Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I do both.
Prefer mechs. They just work.
After spending money on several VV/VW devices and having them all crap out on me except the Provari, I am out.
My very first mech still works as well as the day it came out of the box.

An 18650 works 9 hours easy when topped with a genisis wrapped at one ohm, and blows a big enough cloud for the kewl kids at the shop to ask me what I am vaping.
If it gets run over or dropped, I can pick it up and keep vaping, as I run metal tanks as well.

I think that half the attraction to reg boxes is that you can throw any old coil on there with any old wad of cotton and turn it up untill it chucks a cloud. Easy peasy for the plug n play crowd.

Its harder to get a mech to work well at 100 watts

Redacted

Man, I was starting to believe that in the couple weeks I been back here that I was the only person to still feel this way lol

Reactions: thetrucker

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I've never had a mech mod, but you guys are convincing me to throw one in the work bag as a tried and true backup device. It's like the revolver of mods, Gun goes boom every time!

It really is man, with a decent atty And a properly tuned setup it's No muss, no fuss, nothing to break, pop in a battery and go till the attys dry mine have been going to construction sites from one end of florida to the other. Hits the ground, nothing to check, dont have to see if the screen broke button works etc., brush it off and keep going till the battery dies.

Once you get good at tuning your set up. There really is nothing more you need from a mod but power to the atty. No up, down, check my resistance, what was that setting I used yesterday, maybe this tank is better bla bla bla

Find a killer mod and a kick a** rebuildable and suddenly you care a lot less about the atty or tank of the week.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
It really is man, with a decent atty And a properly tuned setup it's No muss, no fuss, nothing to break, pop in a battery and go till the attys dry mine have been going to construction sites from one end of florida to the other. Hits the ground, nothing to check, dont have to see if the screen broke button works etc., brush it off and keep going till the battery dies.

Once you get good at tuning your set up. There really is nothing more you need from a mod but power to the atty. No up, down, check my resistance, what was that setting I used yesterday, maybe this tank is better bla bla bla

Find a killer mod and a kick a** rebuildable and suddenly you care a lot less about the atty or tank of the week.

Its not all that bad Thrasher I use a DYI DNA 40 hamond box for work I soldered the leads right to the battery and just have to plug it in at night to charge, Its been dropped lots its scuffed up I put a quarter tube of JB weld to hold the board in place. The Smok VCT is only 20$ mine is bent from a + 10' drop but still vaping. Keep an eye out for chep coils and 3$ a week is all it costs. Set it at 26W and forget it

but I do have a Mech in the glove box for a back up.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I don't mean to imply anything is bad or full of hassles. But since I quit using reg mods I can't remember the last time I had to sit down and figure out what's wrong with a mod.
I know mechs aren't for everyone, and I'm like Phil. If it takes effort I'm gonna skip it. I still use silica for that exact reason, maybe I don't feel like changing my wick today.

I know I give the power vapors a hard time and I really don't mean to, its my nature to always see the other side of the argument and I just get tired of hearing " well that's the only way it will work" or you have to crank it to xxx watts to even get a good Vape.

I have a pile of drippers, and I see all these posts about a new one so I get the bug and buy it. Set it up, realize its just another power rda end up going back to my senio or elm cause they don't require a power set up to taste freaking awesome. My senio is a single coil at .8 and so far I haven't found any of these power models that taste as good let alone better at normal watts,
so disappointed in the magma the way everyone talks I expected to be floored, cept it runs like crap with a normal single coil. I'm gonna keep playing with it as I'm sure I just need to figure out what works for my style.

I'm just annoyed at normal vapors being pushed aside for all this subohm crap

I just try to show people you can enjoy just vaping doing nothing more then pressing a simple button
All this crazyness and cloud chasing isn't a requirement. Its a preference

Last edited:

MasteroftheVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Columbia, IL, USA
Mech vs regulated has turned into standard vs metric measurements for those of us in the states.

Sure metric is a better system, it makes more sense, is easier, and directly applies to all facets of measurement without any difficult conversions.... but standard is what we're used to.

Take the plunge when your ready and want to.

workman70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Knoxville, TN
I got a Subtank and an istick 50w last Friday and I haven't touched my mech/dripper since. For the first time ever, all of my 18650 batteries are charged at the same time. This wasn't my plan, I also got new batteries in the mail and a ton of Kanthal.

Absolutely agree...best vape I've found to date.

Reactions: Super Flex

jrs99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
King George, VA
Die hard mech user here.
I decided to try a Vaporflask DNA40 and it's nice. I can tune the power up and down, I can vape for 2 days on the dual 650's and it's actually comfortable to hold.
Then it fell off my lap onto the office floor and bent the top plate up... oh yeah and the battery meter is jacked up so that when I put fresh batteries in it goes pretty much straight to "weak battery"
It's now sitting down in Atlanta waiting to be repaired.
I'm still afraid to use a Spheroid on a regulated because occasionally it sweats a little juice out of the 510 post air holes. Not sure how I'm supposed to pry the 510 connection out of a regulated mod so I can give it a good cleaning.

My mechanicals? Hell I've tossed them down on gravel, dropped them all over the place, vaped while pouring rain, etc...
Never had a single problem.

Regulated's are nice toys or gadgets but for a rock solid dependable tool, you can't beat a mechanical.

Both types have their place but I don't see mechs fading for the people who know what they're doing with them.

Reactions: JohnnyDill

jrs99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
King George, VA
... and one of my X Ti's just tumbled about 2.5 feet off my desk onto concrete slab floor :cry:
Still looking for the new "character mark" but on the other hand she still vapes like a beast and hasn't missed a beat :D
The only other regulated device I've had that would have survived that fall is my old trusty Provari.

foolswithsometools

Apr 19, 2015
Mech vs regulated has turned into standard vs metric measurements for those of us in the states.

Sure metric is a better system, it makes more sense, is easier, and directly applies to all facets of measurement without any difficult conversions.... but standard is what we're used to.

Take the plunge when your ready and want to.

Its more like comparing a metric tape measure to a solid wooden yardstick, yeah you get the fancy retractable measuring and locking metering of a tape measure, but itll still bend up or rust and eventually become useless.
Where the wooden yardstick has some hassle with its use and isnt as precise, but itll keep slapping chalkboards in the pouring rain until decades after its "obselete"

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I have a cheap mech and can't get the button apart to clean, plus the battery is probably weakened by over-discharge. I had to turn my new iStick down to 3.4 VOLTS to match the vape I was getting off the thing. Not impressed with mech reliability at all, when high power switching can be done electronically much better.

The iStick has allowed me to put 20 watts into .6 ohms and 2.5 ohms. Pull out those whack old coils from the early days that wouldn't even heat up on a mech and fire away ...

Reactions: D. Waterhouse

Steelgirl

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    The debate goes on. Both mech and vw have their pros and cons. I have 3 mechs. 2 are REO, 1 SMPL. I have to remove and replace battery every 4 or so hours ( my work day is appx 13 hr) So I take a fresh bat in mod, plus 2 more every day. No problem, just charge them when I get home. But when I take my vw (or two) to work, I can just plug in. I don't have to pull out and replace bat. And the vw mod lets me know its time to charge via easy to see screen. My mechs, I feel compelled to get my pocket DDM out to check bat... but that's just me. Neither of these pros/cons were discussed yet in this thread. So, I'm just throwing this out there. Heck, we have so many options... It's mind blowing when you think about it. Mech with RTA, mech with cleromizer, mech with dripper // VW with
    RTA, VW with dripper, VW with cleromizer. We are sooooooooo lucky to have so many choices !!!!!!! It's how I've stayed off the stinkies for so long !

Bigolac

Verified Member
    Jun 20, 2015

I like this idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the fanciness with gadgets and buttons and such, but something has to be said for stupid simple, which is what I am for 90% of the time....

- Adam

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    A co-worker only uses a mech with a dripper. While I marvel at the simplicity of it I'm rather lazy and coupled with a short attention span. What might taste good or work for me this morning may not be what I want this evening.

While in years past (I'm guessing) the "off the shelf" gear was dismal and to be able to get a decent vaping experience users were almost forced into DIY, these days we have VV/VW/TC mods, tanks, prebuilt off the shelf coils and juice. You can DIY as little or as much as you'd like or have interest in.

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
    Aug 27, 2013
    Joure
    Once you get good at tuning your set up. There really is nothing more you need from a mod but power to the atty.
    But the power isn't consistent as the battery load drops fast. With my SX Mini, rDNA30 and ProVari 2.5, the power delivery is the same from the moment I put in a fully charged battery to the moment it hits 3.2 volts. With my regulated mods I get a full work day of use out of my batteries, try that with a mech mod.

Reactions: SteamHead

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    But the power isn't consistent as the battery load drops fast. With my SX Mini, rDNA30 and ProVari 2.5, the power delivery is the same from the moment I put in a fully charged battery to the moment it hits 3.2 volts. With my regulated mods I get a full work day of use out of my batteries, try that with a mech mod.
    Lol, easy, with my setup I can regularly get down to 3.3-3.4. And im usually stuck doing something and it takes me a few puffs to realize the battery is dying.

I understand everyones point, but for me I dont need every puff to be identical. I didnt worry how the cigarette puff and flavor changed as it burned down for 32 years, a little bit of fall off in vapor production after several hours isnt going to make my brain collapse lol. I cant say the same for anyone else the way others act about it.

Im not stuck on- omg the cloud got smaller, no way will I ever be satisfied now!

Everyones different, as long as im vaping, i could care less about the perfect wattage setting.

Oh, and when your stuck somewhere and your battery indicator is flashing empty on a box thinking dang, remember on a mech it just takes longer to heat up but at least I can still keep vaping.

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
    May 25, 2013
    county of orange, ca
    so, i used a mech with russian almost exclusively for the past year or so, mech with dripper the year before. i'm a simple vaper, and i like what works and stick to it. recently picked up an sx mini, though, because it seems to me we've come so far with vv/vw that there's no reason to use a mech anymore. i mean, we can get the same (or more) power as a mech now, with the added benefits of consistency through battery life, and, most importantly in my mind, safety.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2015
    North Charleston, SC
    No you're not in the stone age unless you're dripping on one of these
    View attachment 407851

The original dripping atty
    I still take those with me when I go to B&M stores... great way to try juice. I always have 10 or so at the ready in a box in my vape drawer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread