AMTRAK Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Am thinking of visiting Son/Grand Children...but can't find ANY "vaping Info" on AMTRAK site...

Pittsburgh, PA. => Union Station (Wash D.C.) => Newport News, VA....

Are there any equipment/battery/ejuice policies for Carry-On or Checked Baggage???

How about vaping on the trains...or during 4 hour layover at Union Station???

Thanx for any info...

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I used to ride AMTRAK when they had SMOKING cars (maybe that was England, can't recall) and in England, you could buy booze in the smoking car.

IDK. But, I mean, it's Amtrak. I don't think (based on my fervent love of trains and trains disaster movies) that a battery is gonna explode, it's not like they CHECK your luggage so much DO they? I guess things may have changed.

My impression of trains is most people find them so low rent, they don't do exhaustive baggage searches. That may have changed. IDK.

It's Amtrak. Vape. The worst that will happen is they will tell you to knock it off, and like, they won't be pleasant but they won't throw you off the train. If like, you want you could use the restroom, or the tiny walkway between carriages to vape. That might be an EXCITING vape..

Have I mentioned how I love trains? I love them. I used to go Philly-Baltimore all the time from college until I got a car. I don't remember extreme discomfort, at least at first.

I DO remember jumping out (later in my train time) at stations so I could smoke, maybe the smoking care went away. I was always more concerned about finishing my cigarette before the train left than stealth.

With that said, things may have changed. But, it's AMTRAK. If I were still a smoker om a train, I might try to stealth SMOKE.

Just approach it with wild abandon. Report back! I am fairly sure ti won't be from jail.

Good luck have fun RIDING the RAILS, the form of transportation that y may have WON if some government/president type had not decided that the military needed the best roads to drive their TANKS everywhere.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not sure about trains and vaping, but my guess is you won't be able to vape while riding the train, just like smoking.

Same with Greyhound buses. My daughter told me that the bus driver literally threw a smoker off a bus in the middle of nowhere when she rode a bus from Cincinnati to Cleveland while in college. Of course the smoker complained and said he couldn't leave him stranded on the highway; the driver said yes he could because he broke the law and he was going to phone the police to arrest him because he had a time schedule to keep.

Last edited:

CaveFurby

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Here ya go, latest Amtrak smoking/vaping policy. If you had a sleeping compartment you might be able to get away with stealth, as long as you exhale barely anything. Don't know if those have smoke detectors, if so, vapor will trigger some smoke detectors. Amtrak Smoking Policy
Another thing to consider is the nicotine inhaler.....looks just like a regular inhaler....couple snorts, you're good. QuickNIC - Nicotine Inhaler

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How about vaping on the trains
Almost certainly forbidden, treated same as smoking. If it were me, I'd get some nic gum, lozenges, or snus (which is what I do when I have to fly).

...or during 4 hour layover at Union Station???
Go outside.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Back in the Old Days, I rode the Rails on the City of New Orleans AMTRAK to New Orleans on more than one occasion .. They had a dedicated Smoking Area back then, and it was like sitting in a Giant Ashtray .. but, over the hours, as I would visit the Smoking Area, you met and talked to the same Folks, got to know their stories .. it was like a Brief Club Membership during the trip ..

I loved it .. those were the days .. :) .. and, yeah, you could buy a Beer and get a Snack .. or, bring your own .. in a cooler .. who knew .. ?? .. o_O

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I mean, it's Amtrak.
It's Amtrak.
Better than Greyhound!

Same with Greyhound buses. My daughter told me that the bus driver literally threw a smoker off a bus in the middle of nowhere when she rode a bus when she was in college going from Cincinnati to Cleveland.
Really? I took Greyhound once on a round-trip between Philly and Cleveland. People were smoking all sorts of things on that bus, both ways. But I suppose times things have changed since then (1977).

FWIW, I swore off Greyhound after that trip. I concluded I'd rather hitch-hike or ride a bicycle 400 miles! The next time I did that trip, (1982) I had a motorcycle. The weather was fantastic and I had a wonderful time.

I would hate to be ejected in South Philly for example.
South Philly is not so bad. It's North Philly you need to worry about! :)

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Philth-edalphia, no matter north, south east or west. (Or so I'm told). City of brotherly love is apparently a thing of the past.

A trick to stealth vape with a pod is exhale through the nose. Much less vape-escape and aroma with it. A trick I learned in my days of smoking.... well you decide.

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2019
I haven't taken a train in maybe 15 years but last time I traveled with Amtrak it was a long trip from Boston to Charlotte and they actually had a smoking lounge and a bar on one of the cabins.

Unfortunately on that trip one of the passengers got extremely intoxicated and decided to light a trash can on fire and fight with the staff. So we ended up stalled in DC for like 90 minutes while they arrested the disorderly lady.

So if smoking and drinking is banned on trains at this point, I totally understand.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
WARNING! Unrelated sidebar. Move past if you've half a brain.

>

Not counting daily commutes to Manhattan for too many years, the last Amtrak I took was The Montrealer, from Stamford to Montreal, overnight in a sleeper car. If I could do that over again, I'd slit my wrists instead.

In other words, I'm not qualified to answer, and have no real purpose here other than to summons @gnees so he can defend his fair city.

We tried to get Santa Claus (to defend Philly) but he told us to go do something that is physically impossible (to the best of my knowledge).

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Philth-edalphia, no matter north, south east or west. (Or so I'm told). City of brotherly love is apparently a thing of the past.
I've spent most of the past 50-some years in and around Philly. Some parts have gotten better, others worse.

gnees

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Zephyrhills Fl.
:pop:
Philadelphia%20Skyline_2018.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: gerrymi

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
You know it brought on a curse, right?
Curse of Billy Penn - Wikipedia

Nope. Willard Rouse. Comcast broke the curse his building cast upon the city!

My frequent trips to Philly, late mid 80's through early 90's, were constant reminders. The building I visited (for work) was Liberty Center (Rosenbluth Travel, back when that was a thing). Many meetings there, and only few passed without a mention of the history.

Loved going there, but it could simply be because I do love a good pretzel. :cool:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I used to use the Acela between NY and Washington or Boston. There was a period they banned Galaxy Note 7s when they were bursting into flames. I have zero idea how that was ever enforced. Can't remember if there was a smoke detector in the bathrooms, but a stealth mtl created no alarms or attempts to be dumped by the side of the rail.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Am thinking of visiting Son/Grand Children...but can't find ANY "Vaping Info" on AMTRAK site...

Pittsburgh, PA. => Union Station (Wash D.C.) => Newport News, VA....

Are there any equipment/battery/ejuice policies for Carry-On or Checked Baggage???

How about vaping on the trains...or during 4 hour layover at Union Station???

Thanx for any info...

So, what's your call, Ger (now that we've given you plenty of time to think about it)? Sneak vaping (Justfog Mini!), or gum/lozenges?

:pop:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread