Am I missing something? (rebuilding an OCC head)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa Survivor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2014
Omaha, NE
Got a subtank a few weeks ago, decided I want to rebuild one of the heads. Made a nice 3mm micro-coil, got the leads where they need to be, but when i give it a few squeezes and a test fire, I can see the legs heating up, which I think is heating up the grommet and giving off that nasty burning rubber smell. Can you not do micro coils in the heads? Does it work best with spaced coils?

Got a subtank a few weeks ago, decided I want to rebuild one of the heads. Made a nice 3mm micro-coil, got the leads where they need to be, but when i give it a few squeezes and a test fire, I can see the legs heating up, which I think is heating up the grommet and giving off that nasty burning rubber smell. Can you not do micro coils in the heads? Does it work best with spaced coils?

I'll try it with micro coil and post back the outcome here if it's worked.....

I've tried and error on this OCC coil ends up dual coil reading 0.45 ohm.

OCC Dual Coil.jpg

maleasdf

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2014

You can build contact coils if you blow torch then before inserting into coil head. Never dry fire then in the coil head, the burnt rubber smell may never go away... How do I know... Done that once and never doing it again...

However spaced wraps are the best in the coil head to get optimal wicking..

teamblue

Nov 17, 2014
yeah never dry fire those occ coils....a small gas torch or even a lighter works, must be used to heat the coil prior to installation

Jayscuzzi

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2014
North Central, Il.
View attachment 409839

My occ rebuild using 24g kanthal
Only have 28 gauge wire right now and paying attention to how much koh gen do cotton I put in when rebuilding but not having any success making mine as good as the stock coil which is really unusual. Will I benefit more with a 24 or 26 gauge wire?

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    I did micro coil using 26gauge, as already posted, I burned the coil before inserting it and did not dry burn once installed, came out at 0.96ohms and wicked with japanese organic cotton, been using that coil for just over a week now, and even with the higher resistance than the pre-made 0.50ohm coil, it has been vaping just as good at 22watts, at the time of the build, did think the resistance was to high and planned to use 24gauge next time, but as been working so good, just going to stick with the 26gauge on future builds.

Jayscuzzi

ECF Veteran
    Sep 20, 2014
    North Central, Il.
    I did micro coil using 26gauge, as already posted, I burned the coil before inserting it and did not dry burn once installed, came out at 0.96ohms and wicked with japanese organic cotton, been using that coil for just over a week now, and even with the higher resistance than the pre-made 0.50ohm coil, it has been vaping just as good at 22watts, at the time of the build, did think the resistance was to high and planned to use 24gauge next time, but as been working so good, just going to stick with the 26gauge on future builds.
    How many wraps?

Jayscuzzi

ECF Veteran
    Sep 20, 2014
    North Central, Il.
    Just ordered 24 and 26 gauge kanthal to experiment with. 28 gauge just isn't doing it for me. Getting ohms way to high. Good vape but I really want to try to get closer to stock quality.
    My protanks and aerotanks are so much better rebuilt but I must say the occ coils from kanger are the best stock I've ever tried. Kudos to kanger on this product.
    Next on list buy a mini to play with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread