am I still in the stone age ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I have a cheap mech and can't get the button apart to clean, plus the battery is probably weakened by over-discharge. I had to turn my new istick down to 3.4 VOLTS to match the vape I was getting off the thing. Not impressed with mech reliability at all, when high power switching can be done electronically much better.

The istick has allowed me to put 20 watts into .6 ohms and 2.5 ohms. Pull out those whack old coils from the early days that wouldn't even heat up on a mech and fire away ...

Reactions: D. Waterhouse

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
    Aug 27, 2013
    Joure
    Once you get good at tuning your set up. There really is nothing more you need from a mod but power to the atty.
    But the power isn't consistent as the battery load drops fast. With my SX Mini, rDNA30 and ProVari 2.5, the power delivery is the same from the moment I put in a fully charged battery to the moment it hits 3.2 volts. With my regulated mods I get a full work day of use out of my batteries, try that with a mech mod.

Reactions: SteamHead

niczgreat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 5, 2009
    Chino California
    I felt kind of like you too. I'm a bottom feeder using a Mech Reo and just switched to a VW Bottom Feeder, but was curious about the changes in technology. So I bought the Cloupor 80Watt TC [Uses 2 18650 Batteries] and a Uwell Crown Tank with TC Coil [Very Highly Rated]. I'm just so curious if technology has moved forward to the point where a Tank can match dripping. Guess I'll know in 4 days.
    Well came back to update the thread.
    My Cloupor GT 80 and Uwell Crown Tank are an awesome combination.
    Cloupor is running around $48.00 at Angel Cigs or $56.00 at Royal Vapes. I wanted a silver so I ponied up the extra.
    BTW the Cloupor has one of the smallest form factors of any dual box. Combined with TC and it's darned good unit.
    Thick voluminous clouds, better and as tasty as my Bottom feeding RDA set up.

Bought the 3000mah[Purportedly] batteries and am changing them every 24 hours with plenty of life to spare.
    Based on my just acquired experience. As you suspected you are in the Stone Age. The new generation of Sub Ohm Tanks have caught up to dripping in terms of flavor
    and the Dual Battery Box Mods are providing consistent vape temperatures at around 60 watts for more than 24 hours. Tanks are thirsty though so be prepared to Diy or
    find a quality low priced liquid. I've gone from around 5ml a day to 12-15ml per day. Wow!

Reactions: PyroTekRob

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 30, 2014
    New York City
    Since I started dripping a year ago I've been a "mech guy". I run a .2 ohm dual macro and I 'm starting to get tired of swapping out batteries every 20-30 minutes and having to carry a crap ton of batteries with me. If I put a rda with the same .2ohm build on say an IPV3 set it to 90 watts (on a mech it comes to like 88) would it be the same kinda vape ? Would it be more consistant....longer ? Or is there no reason to build @.2 with a vv-vw ?

I feel like I'm starting all over..........ANY HELP would be appreciated.
    i used to mech... got tired of predicting when to change batteries (i usually predict it right), a few accidents had me banging at the regulated mods door

i used to drip too... but the annoyance of wicking every few hits, especially during driving got quite annoying... then came out the tfv4

so now im using an ipv4s with tfv4 that gives me some safety + RDA like vapor/flavor

whats not to like?

Reactions: SteamHead

Old Curmudgeon

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 30, 2012
    Kansas City, fly over country
    I think about 85% of the people here have Never held one of those in their hands.

Or know what the term "Tailpipe-ing" means.

;)
    Lol I still have a pack of three stored away in a box with my Provari 2.5. A must have for sampling flavors just a few years ago.

Reactions: zoiDman

TKS

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 28, 2015
    Stone age = deciding between a 901 or a 510 ecig, deciding whether to use aquarium filter material or pillow stuffing, and which one of 3 places to buy your liquid from, and praying it doesn't get stuck in customs and leave you high and dry.

I think some folks sill use aquarium filter to this day lol

Reactions: seminolewind

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 4, 2012
    Michigan
    I think about 85% of the people here have Never held one of those in their hands.

Or know what the term "Tailpipe-ing" means.

;)

Or if you were a carto guy like myself, whipping those .......s around in a weighted medicine bottle on a string to get the filler saturated properly. Or the carto bottom-fill condom method lol.
    1.8 was a low-resistance carto and I remember buying them with a disclaimer that LR coils could damage your battery and shorten its life.
    As for devices, I started with the usual stick batts and progressed to spinners but that didn't last long. I have used pretty much nothing but mechanicals for the last 3 years and just recently while shopping for new batteries I saw the RX200 on sale for $39. After a little reading I decided to get one so I could play around with the new gadgetry, and I'm looking forward to it even though my Reos will always be my go-to devices.
    Long gone are the days of 20 watts for over $100. I was truly blown away. With technology at such a low price, I don't see any reason NOT to play on the other side of the fence for awhile. I don't see mechs vs. regulated as an "all or nothing" decision I have to make.

Reactions: zoiDman

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    am I still in the stone age ?

Unfortunately, I think you are. :)

Regulated box mods are all the rage now. Just try selling a mech mod in the classified forum and you'll quickly find that there is no demand.

I have recently picked up a few regulated boxes, along with some sub-ohm tanks, and I have to admit that I am extremely happy with the performance, coming from several mechs and drippers. I still use a few of my mechs for dripping, but they are slowly being replaced...

well, except for my Reos, which are still fantastic for travelling, driving, etc.

Kracker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 21, 2014
    NewCastle, DE
    Yeah I was joking with the guy that sold me the ipv3 about the ipv4 coming out on my way home and he said they will have it in like 2 weeks, lol. I think he said only 100 watts but I'm sure it will be the greatest thing EVER !!

And yeah vaping this thing with the same rda as I've been using on my mechs (all are copper or brass) hits what feels the same at 68 watts & 3.7 volts as the mechs do with a fresh battery.......but man it feels wierd in the hand !!!

I might start looking into some rta's now ?

WattWick

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    There is a lot of room to play around with on mechs. You may find that a different wire gauge at the same resistance gives a wildly different vape. You may also find that what you are looking for is available at much higher, less wasteful resistances.

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water, as we say. Experiment with what you got.

Kracker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 21, 2014
    NewCastle, DE
    There is a lot of room to play around with on mechs. You may find that a different wire gauge at the same resistance gives a wildly different vape. You may also find that what you are looking for is available at much higher, less wasteful resistances.

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water, as we say. Experiment with what you got.

I found what I really enjoy as far as the build. It's the need to change the battery every 20 minutes I don't like. I could always build higher, just wouldn't like it as much. I will ALWAYS have a mech close by ready to go. I know when I put in a battery and my build is true she will will fire, no computer to mess anything up.

amtseung

Sep 22, 2014
    California
    Tube mech mods, I feel are dying out, as the 100W+ box mods are far superior in power delivery and reliability. I was happy on a copper 4nine and FUhattan, and then I tried my cloudchasing build, which at the time was dual parallels 5-wrap 24ga, on a Sigelei 100Wplus box, and never turned back to the mods. I still polish them every once in a while, but they're basically shiny display pieces along with all the boxes from my PC build.

Mechanical box mods, on the other hand, are probably going to remain a niche forever, one I am finding very difficult to join (trying to build a 3x18650 parallel box mod with a 4th batter powering a solenoid to fire the entire contraption).

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
    Apr 9, 2014
    Upper East TN
    I do both.
    Prefer mechs. They just work.
    After spending money on several VV/VW devices and having them all crap out on me except the Provari, I am out.
    My very first mech still works as well as the day it came out of the box.

An 18650 works 9 hours easy when topped with a genisis wrapped at one ohm, and blows a big enough cloud for the kewl kids at the shop to ask me what I am vaping.
    If it gets run over or dropped, I can pick it up and keep vaping, as I run metal tanks as well.

I think that half the attraction to reg boxes is that you can throw any old coil on there with any old wad of cotton and turn it up untill it chucks a cloud. Easy peasy for the plug n play crowd.

Its harder to get a mech to work well at 100 watts

Redacted

Last edited:

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 13, 2014
    Canada
    I got my first mech yesterday. My wife gave me two more of hers today. I really like them a lot. I wont put down my boxes but I can see the need and want for both. One of the things I really like is the size. My stingray x without the hybrid even topped with a tugboat v2 isnt even 5 inches long. I get more then 20 minutes out of a battery at .2 ohms. If I chain vape I would say its more like an hour and I like to not let my batts get to low. Mechs are sweet, regulated boxes are sweet to. I am digging the mech thing right now a lot though. There soo small and damn does copper with a copper atty look sick.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread