American Lung Association lies about risks/benefits of different tobacco products (including e-cigs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

malyden

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
OH

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
My daughter is a nurse she told me that most hospitals use a metered mist sanitizer which use PG or glycols to prevent bacteria etc. here are some links to these types of sanitizers:

Thanks for that confirmation.

When i read the EPA permission for the Pg air sanitizers i wondered how the Max allowable PG concentrations,which btw is 0.04%, are adhered to . Went through Ozium MSDS and saw the PG concentration is less than 10% in the product (with butane aerosol) and got the idea.

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
There is NO medical application that i know of which allows inhalation of Higher concentration of PG.There is this nebulizer treatment which is meant for treating emergency asthmatic patients which contains about 20% Pg and was not meant for regular use.

I think there are many posts here that emphasize the fact that there are no scientific studies regarding effects of Inhaling HIGH PG concentrations.I can understand the vendors preparing Blurbs that somehow convey the false impression contrary to this fact.

No. You are wrong.

Both PG and VG (glycerin in general) are approved for innumerable uses in cosmetics, foods, and drugs. As for FDA approval for use in pharmaceutical products, both are approved for the following applications, in concentrations ranging from 1% all the way to 98.09%:

Buccal
Aurricular
Transdermal Patch
Topical (Aerosol, Cream, Emulsion, Gel, Lotion, Ointment and Film)
IM and IV injection
Opthalmic
Oral (Solution, Suspension, and Tablet)
Dental (Paste and Solution)
Inhalation
Nasal
Rectal
Subcutaneous
Vaginal

You can see this yourself, by searching the FDA's inactive ingredients database, created for this purpose:

"The Inactive Ingredients Database provides information on inactive ingredients present in FDA-approved drug products. This information can be used by industry as an aid in developing drug products. For new drug development purposes, once an inactive ingredient has appeared in an approved drug product for a particular route of administration, the inactive ingredient is not considered new and may require a less extensive review the next time it is included in a new drug product. For example, if a particular inactive ingredient has been approved in a certain dosage form at a certain potency, a sponsor could consider it safe for use in a similar manner for a similar type of product."
Inactive Ingredient Search for Approved Drug Products: Frequently Asked Questions

To do this search, go here: Inactive Ingredients in FDA Approved Drugs

Then all you do is put either "propylene glycol" or "glycerin" in the search box on the above-linked to page, and you will see the very long list of approved administrations enjoyed by both substances, and the range of concentrations.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
There is NO medical application that i know of which allows inhalation of Higher concentration of PG.There is this nebulizer treatment which is meant for treating emergency asthmatic patients which contains about 20% Pg and was not meant for regular use.

Higher than what?

In any event the "inhalation" application is approved at 25% concentration in the inactive ingredients database I referred you to. (It's the "nasal spray" that is approved at 20%).

Unfortunately, the database does not name the products in which those concentrations of PG are found in, only listing the ingredient in question, the route of administration, and the concentration approved to date.

By the way, I discovered PG and glycerin are both found in the active ingredients database also (but for primarily topical, oral, and opthalmic applications). This database does give actual product names; too bad the inactive ingredient data base doesn't. National Drug Code Query-Active Ingredient

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
Higher than what?

More than 10% .The mods and Manual devices probably feed PG at around 30% in Inhaled air.

In any event the "inhalation" application is approved at 25% concentration in the inactive ingredients database I referred you to. (It's the "nasal spray" that is approved at 20%).

That is not the same as content in inhaled air.

Most of the Nasal spray fluid stays put in the Nose since there is no appreciable evaporation involved.

The major issue here is Effect of PG (and VG and what not) on lung tissue.

There was never any human experience in inhaling higher quantities of substances(Be it PG or VG).

One cannot Vape water(Nobody should try this) cause the steam scotches sensitive throat tissues.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
More than 10% .The Mods and Manual devices probably feed PG at around 30% in Inhaled air.

That is not the same as content in inhaled air.

Most of the Nasal spray fluid stays put in the Nose since there is no appreciable evaporation involved.

The major issue here is Effect of PG (and VG and what not) on lung tissue.

There was never any human experience in inhaling higher quantities of substances(Be it PG or VG).

One cannot Vape water(Nobody should try this) cause the steam scotches sensitive throat tissues.
There is now. :) I have been vaping for two years and I have noticed a great improvement in my health.

It's really quite simple, if you don't think that vaping is safe, then don't vape. For various reasons, most of us do not want to give up the act of "smoking" or the use of nicotine. and we believe that vaping is much safer than smoking, not only for us but for those around us.

As long as we are not directly harming others, then as free people, we should be allowed to live our lives as we choose, otherwise, we are not free people.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This is a very interesting discussion, thanks for bringing it forward.

I look forward to finding out what responses people might have to the issues you raise.
Or if there is another thread where this is discussed, feel free to point me there.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread