am I still in the stone age ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kracker

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
NewCastle, DE
Since I started dripping a year ago I've been a "mech guy". I run a .2 ohm dual macro and I 'm starting to get tired of swapping out batteries every 20-30 minutes and having to carry a crap ton of batteries with me. If I put a rda with the same .2ohm build on say an IPV3 set it to 90 watts (on a mech it comes to like 88) would it be the same kinda vape ? Would it be more consistant....longer ? Or is there no reason to build @.2 with a vv-vw ?

I feel like I'm starting all over..........ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Reactions: Plumes.91

oldmanatc

Jul 24, 2010
Virginia
No you're not in the stone age unless you're dripping on one of these
510-atty2_0.jpg

The original dripping atty

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
254259-f79994878e6d1e558f779eb93e22c03c.jpg

I think about 85% of the people here have Never held one of those in their hands.

Or know what the term "Tailpipe-ing" means.

;)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Or if you were a carto guy like myself, whipping those .......s around in a weighted medicine bottle on a string to get the filler saturated properly. Or the carto bottom-fill condom method lol.

Yeah... People came up with all Kinds of Crazy ways to Fill Cartos. Here is my Favorite.

spinner-jpg.6745

Kracker

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
NewCastle, DE
Thanks for the replies you guys !!

I guess I'll head on down to the b&m and grab that ipv3. I'd like to get the Sigelli 150 watt but I want it NOW !!
I figure that me being 5 miles away I might be able to just make it home before the ipv3 PLUS PLUS or the ipv4 hits the shelf, lol

THANKS AGAIN...

latexyankee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
View attachment 407851

Ahhh, the memories...remember getting 2 horrible puffs (in retrospect) and thinking how awesome it was? And putting 10 drips in my kr808 cartos, just to hear the 510 crowd tell me battery life was overrated, you just need 2 PCC's.

Man those WERE the days

Funny 90% of this community now has no idea...no idea at all.

flippant

Dec 14, 2014
An Island
Don't be intimidated brother, just take the plunge. You already have the skillset to build a good coil, so all that's really left is the purchase itself.

Then, should ya desire, you get the flexibility of experimenting and seeing how the flavor and battery life is affected by vaping at seventysomething watts with, say, a two ohm single coil. Or whatever. And then you can do wild stuff like buy atomizers built for single coils. It's a brave new world!

Now a variable device will use more power than a mechanical in running its screen, and such, but you'll get a lot more useable life outta your batteries since you can maintain a vape to your standard through the battery's whole lifespan. So that'll be a definite upgrade.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I don't mean to imply anything is bad or full of hassles. But since I quit using reg mods I can't remember the last time I had to sit down and figure out what's wrong with a mod.
I know mechs aren't for everyone, and I'm like Phil. If it takes effort I'm gonna skip it. I still use silica for that exact reason, maybe I don't feel like changing my wick today.

I know I give the power vapors a hard time and I really don't mean to, its my nature to always see the other side of the argument and I just get tired of hearing " well that's the only way it will work" or you have to crank it to xxx watts to even get a good Vape.

I have a pile of drippers, and I see all these posts about a new one so I get the bug and buy it. Set it up, realize its just another power rda end up going back to my senio or elm cause they don't require a power set up to taste freaking awesome. My senio is a single coil at .8 and so far I haven't found any of these power models that taste as good let alone better at normal watts,
so disappointed in the magma the way everyone talks I expected to be floored, cept it runs like crap with a normal single coil. I'm gonna keep playing with it as I'm sure I just need to figure out what works for my style.

I'm just annoyed at normal vapors being pushed aside for all this subohm crap

I just try to show people you can enjoy just vaping doing nothing more then pressing a simple button
All this crazyness and cloud chasing isn't a requirement. Its a preference

Last edited:

Steelgirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
The debate goes on. Both mech and vw have their pros and cons. I have 3 mechs. 2 are REO, 1 SMPL. I have to remove and replace battery every 4 or so hours ( my work day is appx 13 hr) So I take a fresh bat in mod, plus 2 more every day. No problem, just charge them when I get home. But when I take my vw (or two) to work, I can just plug in. I don't have to pull out and replace bat. And the vw mod lets me know its time to charge via easy to see screen. My mechs, I feel compelled to get my pocket DDM out to check bat... but that's just me. Neither of these pros/cons were discussed yet in this thread. So, I'm just throwing this out there. Heck, we have so many options... It's mind blowing when you think about it. Mech with RTA, mech with cleromizer, mech with dripper // VW with
RTA, VW with dripper, VW with cleromizer. We are sooooooooo lucky to have so many choices !!!!!!! It's how I've stayed off the stinkies for so long !

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
But the power isn't consistent as the battery load drops fast. With my SX Mini, rDNA30 and ProVari 2.5, the power delivery is the same from the moment I put in a fully charged battery to the moment it hits 3.2 volts. With my regulated mods I get a full work day of use out of my batteries, try that with a mech mod.
Lol, easy, with my setup I can regularly get down to 3.3-3.4. And im usually stuck doing something and it takes me a few puffs to realize the battery is dying.

I understand everyones point, but for me I dont need every puff to be identical. I didnt worry how the cigarette puff and flavor changed as it burned down for 32 years, a little bit of fall off in vapor production after several hours isnt going to make my brain collapse lol. I cant say the same for anyone else the way others act about it.

Im not stuck on- omg the cloud got smaller, no way will I ever be satisfied now!

Everyones different, as long as im vaping, i could care less about the perfect wattage setting.

Oh, and when your stuck somewhere and your battery indicator is flashing empty on a box thinking dang, remember on a mech it just takes longer to heat up but at least I can still keep vaping.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Makes me feel old even tho those things aren't even that old in human years. Sad thing is that's not even an original dripping atty, that atty has already been de-bridged, the orginal dripping atomizers you had to de-bridge yourself.

We've come a long way.

Oh-ya, and then we stuck those bridges in our drip tips so that the atty wouldn't spit at us. :lol:
    Only reason that I switched to RDAs was because they stopped making my favorite 510 atty.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    Portland
    I'd wager that if you put that same build on a regulated device set to 90 watts you'd be getting considerably more power than your mech is giving you. Running the numbers may give you ~88W with a .2 build, but not only is that on a freshly charged battery that drops very quickly, but it doesn't take voltage drop under load into account, so you're probably getting closer to 70 watts or so on average.

You should definitely see an increase is vape time when switching to a regulated device, as well as more consistent power over the charge of the battery. If you don't mind the form factor of a box mod I think you'll be much happier with something regulated.

As far as the build you'll be fine just staying with what works, your options open up a bit as to the types of builds you can do since you no longer have to worry about reaching your desired power level by hitting a certain resistance, but you won't need to change anything if you don't want to.

I'm stubborn and it took me awhile to give up my mechs, the memory of weak regulated devices of vaping past was hard to forget, but after my first modern regulated device I've purchased several more while my mechs sit in a drawer collecting dust and occasionally get used as a build stand ;)

Last edited:
    Reactions: defdock

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    I do both.
    Prefer mechs. They just work.
    After spending money on several VV/VW devices and having them all crap out on me except the Provari, I am out.
    My very first mech still works as well as the day it came out of the box.

An 18650 works 9 hours easy when topped with a genisis wrapped at one ohm, and blows a big enough cloud for the kewl kids at the shop to ask me what I am vaping.
    If it gets run over or dropped, I can pick it up and keep vaping, as I run metal tanks as well.

I think that half the attraction to reg boxes is that you can throw any old coil on there with any old wad of cotton and turn it up untill it chucks a cloud. Easy peasy for the plug n play crowd.

Its harder to get a mech to work well at 100 watts

Redacted

Man, I was starting to believe that in the couple weeks I been back here that I was the only person to still feel this way lol

Reactions: thetrucker

workman70

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I got a Subtank and an istick 50w last Friday and I haven't touched my mech/dripper since. For the first time ever, all of my 18650 batteries are charged at the same time. This wasn't my plan, I also got new batteries in the mail and a ton of Kanthal.

Absolutely agree...best vape I've found to date.

Reactions: Super Flex

jrs99

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 5, 2013
    King George, VA
    Die hard mech user here.
    I decided to try a Vaporflask DNA40 and it's nice. I can tune the power up and down, I can vape for 2 days on the dual 650's and it's actually comfortable to hold.
    Then it fell off my lap onto the office floor and bent the top plate up... oh yeah and the battery meter is jacked up so that when I put fresh batteries in it goes pretty much straight to "weak battery"
    It's now sitting down in Atlanta waiting to be repaired.
    I'm still afraid to use a Spheroid on a regulated because occasionally it sweats a little juice out of the 510 post air holes. Not sure how I'm supposed to pry the 510 connection out of a regulated mod so I can give it a good cleaning.

My mechanicals? Hell I've tossed them down on gravel, dropped them all over the place, vaped while pouring rain, etc...
    Never had a single problem.

Regulated's are nice toys or gadgets but for a rock solid dependable tool, you can't beat a mechanical.

Both types have their place but I don't see mechs fading for the people who know what they're doing with them.

Reactions: JohnnyDill
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread