for me. I would recommend the switch to smokers but not to vapers as I believe vaping is even safer. I would recommend trying vaping over HNB to smokers looking to quit. I have only recommended one person in real life to try IQOS as she tried vaping and didn't like it and went back to smoking.

If you vape, stay with that. If you dual use maybe try this instead of any cigs. If you smoke and vape will not work and you have tried many types of mods, tanks, liquids, nic levels and exhausted every option, only then would I recommend this.

I hope that clears up my position.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
I do not get that with mine (as of yet). You may have had a faulty device or HEETS?
I've used mine in places nobody smokes even the work canteen when I was the only person in there (it's a non smoking area with smoke detectors) and no smell.

However as of today and about 20 HEETS in the device is only giving me 8-9 puffs instead of 14 and only 2 minutes instead of 4 despite my light use and regular brushing and one cleaning using the self cleaner and then the provided IQOS wet swab stick. That's with the charger holder on full power too.

Will ask for a new one, which from reddit threads, seems that they do without hassle if it's early days. Will ask for the newer 2.4 version which reportedly is a bit better.

Will report on how that goes. If next one follows suit, will be an issue and will have to see if I can accept those limitations. To be fair it just means I'll be inhaling even less which is okay for me 9 puffs and getting the nic hit and taste of tobacco is enough for me really, but wouldn't be good for a quitting heavy smoker.

yakaki

Apr 8, 2018
I do not get that with mine (as of yet). You may have had a faulty device or HEETS?
Will ask for a new one, which from reddit threads, seems that they do without hassle if it's early days. Will ask for the newer 2.4 version which reportedly is a bit better.

Yea, they replace it without any issues
About the smell, it comes after some usage, I think its because of the heating blade and inner chamber getting filled with junk (tar and ....), try to clean the chamber after every 20pack, it gets real nasty in there...

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
They're sending me a new one free postage and all and free return for old one, so that's good anyhow. I like it. IS satisfying enough and no health problems like with smoking and no staining teeth or mouth. Mouth feels much nicer.

Ironically my IQOS works fine now they're sending a replacement. I think perhaps like with the earlier late 2000's vapes - you have to break it in perhaps...

Done a few cleans, a few factory resets and now good. I'll still take the new one though as I reckon I might have damaged the heating blade as I though the stick in the brush egg was for scraping the blade, which i did vigorously. it's not for that. Doh.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
Here are my thoughts. If IQOS is working for you, great as it is a harm reduction product (at least according to PMI information). My only concern is that I believe there is not enough independent experiments to corroborate PMI claims about the reduced risk, but that is just a matter of time.

I bought an IQOS in June to test what it was (in my country I'm trying to advocate for THR and I wanted to have first hand information about HnB). I'm not sure I like it, I've tried it several times and can be somewhat pleasant but it is not nearly as good as vaping.

But I recon it might do the trick for a lot of smokers as it's flavour is really similar to analogs. So that should be good news as more lives will be benefited.

My belief is that a lot of smokers will turn to IQOS as it has been happening in Japan. Because of it's similarities with analogs, the transition will be easier. I also believe (and hope) that IQOS can become a gateway to vaping as it is the next logical step into reducing harm (ecigs are safer than HnB as I understand). An IQOS consumer will be already used to the "electrical / gadget" side of HnB / vaping devices (the electric-device side of vaping can be an obstacle for some smokers that prefer simplicity) so the transition to vaping will be easier.

The reasons I don't think IQOS is for me are:

1) Taste. I do vape tobacco flavoured liquids, but the IQOS taste is stronger. IQOS leaves an aftertaste that is not pleasant.

2) Temperature. To hot for me.

3) Really tight draw. I do MTL but IQOS draw is really tight and produces almost no aerosol (but flavourful indeed).

4) Irritation. I find IQOS aerosol (I will keep the word vapour for ecigs) to be somewhat irritant for my mouth and throat. Have been trying it to see if that was just a beginners feeling but no, ecigs vapour is much much much friendlier (if you understand me).

5) Brand Slavery. I don't want to go back to buy from a single company. I really like the freedom vaping has given me to choose whatever brand of devices / liquid I want.

6) No customization. Vaping has an enormous virtue as it empowers the user. We enjoy the liberty to choose from a universe of vaping devices and e-liquids, we have the freedom to set parameters and fine tune every aspect to suit our personal preferences, we get to choose the nicotine content of our liquids, etc. No HnB product can give us that.

7) Wasted heets. If you turn it on you have to "smoke" the whole heet or you will have to waste it. With vaping you can have a puff and put the device back into your pocket.

8) Environmental aspects. Heets have 3 different filters and after being used they just go to the bin.

Last edited:

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
1) Taste. I do vape tobacco flavoured liquids, but the IQOS taste is stronger.IQOS leaves an aftertaste that is not pleasant.

I like that about it, even the aftertaste. Feels like I had whole tobacco which I just cannot seem to let go of completely.

I do not mind the tight draw or heat either. Beats the 3-4 roll ups a day I was having (cigs started feeling and tasting too like gas to me so switched to roll your own with filters.) But yes more heat than vape for sure.

4) Irritation. I find IQOS aerosol (I will keep the word vapour for ecigs) to be somewhat irritant for my mouth and throat. Have been trying it to see if that was just a beginners feeling but no, ecigs vapour is much much much friendlier (if you understand me).

I did feel chest and throat irritation for the first two days but I also did and many do when they switch to vaping. It went after the second day. Bear in mind I only have 3 to 4 HEETS a day and I do not 'hotbox' them which I think heavy smokers would do as it is lighter than say a Malboro gold or any other medium light cigarette.

5) Brand Slavery. I don't want to go back to buy from a single company. I really like the freedom vaping has given me to choose whatever brand of devices / liquid I want.

I'm not too fussed about this as I just want tobacco taste and feel. I also like simplicity, one company low choice. Find what I like and keep the routine. That's just me though and we all differ.

6) No customization. Vaping has an enormous virtue as it empowers the user. We enjoy the liberty to choose from a universe of vaping devices and e-liquids, we have the freedom to set parameters and fine tune every aspect to suit our personal preferences, we get to choose the nicotine content of our liquids, etc. No HnB product can give us that.

I'm not bothered about that either, I just want my tobacco taste and feel 3 to 4 times a day. I dislike hassle. I know the BT companies are scumbags, but I've been addicted since 13, that's 29 years, so I'll take as much harm reduction as i can get while keeping my addiction which I sadly need.

7) Wasted heets. If you turn it on you have to "smoke" the whole heet or you will have to waste it. With vaping you can have a puff and put the device back into your pocket.

I want the whole HEET but I do not rush it I take it slow. I reckon some new users would hotbox it though. But sure vaping lets you just take what you want as little or much as you need and switch it off. I wish it worked for me, but alas.

8) Environmental aspects. Heets have 3 different filters and after being used they just go to the bin.

Same with cigarette / roll up butts, so it's break even for me.

I will try some DVAP WTA pure from Aroma, one member just recommended it to me. I still have m Coolfire 4, Coolfire 4 Plus and two unused Cleito.4 ohm coils and two clean Cleito tanks. I also have a Nautilus Mini with two regular non sub ohm coils.

All in all they both have upsides and downsides. With vape there's the liquid smell over a lot things, pockets, hands, desk, things like that. With IQOS yes there is no getting away from the fact that after a few days even after cleaning the device and holder smell like charred tobacco. Nothing as bad as an ashtray but still. With Iqos you really do need to clean more than specified by IQOS / PMI - IMO / IME - even after each HEET in my experience there will be a little residue or a tiny bit of loose tobacco in the device around the base of the blade. With vape there is cleaning, refilling, charging etc also.

Both take a lot more maintenance than smoking,but it is worth it for the health benefits. Vaping is cheaper than IQOS and again I wish it worked for me. I WTA does the trick I would do this rather than IQOS, but IQOS is so darned similar to a light smoke (which is all I need as a non heavy smoker) I would be surprised if WTA is better but I will give it a try. The hobby part of vaping so many enjoy was never fun for me, I like simplicity, plug in, play, switch off. Done.

Vaping used to irritate my front teeth, no matter what the PG/VG ratio or nic content or watts / ohms. Also used to irritate my stomach and upper GI tract. Also used to give me ........ with the sub ohm 60-70 VG liquids. Also used to get a dry lung feeling sub ohm or regular.

IQOS smells a bit. But as to health aspects I feel great, no ........ or irritation at all to teeth or mouth and no dry lungs feeling. You do have a feeling of tobacco taste in throat and chest that lingers but I like that as makes me feel my tobacco craving is satisfied.

Also PERFORMANCE. Well my Coolfire 4 Plus and Cleito tanks and coils smash the IQOS in that category. They are marvelous. Like I said I only wish vape alone worked for me. After performance of my first IQOS device I am still semi sceptical about mid term performance. If the new one is consistent for say 5 months I would be happy spending £49 / £10 a month over 5 months for replacing them. It's more expensive than vaping for sure as a pack of 20 is £7 (I found them cheaper actually but won't go into that here as not here to promote, just give my experience) only a £1.50 or so less than a pack of smokes. So vaping is WAY CHEAPER! But for me it's a small price to pay for no CO and reduced carcinogen levels etc and my oral health is so much better now. And as mentioned I have energy again and do not feel old any more. I am very sensitive though so not sure if an ex smoker would have same benefits as quickly as me. Smoking was literally killing me in no small sense of the word even at 3-4 a day. Oddly the Doctor did heart, blood and lung tests and said I was very health for 42 years old and all tsts came up excellent, so he just said 'your body just doesn't like smoke, some people are more sensitive to some things than others.' He showed me some video of other patients hearts doing odd things they should not for minor reasons, he concluded some of us are just outliers. But for me now I'm alive again 5 days with no cigs.

Hassle. IQOS does need to be tended to often. I could charge my CF + pop in a new Cleito .4 ohm coil into a clean tank and I would know I'd get no leaks (goodbye Kanger lol), the battery charge would last me a week (also light vaper, maybe 1-2 ml a day max) and the coils about a month - no joke those coils rock.

IQOS in my experience, needs to be tended to after each HEET. No joke. I just had my first one on the brand new fully charged replacement and there already are a few tiny fragments in the heating capsule. I could leave it but I know that would cause more hassle down the line. IQOS / PMI say clean after each 20 pack but nah I reckon it needs a brush clean and tap out residue after every heat just to be sure, if you have the time like now I'm at my desk at home. If out with friends, I reckon it would be okay to heat 5 or so and then do a good clean with brush and swabs when get home.

Some of it is the nature of the HEETS. I reckon they need to be kept tightly packed so not change shape or get loose or even get too tight and also kept at a good even temperature. I noticed that ones from a freshly opened packs slide down on the blade more easy and 'vape' better.

So yeah A LOT more maintenance and care needed than with something like a good Aspire kit, more akin to the early ego-T say where they leaked, you had to clean the attys often etc, its were inconsistent..... But for me this is the price for not feeling like I was slowly dying / killing myself for an addiction.

So yeah that's the story so far.

TLDR - satisfying (when works as should) but a lot of babying required for maintaining early peak performance. Hopefully later developements will make it less hassle in the years to come as it did after the early days of vaping....

Last edited:

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
UPDATE. To be fair I got my new device within 24 hours with free postage and free postage to return the first one. First HEET in was nice. Did leave more residue than I would have liked around the base of the heating blade but I am quite sure that is due to the packs having been jostled around in my jeans pockets for last few days walking, at work and riding my bicycle.

So like I said above, this device and the HEETS need care taken with them, unlike smoking where you can do pretty much anything tot it and it still works lol.

I'll see how long decent performance lasts with this one. I really want to this to work out for me. If it doesn't I'll try WTA from aroma (will try it anyway just to see) and also try GLO from BAT.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Admission - due to them not making me feel as Cr%p as cigs / roll ups I am having a few more than the intended 3-4 a day today and also last weekend. During weekdays I work so keep it to 3-4 routine I was in. I also used to sometimes smoke 1 or 2 more cigs / roll up at weekends too though. But yeah I can see heavy smokers needing to hit this long and often. I'm lucky in that sense, that I do not need a lot to be satisfied....

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Well 2nd HEET in with new device and not giving me full 14 puffs. I got about 10 satisfying puffs and then done.

It must be my drawing style I guess.

It's acceptable to me though as they were nice draws simply as I don't feel like a slowly dying old man any more and no awful after heart and head rush / strong anxiety feelings like with cigs / roll ups, just a nice tobacco taste and feeling of calm and that I had what I needed. Just have to take it as it is and wait until newer better devices come out and stick with this until then. All reviews for devices that can use HEETS for Heat not Burn uniformly declare IQOS the best to date, so.... And all reddit and youtube posts and video by users not sponsored all have similar issues to mine with the device etc so I won't lie and pretend it's perfect or works as well as PMI would have you belevie in terms of the 14 good puffs / 6 minutes and only clean every 20 HEETS. I do want another HEET right now after having the last one but I will train myself to keep to my 3-4 a day pattern and not chain 'vape' / 'HNB' them... Cheers. Will update after few more days use...

EDIT - 5 minutes after wanting another and now I feel okay and the craving has gone. I still have the nice tobacco taste in my mouth and that is what makes me feel satisfied, probably it takes a bit longer to go into the system than a burning cigarette / roll up hence a few minutes for craving to go away. Will wait until the evening now for my usual 6pm, 9pm and then one before bed which I smoked and now HNB.

But yeah no horrid heart and head rush or anxiety type feeling I used to get from cigs (never got that from vaping either, just the horrid burning tobacco analogues.)

Yeah this is good for me. Technology is getting amazing in life. I never dreamed this possible really, the best of both worlds / having my cake and eat it - ie still heating tobacco and getting the alkaloids and taste I crave but not feeling like death warmed up.

Bit fernickety but I can live with that.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Nope just had another and only 8 good draws, leaving me wanting another but I won't. I have enough control to shrug it off, accept it as it was and get on with life until my evening ones. I had a 'smoke' (is what it felt like) albeit a short one and that's good enough right now. Ah well, will just accept this is how it is and will stick with it until they or someone else comes out with a better performing device. Reviews of all others even the BAT GLO all say IQOS is the best on market at the moment so it's a waiting game and make do in meantime.

Well I'm off the cigs anyway for sure and feel healthier, much healthier

That = WIN

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Another update. So this morning I had a turquoise HEET with coffee and only got low performance, about 7-8 puffs with the last two being a bit poor. I have read online it may not so much be the device but the HEETS being subject to not so great Quality Control.

Just had an idea so I got a Yellow label HEET and used a pin to poke some holes down the filter tube and got a good 12 puffs from it with a nice consistent amount of aerosol. Was satisfying and my health is still great, new lease of life for me.

So yeah that seems like it will do the trick for me, the needle thing.

I'm surprised PMI haven't made the HEETS perform better yet. You'd think they would so people stay with the IQOS longer term. Or maybe poor performance means people will use more HEETS. I don;t think so though I know that hardcore smokers would just get frustrated and not purchase at the end of the trial period.

For me it's good enough, but hardcore heavy smokers would not be satisfied IMHO. This is good for light smokers wanting a less smelly and healthier alternative.

I think they are waiting on the USA letting it be sold there or not before they develop further?

I also read they may be holding back as the amount of tobacco in a HEET is something like 90% less than a cig so although good for them as selling less tobacco for same money, but the whole tobacco farming industry would be massively hit in a bad way, if the HNB really started kicking ...., as that would mean a massive drop in turn over for the farmers and really give the whole market / farming industry a jolt.

Ah well, I have found a little trick that improves performance to a level I'm okay with.

Will keep updating.

Cheers.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
New trick learned from youtube. Don't put the HEET into the device until the blade has heated and the light turns green, then it is hot and creates more airflow. Get a better draw.

No needle poking needed now and is almost cig like:)

It's still switching off before 6 minutes and 14 puffs though, getting an average of 8 - 10 and 3-4 minutes but that is enough for me. Again I don't think it would satisfy a heavy smoker, they would want another one straight after to be satisfied and end up having 2 at a time in succession I reckon. Just my opinion.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Well had three today so far.

Morning one was surprisingly good. Had a Turquoise HEET an got a good ten puffs that were simillar to a light menthol cigarette such as the Sterling Dual I used to smoke.

Second one was about 6pm, a yellow HEET and was not so great but enough. I'd say about 10 puffs with the first being not good, the middle 5 being decent and the rest so so, leaving me wanting another, however my aim is to not chain them so I got on with other things.

Yay me.

Just had another Amber one at 9pm and it was about ten puffs, first two so so, about 6 good ones and then two so so puffs.

A bit hot and a bit sawdusty tasting but still tasted like tobacco and got my Alkaloids.

I noticed a sad thing that I need to move on from. I MISS the harsh tearing in the chest of real smoke, I have worked out that as well as the buzz I miss the stink and the PAIN of it. Sad. But that is the sickness of the cigarette addiction at work on it's various levels / ways and I will move on.

I'm farting a bit more than usual, but still feel so much healthier. Even my guts seem to miss some of the crud in Tobacco smoke. But I know this will pass with time and patience. I got the farts and indigestion (and extra chocolate and coffee cravings) both when I quit and vaped and when I tried to just quit, so it's part of withdrawal and I know that now and know it is good.

So yeah it's cutting it for me just about.

EDIT - just had one at 9.30 because I CAN as they don't make me feel as bad as cigs. About 9 good puffs all even.

Satisfied. That's 4 today and will have one before bed.

Can't complain.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I MISS the harsh tearing in the chest of real smoke, I have worked out that as well as the buzz I miss the stink and the PAIN of it.
o_O

Yet more reinforcement of my "People are different!" refrain.

About three months after I transitioned completely to vaping, I decided to have a cigarette with a friend who I hadn't seen in years, partly as an experiment to see how I'd react to it. I enjoyed the first half of it, but after that, it started tearing up my windpipe... Nope! I did'n't want that back, no way, no how, thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread