am I still in the stone age ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kracker

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
NewCastle, DE
Since I started dripping a year ago I've been a "mech guy". I run a .2 ohm dual macro and I 'm starting to get tired of swapping out batteries every 20-30 minutes and having to carry a crap ton of batteries with me. If I put a rda with the same .2ohm build on say an IPV3 set it to 90 watts (on a mech it comes to like 88) would it be the same kinda vape ? Would it be more consistant....longer ? Or is there no reason to build @.2 with a vv-vw ?

I feel like I'm starting all over..........ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Reactions: Plumes.91

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I'd wager that if you put that same build on a regulated device set to 90 watts you'd be getting considerably more power than your mech is giving you. Running the numbers may give you ~88W with a .2 build, but not only is that on a freshly charged battery that drops very quickly, but it doesn't take voltage drop under load into account, so you're probably getting closer to 70 watts or so on average.

You should definitely see an increase is vape time when switching to a regulated device, as well as more consistent power over the charge of the battery. If you don't mind the form factor of a box mod I think you'll be much happier with something regulated.

As far as the build you'll be fine just staying with what works, your options open up a bit as to the types of builds you can do since you no longer have to worry about reaching your desired power level by hitting a certain resistance, but you won't need to change anything if you don't want to.

I'm stubborn and it took me awhile to give up my mechs, the memory of weak regulated devices of vaping past was hard to forget, but after my first modern regulated device I've purchased several more while my mechs sit in a drawer collecting dust and occasionally get used as a build stand ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: defdock

flippant

Dec 14, 2014
An Island
Don't be intimidated brother, just take the plunge. You already have the skillset to build a good coil, so all that's really left is the purchase itself.

Then, should ya desire, you get the flexibility of experimenting and seeing how the flavor and battery life is affected by vaping at seventysomething watts with, say, a two ohm single coil. Or whatever. And then you can do wild stuff like buy atomizers built for single coils. It's a brave new world!

Now a variable device will use more power than a mechanical in running its screen, and such, but you'll get a lot more useable life outta your batteries since you can maintain a vape to your standard through the battery's whole lifespan. So that'll be a definite upgrade.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
am I still in the stone age ?

Unfortunately, I think you are. :)

Regulated box mods are all the rage now. Just try selling a mech mod in the classified forum and you'll quickly find that there is no demand.

I have recently picked up a few regulated boxes, along with some sub-ohm tanks, and I have to admit that I am extremely happy with the performance, coming from several mechs and drippers. I still use a few of my mechs for dripping, but they are slowly being replaced...

well, except for my Reos, which are still fantastic for travelling, driving, etc.

Kracker

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
NewCastle, DE
Thanks for the replies you guys !!

I guess I'll head on down to the b&m and grab that ipv3. I'd like to get the Sigelli 150 watt but I want it NOW !!
I figure that me being 5 miles away I might be able to just make it home before the ipv3 PLUS PLUS or the ipv4 hits the shelf, lol

THANKS AGAIN...

Kracker

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
NewCastle, DE
Yeah I was joking with the guy that sold me the ipv3 about the ipv4 coming out on my way home and he said they will have it in like 2 weeks, lol. I think he said only 100 watts but I'm sure it will be the greatest thing EVER !!

And yeah vaping this thing with the same rda as I've been using on my mechs (all are copper or brass) hits what feels the same at 68 watts & 3.7 volts as the mechs do with a fresh battery.......but man it feels wierd in the hand !!!

I might start looking into some rta's now ?

oldmanatc

Jul 24, 2010
Virginia
No you're not in the stone age unless you're dripping on one of these
510-atty2_0.jpg

The original dripping atty

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
There is a lot of room to play around with on mechs. You may find that a different wire gauge at the same resistance gives a wildly different vape. You may also find that what you are looking for is available at much higher, less wasteful resistances.

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water, as we say. Experiment with what you got.

Kracker

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
NewCastle, DE
There is a lot of room to play around with on mechs. You may find that a different wire gauge at the same resistance gives a wildly different vape. You may also find that what you are looking for is available at much higher, less wasteful resistances.

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water, as we say. Experiment with what you got.

I found what I really enjoy as far as the build. It's the need to change the battery every 20 minutes I don't like. I could always build higher, just wouldn't like it as much. I will ALWAYS have a mech close by ready to go. I know when I put in a battery and my build is true she will will fire, no computer to mess anything up.

amtseung

Sep 22, 2014
California
Tube mech mods, I feel are dying out, as the 100W+ box mods are far superior in power delivery and reliability. I was happy on a copper 4nine and FUhattan, and then I tried my cloudchasing build, which at the time was dual parallels 5-wrap 24ga, on a Sigelei 100Wplus box, and never turned back to the mods. I still polish them every once in a while, but they're basically shiny display pieces along with all the boxes from my PC build.

Mechanical box mods, on the other hand, are probably going to remain a niche forever, one I am finding very difficult to join (trying to build a 3x18650 parallel box mod with a 4th batter powering a solenoid to fire the entire contraption).

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
I do both.
Prefer mechs. They just work.
After spending money on several VV/VW devices and having them all crap out on me except the Provari, I am out.
My very first mech still works as well as the day it came out of the box.

An 18650 works 9 hours easy when topped with a genisis wrapped at one ohm, and blows a big enough cloud for the kewl kids at the shop to ask me what I am vaping.
If it gets run over or dropped, I can pick it up and keep vaping, as I run metal tanks as well.

I think that half the attraction to reg boxes is that you can throw any old coil on there with any old wad of cotton and turn it up untill it chucks a cloud. Easy peasy for the plug n play crowd.

Its harder to get a mech to work well at 100 watts

Redacted

Last edited:

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
I got my first mech yesterday. My wife gave me two more of hers today. I really like them a lot. I wont put down my boxes but I can see the need and want for both. One of the things I really like is the size. My stingray x without the hybrid even topped with a tugboat v2 isnt even 5 inches long. I get more then 20 minutes out of a battery at .2 ohms. If I chain vape I would say its more like an hour and I like to not let my batts get to low. Mechs are sweet, regulated boxes are sweet to. I am digging the mech thing right now a lot though. There soo small and damn does copper with a copper atty look sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread