Status
Not open for further replies.

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
Cutting the tank was a little more difficult then I thought, probably because it was my first time.
I had to get help cutting it. I don't think I was holding it right.
Got the drowl and used the same tube cutter I posted in the link. I was worried it wasn't going to be straight.
All in all it looks very nice and my Boge carto fit inside :D :D It's 100x better than the carto I was using before. There was a leak somewhere...not sure where but I woke up and juice was all over! :laugh:

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
Can you take a pipette or somethin and suck that juice up?? lol!
I just HATE it when that happens, don't you? lol!
Well, I have a dead Boge carto and I'm goiing to play with punching a hole in it with a sheet metal screw this time. See if that's any easier/better. Wish me luck! I figure I better get in some practice before the new unpunched ones get here.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I use this punch. It works great. Mini Carto punch.jpg punch in action.jpg

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Oh, no! :( I was all excited for you...until that last line. Knock on wood, I've never had any problems with a tanks leaking. Was it vaping well last night?

Cutting the tank was a little more difficult then I thought, probably because it was my first time.
I had to get help cutting it. I don't think I was holding it right.
Got the drowl and used the same tube cutter I posted in the link. I was worried it wasn't going to be straight.
All in all it looks very nice and my Boge carto fit inside :D :D It's 100x better than the carto I was using before. There was a leak somewhere...not sure where but I woke up and juice was all over! :laugh:

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
I tried punching a hole in a new carto using a sheet metal screw this morning. Put it in a tank and it leaks through the carto into my drip well on the Provari, so I guess I made it too big? I'm going to town this afternoon, I'm going to pick up that hub thing and a saddle valve, so I can try both of those. And thank you Mark, I did read that!

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
The most important thing when punching holes in the carto is to be sure you don't go through to the air tube that runs up the center of the tube. This will cause bad leaking. And be careful not to deform the tube out of round.

We all have our favorite way of punching our cartos. I use a jig and punch for cartos from Vapor-Age.com. He's changed the style of the punch tool since I got mine, but, knowing Jason, it works just great!

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
Oh, no! :( I was all excited for you...until that last line. Knock on wood, I've never had any problems with a tanks leaking. Was it vaping well last night?
It was vaping great!! :)
It's actually not leaking anymore so I'm confused but very happy. The only problem I'm having again is trying to get the juice to flow into the carto. :confused:

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
I assume you filled the carto first. I usually use one of the condom ends, fill it about 1/2", and press the connector end of the carto into it to absorb the juice. Do it slowly so the juice doesn't squirt out the top. Then blow out the carto to make sure no juice is in the inner tube.

Then once it's in the tank, I take a few draws without the power on, just until you start sensing flavor. Sometimes, if it's not wicking really well, I'll take a few draws like that to get the juice "motivated". On the other hand, I have run across cartos that just don't wick very well. We call that Chinese quality control.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
I just ordered a tank from Copper creek. The only thing you have to punch is the carto, right, my tank came with both ends open? I use a Riva 510. My hubby has a ton of tools, I'm wondering if he could use a dremel or a drill press? I need to find some tanks on sale...any thoughts?

Sounds complicated to me, although some folks slot their cartos with a dremel. I prefer to punch. Before I got my jig and carto punch, I used a sharp s-c-r-e-w and a hammer. As soon as it breaks through the metal of the carto, it's far enough, or you risk going through the inner air tube.

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
I assume you filled the carto first. I usually use one of the condom ends, fill it about 1/2", and press the connector end of the carto into it to absorb the juice. Do it slowly so the juice doesn't squirt out the top. Then blow out the carto to make sure no juice is in the inner tube.

Then once it's in the tank, I take a few draws without the power on, just until you start sensing flavor. Sometimes, if it's not wicking really well, I'll take a few draws like that to get the juice "motivated". On the other hand, I have run across cartos that just don't wick very well. We call that Chinese quality control.
Filled it first and it was vaping well, probably until the carto started to empty. Even if I take 10+ long pulls I'm still not getting any sort of gurgle. I hope this isn't Chinese quality control!
Do you think it needs another hole? It's a very loose draw so I'm not sure that would even help.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
I put 2 small holes, one on each side. Is it tasting burnt? If it is, it probably isn't wicking properly.

I have had several Boge cartos that will simply refuse to wick. Once I've vaped what's in the carto, it just won't take any more. Solution is to ditch the carto unfortunately. At least, that has been my experience.

One way you can tell if it wicking is to look in the mirror while you are taking a dry pull. You should see air bubbles around the hole. If not, it's not letting juice in.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
I just ordered a tank from Copper creek. The only thing you have to punch is the carto, right, my tank came with both ends open? I use a Riva 510. My hubby has a ton of tools, I'm wondering if he could use a dremel or a drill press? I need to find some tanks on sale...any thoughts?

If you're wanting to take a dive into the tanks, I'd suggest Parkes Vapiing. They have the cheapest tanks around. Either a carto Chibi tank, like what I have, or an Acorn, which uses the CE2's. They are $8-10 a tank. Beware that they are slow when shipping them out, as they are a Mom & Pop organization, but they put out a good product at a good price.

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
The holes should be just about the bottom cap.

If you're not getting a burnt taste, there's hope. What kind of pv and carto are you using?
It's the tank :(
There's some sort of problem with the wiring. I have to send it in to get fixed.
I was using a Boge 2.0ohm carto on a Buzz Pro. Hopefully when it comes back I will be able to use my little tank :)

This thread is great! I'm loving it!

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
What kind of tank is it, I forgot, and I'm too lazy to look back. I've never heard of wiring in a tank. A carto tank is simply 2 endcaps and a tube. If you're using a carto tank, it's all about the carto and the pv. A 2ohm carto is lr, and really designed for egos, kgo's, or some type of 3.7V device. I think you'd be happier with 3.0 cartos around 5-5.5V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread