Analogs, depression and quitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friend of Atlas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
CT
I'm interested to know if anyone that used to smoke thinks that cigarettes contributed to depression, either personally or someone that you know.

On the topic of quitting. It been 3 weeks since I've had an analog. While the temptation has been there in spades, what keeps me from lighting up is the thought of having to reset the clock. Right now I can say I have NOT had a cigarette in 3 weeks. If I light one, I have to reset that clock, and for me 3 weeks is the longest I've gone without a cigarette in 22 years.

What's so great about the PV is that there is open pack of cigs sitting on my table with a lighter right next to them and I don't want one! I keep them there as a challenge to myself (and admittedly as a security blanket), but definitely more as a challenge!!! I dare myself NOT to have one...

Lisa B

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Central City, Colorado
I have had an open pack in my purse for over 2 months, I feel the same way, I don't want to be told I can't have one but rather that I don't NEED one. I actually forgot to take my extra battery with me today and had to go an hour drive back home with no battery. Didn't even think of having one of those cigs out of my purse.

GrimReaper

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Indianapolis
i think im a little different as in im just to damn lazy to walk my ... outside to have a cig id rather vape lol and when i NEED a cig i just vape and vape for liek 10 mins then im like ehhhh like i ate thanksgiving dinner...but think about it even if you did have A cig....your still not doing a pack a day or 2 even right? its 1......not everyone can just stop...hell i tell you what after 3 weeks if you can light that cig and take more then 3 drawls before your like OMFG WTH IS THIS!!!!????!!!! id be amazed..i quit as soon as i got my e cig the most i had to do was buy a 5v passthough...which is amazinggggg

grantemsley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Ontario
Cigarettes actually have antidepressants in them so quitting smoking can actually cause depression. I have at various times in my life been treated for depression, and in that respect I do feel slightly worse after quitting smoking. But not so much that I need to turn to prescription drugs to treat it this time. I've heard theories that depressed people are more likely to smoke because of the antidepressant effect. So the theory is that smoking doesn't cause depression, but rather depression leads to smoking.

As for quitting, it's been 44 days for me. And I've been through several stressful situations both at home and work that would have had me back out smoking every other time I tried to quit. I actually tried one puff off a friend's cigarette about a week in. It was awful. Every time I think I feel like a cigarette, I just remember that and it goes away instantly. If all my PV stuff suddenly broke, I'd be trying to find a new one or build my own...not driving down to the store for cigarettes.

Before I found e-cigs, I had basically resigned myself to never being able to quit. NRTs took the edge off, but the craving for a cigarette was overwhelming. I literally couldn't think of anything but the craving. Everyone told me it would go away or not be as bad after the first day or two. The lied. The longest I ever made it was a week, and the cravings were just as strong. But now I can hardly stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I tried everything else out there, and this is the only thing that made cigarettes look bad.

Friend of Atlas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
CT
Cigarettes actually have antidepressants in them so quitting smoking can actually cause depression. I have at various times in my life been treated for depression, and in that respect I do feel slightly worse after quitting smoking. But not so much that I need to turn to prescription drugs to treat it this time. I've heard theories that depressed people are more likely to smoke because of the antidepressant effect. So the theory is that smoking doesn't cause depression, but rather depression leads to smoking.

As for quitting, it's been 44 days for me. And I've been through several stressful situations both at home and work that would have had me back out smoking every other time I tried to quit. I actually tried one puff off a friend's cigarette about a week in. It was awful. Every time I think I feel like a cigarette, I just remember that and it goes away instantly. If all my PV stuff suddenly broke, I'd be trying to find a new one or build my own...not driving down to the store for cigarettes.

Before I found e-cigs, I had basically resigned myself to never being able to quit. NRTs took the edge off, but the craving for a cigarette was overwhelming. I literally couldn't think of anything but the craving. Everyone told me it would go away or not be as bad after the first day or two. The lied. The longest I ever made it was a week, and the cravings were just as strong. But now I can hardly stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I tried everything else out there, and this is the only thing that made cigarettes look bad.

You know, I never knew ciggies contained anti-depressants. That explains alot for me...

I, also like you, found that NRT's were pretty much useless. I think, for me, that I must need the whole hand to mouth and general cigarette action. I find it decreases my anxiety. When I'm not vaping I tend to pick at my cuticles or fidget my hands alot.

I'm interested to know if anyone that used to smoke thinks that cigarettes contributed to depression, either personally or someone that you know.

On the topic of quitting. It been 3 weeks since I've had an analog. While the temptation has been there in spades, what keeps me from lighting up is the thought of having to reset the clock. Right now I can say I have NOT had a cigarette in 3 weeks. If I light one, I have to reset that clock, and for me 3 weeks is the longest I've gone without a cigarette in 22 years.

What's so great about the PV is that there is open pack of cigs sitting on my table with a lighter right next to them and I don't want one! I keep them there as a challenge to myself (and admittedly as a security blanket), but definitely more as a challenge!!! I dare myself NOT to have one...

Friend of Atlas, I could have written this same post. I've quit analogs for three weeks, and my mood is great! My co-worker and my secretary commented on it. They (and I) thought I'd be really pissy when I quit, but it's been just the opposite. I was off analogs and all nicotines for 16 days when I started vaping. I have an unopened pack of analogs on my desk, but I would rather vape. I just hope the politicians and medical community will understand that PVs are a good thing that have helped thousands quit analogs and not ban them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread