Am I unusual ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all . I was a smoker 20 years ago . I stopped . It was tough but after a long time I lost the craving totally but I always missed the feeling of relaxation etc .
Recently I started seeing Vape shops appearing and noticing people using e cigs . Somehow it fascinated me . As time went on , I became really curious . I called in a local shop but amazingly , he said if you gave up the normal cigs , don't start using these ...... .. Not much of a salesman ? That put me off for a while but the interest came back so one day I bought a look alike cig .Well , not much vapor or taste but I did quite like it . After that ran out I bought an Evo starter kit and some cool mint juice . I wanted a hit as well as taste so I went for 11mg Nicotine . It did not take me long to really get into it . Now I LOVE it . vaping is the best thing ever and so much better than normal cigs . I vape probably about 10 times a day . Some sessions are quite long . I love the lack of smell in the house and the fact that I can vape as long as I like . A normal cig is over in a few minutes . The E cig is always there . No messing about with matches and stinking of smoke all the time . I get a great deal of pleasure from it and look forward to every session .
Some have said I should have gone for zero Nicotine but I enjoy the sensation so why not . I am not trying to give anything up . At last I have found a way of getting the pleasure I missed for so long without most of the drawbacks .
I now have a Vision spinner and a few extra vaporisers plus some Vanilla juice . My only regret is that I did not try Ecigs before .
If anyone out there is in the same position as I was and wondering if they would enjoy it ............ Go on , give it a try . It could be one of your best decisions !!
:) I for one would NEVER go back to the stinkies .
Vape on .
Thomas .

Just my opinion, but I do think the fella at the vape store was doing you a favor.

After 20 years, there's no physiological addiction to nicotine or the 100s of other chemicals in a cigarette.

I firmly believe that vaping is significantly healthier than cigarettes. Before I got started, I read everything I could get my hands on with regards to vaporizing PG/VG and nicotine.

I'm working towards an 8Mg liquid. I started at 18mg. The goal being a 0-2mg vape.

If I were you, try cutting it back to 6mg. You can get a better "throat hit" by experimenting with different liquids and PG/VG ratios.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
It's a personal decision.

In the past I had quit cigarettes on a couple of occasions for relatively long periods of time (the longest was about 15 months) and always wound up eventually going back to them. If this does help you stay off them for good, that's a plus. Cigarette addiction is a dangerous animal; I think a great many people never get completely over it no matter how long they have quit.

Did you quit 20 years ago? (not sure from your post).

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
Yeah, over all I don't suggest non-smokers start vaping nicotine... unless it's because they are about to start smoking anyhow.

If you enjoy it though, and it's legal, and you are healthy... it's your choice. I guess it's always your choice, even if the preceding aren't true ;)

But yes, to answer your question, you are unusual. (it's not a bad thing) Of the many many many people polled/surveyed, so very few vape without having been a smoker when they started. I ran into a 'kid' the other day at the vape shop who seemed to only vape 0nic... I'm not sure if he worked his way there or what, but then again... he was a cloud chaser so it could have been similar to others I know who were also using hookahs for the clouds... but I don't personally know any hookah people that are using 0nic.

Long post short, doesn't matter if there are very few people who pick up vaping instead of smoking... there always has to be a gradient... majority, minority etc. Which is what I am basing usual and unusual off of.

Bernard Marx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
attic
Interesting. Vaping is an activity like any other, and it is relaxing and relatively harm-free and inexpensive compared to many things ... so why not? We like caffeine, sugar, alcohol. I don't think nicotine is any more harmful. I personally wouldn't really see the point without the nic but I don't understand decaffeinated coffee either.

Last edited:

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
Interesting. Vaping is an activity like any other, and it is relaxing and relatively harm-free and inexpensive compared to many things ... so why not? We like caffeine, sugar, alcohol. I don't think nicotine is any more harmful. I personally wouldn't really see the point without the nic but I don't understand decaffeinated coffee either.

Well...

I don't want to give the GEB (reduce each letter by one) any reason to say vaping is a 'gateway experience'

I agree with you 100% on the caffeine free coffee! If they could make it taste the same, and I mean THE SAME, ok... but they always fail at that. I have powder caffeine, so I can add as much as I want, when I want... Hmmmm.... kinda like adding nicotine!

Last edited:

John Lever

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well, I quit cigs 18 years ago. I bought a no name kit to entice my gf to quit the smokes; then I started vaping. An unintended side effect was that I've essentially quit my daily cigar habit. Better or not, I can't say, but I've enjoyed my new hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've stepped down over time from 24mg juice to 5.5mg juice (mixed 11mg and 0mg in equal parts to get there). I've thought about dropping to zero nic, but a little nic is supposed to be good for the mental processes. At no time did I feel cravings as I stepped down. There were short periods where I vaped heavier for a few days when I dropped several mg lower, but a few days into the new strength I reached a point where I could take it or leave it.

Vaping is definitely a good tool for getting off cigarettes without a hassle. Getting off vaping would just be letting go of the hand to mouth habit. To me, inhaling and exhaling vapor is relaxing.

glointhedark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Antelope, CA, USA
My daughter and I quit smoking around 8 years ago, but the desire never really went away. About 2 years ago, the desire to start smoking again was really strong. My daughter had heard about ecigs, so she started doing some research. We hemmed and hawed for a few months, then tried a couple of disposables to see if we thought the ecigs would take care of the desire to smoke. The ecigs worked, and we are still successfully smoke free.

Whatever keeps you away from smoking is a win! I quit for a year but the desire to smoke was strong and present, I bought an ecig and some 6mg nicotine juice and it takes care of all my cravings. Smoking is now a thing of the past thanks to vaping, I really enjoy to fun of trying new flavors and devices while helping other smokers turn into vapors. Enjoy and vape on my friend

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
Well, I quit cigs 18 years ago. I bought a no name kit to entice my gf to quit the smokes; then I started vaping. An unintended side effect was that I've essentially quit my daily cigar habit. Better or not, I can't say, but I've enjoyed my new hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man, I support you! Again, though, it becomes even more important now, that you DO NOT start to smoke...
I mean, The nicotine addiction is back... and i know someone who quit smoking 15+ years ago, and then started smoking again.

I would recommend going down to 0 nic, just so the physical addiction is no longer there. It becomes more of a hobby that way I think.

But as for me, I dont think I would ever wanna quit smoking. Tons of people are happy I quit smoking, but now they are beginning to ask when I will quit Vaping. Uhm... How about never. Why would I quit something that doesnt in any way suck, and tastes amazing.

Hi all ,
Thanks for all the replies . Yes , I stopped smoking many years ago after 30 years of using the nasty things . So you can see , I am not using ecigs as a way of stopping . It is a new hobby I guess and I have no intention of giving it up . I took to it within days ! I use 12 mg Nicotine because I see no real point in using 0 Nic . I enjoy the feeling a little Nicotine gives me . That is what I missed from my smoking days as well as the whole routine . Vaping is amazing . I can enjoy a nice coffee and a relax with my Ecig for a long as I want without smelling the whole place out and worrying in case I am killing myself . I am 74 years young so very long term risks of Vaping (if any) don't trouble me too much . I am experimenting with different liquids . The first one I bought was Ice mint and I must admit that is my favorite . It's the only one I can vape for long periods . Just the right throat hit and quite a subtle taste . I am temped to try Vanilla . Anyone got any thoughts on that .
I have just ordered a few vaps so I can have different flavors easy to hand . When I first started , it all seemed a bit of a minefield with the different terminology but I am getting used to it all now and loving it .
I have not yet had the confidence to use it in a cafe . I am afraid of adverse comments . I wonder what others feel about that ....... Any problems ?
Well thanks to all here who help a new boy so much .
Cheers to you all and happy times .
Thomas

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The cigarette addiction is about 1% physical addiction... and 99% psychological addiction. If you were still unhappy about quitting 20 yrs after quitting, then you still have the psychological addiction, and guess what, that is the part that e-cigs handle best.

Don't listen to those who want to rain on your parade, even about the nicotine -- nicotine is really not all that addictive, but it does have some profound mental-acuity benefits. So enjoy it!

Vape on! :vapor:
Andria

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When I began vaping over two and a half years ago, I was against non-smokers vaping. However, my daughter, a nonsmoker, changed my mind.

For her 18th birthday, she requested a mod setup similar to mine, to vape no-nicotine flavors recreationally. All of her friends were smokers, and when young adults are just hanging out together they sit around smoking. She was feeling the peer pressure to start smoking, too. Remembering that this is the way I started smoking at that age, I began to reconsider my beliefs.

She would soon be an adult, and free to smoke or vape as she pleased. If I had a choice, would I encourage her to vape if it could possibly keep her from picking up the habit of smoking tobacco?

So I did get her a mod setup for her birthday, and some fruit flavored no-nicotine e-liquid. She only used her setup recreationally as planned with her friends. Over the next few months, several of her group became interested in vaping instead of smoking. Her brother, boyfriend, and a few other close friends purchased their own eGo Spinner setups and made an attempt to quit smoking. They may or may not have tried to quit smoking with e-cigs on their own at some point, but I personally believe my daughter's introducing them to vaping planted the seed in their minds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread