And along comes the I-Chybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edible_Funk

Oct 12, 2012
Quincy IL
Alright, got it in the mail today. First impression, well, the thing looks nice. We all know what it is a clone of, and I'd say it looks like a slightly more mass produced version. Second impression, it's a tad longer than I expected, but still pretty compact. Front pocket shouldn't be a problem. The tank sleeve is cute, gives it a somewhat more finished look, but it looks just fine without it too. Double O-rings to keep the top cap on, and it fits snug, no wobble with or without the sleeve. Then I tried taking it apart. As far as I can tell the tank is NOT plastic, and holds about exactly 3 mils, not 4. I have no idea what metal this thing is made of, but it sure isn't stainless steel. It's very very light. Didn't want to do a scratch test, because, well, it's brand new and all purty when it's together. It's kind of a pain to set up because there is a bit of a lip to catch excess juice, so the deck is slightly recessed. Negative screw was a pain to get a wire under. Threads on the switch are a little rough, but not at all bad. Switch feels a bit chincy, and it's gotten stuck pressed in on me twice. Don't know if or how the switch comes apart. But you can feel it kinda catching on something when it's about to stick, so if that happens just wiggle it around some and it's back to smooth. Long throw, and the spring may be a bit much for my pinky. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, considering it's my first hybrid and my first bottom button mechanical. Honestly, besides the mystery metal I really don't have any complaints about it. Granted it should be selling for like 25 bucks instead of 40, but all in all it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting and serves my needs just fine.

Last edited:

Edible_Funk

Oct 12, 2012
Quincy IL
It came with the 18350 tube. No battery rattle in the tube. Also, fixed the switch. It's held together by a c-clamp washer on the battery contact end, pulled it off and found two separate springs stacked together to create the resistance on the switch. They were binding together causing my issues. Pulled out the little one, and now the resistance is lighter, and it doesn't catch at all. Much better. It's a tad more rattly, but that doesn't bother me a bit since it's much more comfortable with the long throw. Seriously, all in all I really like the thing. Only issue at all would be the mystery metal and that it oughta be cheaper, considering the mystery metal. Hits pretty fantastic around .7 ohms. I'm happy.

dmazyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
TX
I got mine as well yesterday. I agree with pretty much everything edible says above except I don't care for the long throw. Mine only had one spring in the switch so I clipped some off to make it not so hard to push.

The issue I have with the throw is my finger has to go so far the prongs around the button scrapes the finger. I do have large hands so might not be an issue for most.

I'm going to see if I can find a way to shorten the throw some how.

The tube seems longer maybe a kick or possible a larger battery can fit.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I researched the "I-Atty" (The newest zenesis clone, not the original zenesis clone that got horrible reviews. Please BE CAREFUL. Fasttech IS selling the new version of their zenesis clone, but other websites are still selling the original, which got nothing but BAD reviews. So for right now, please be careful and ask your vendor which version it is [u want the 2nd] or, if they don't know, ask them WHEN they received it!) The I-ATTY Genesis and ATTY genny rba tank, are both being sold at Fasttech right now pretty extensively. have talked to a youtube reviewer about it. The general consensus is that the FT I-ATTY and ATTY are pretty cool ALUMINUM mods. They are not hybrids. The silver one has a detachable 510 connection genesis atomizer tank, and the colored ones have the same thing, except the body is sealed to the ATTY. The guy I spoke with in e-mail said the ATTY genesis atomizer that comes with it is better than his RSST and its become his favorite genny out of his cheap atomizers. Its a winner for performance, although its not the most durable mod overall. Heck of a steal, the Atty, at just 15 bucks a pop and supposedly performing better than the RSST and aga-T2.

I am guessing that this thing will be very similar. I'm guessing its aluminum. From the pictures it looks like it is chrome plated in some areas. I can't speak on the quality of the atomizer for this Ichybrid, but I'm guessing it WILL work! lol. I was guessing that it would use a spring rather than a magnet for the bottom button, and I guess I guessed right according to Edible's reviews above. The price will probably go down as higher quality genesis clones and china made genesis devices flood the market although it will always be cheaper to buy from the chinese websites that get these devices before the united states vendors do. So if you want one, the price shouldn't be too bad on the chinese websites right now. & I do agree with whats already been said here, there will be many many more coming out in the next 2 to 3 months... So if you are normally broke, & you want a device that won't similarly be broke, wellthen just to be on the safe-side, I'd wait for the reviews of this to start pouring out. We will hear them shortly if there is QC issues. I'm guessing there will be BIG issues with the Ichybrid considering our good friend has already stated that there is a design flaw with the double stacked springs in the firing button. Right now I think the Fast Tech I-ATTY mod is the better buy. & if you must have a bottom firing button similar to the Ihybrid, then I would pick up a Smoktech Magneto right now because its got the magnetic firing button and its catching good reviews.

The question IS: Is the ICHYBRID a REAL hybrid atomizer integrated into the tube by a large connection plate, or is it simply a genesis atomizer with a 510 connection thats been sealed to the body of the battery tube, similar to the I-ATTY mods from Fast Tech?

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Not a fan of the hybrids but this is great news. Now people don't have to get swindled in the classifieds or sit around a computer hitting deal night. Great for my fellow vapors. Also, a big middle finger to the maker of the ihy which is also sweet. Good luck with your overpriced garbage bud.

The maker of the Ihy isn't a bad man. Only he can defend himself and he isn't here right now. But, he makes good mods and he listens to what the people on his facebook page and the people on his page here at ECF wanted. They wanted Limited Edition runs and they got them. That was the business he chose to go into. No one from the US to my knowledge, has chosen to go into mass production of a hybrid mod. None. They are all limited runs. Even those mechanical mod producers that promise to keep shelves stocked, run out. Faceless, the creator of the Ihybrid, pumped the money he made from his LE runs, into new CNC machines, and he promised that his new aluminum Ihybrid pure will be on store shelves at 1000+ units per month. If the Ihybrid Pure is delivered in that high a number of units each month, it will be the 1st mass produced hybrid to come out of the united states, and it will also be one of the 1st mechanical mods to come from the united states that can be purchased new under $150. He isn't the devil. He just does what his followers ask for the most part, and yes, he wants to make $$ too.. But he wants his product in every vapers home too and that has become apparent with his Pure model.

Edible_Funk

Oct 12, 2012
Quincy IL
As far as I can tell, the I-Chybrid is a genuine hybrid. Again, haven't tried much to separate the tube from the bottom portion of the tank, but there definitely isn't room for it to have a 510 connection that's been fused to the battery tube. I'm actually really pretty happy with the atomizer itself though, it hits great. Yeah, it was a bit tricky to get set up due to the slightly recessed deck and ginormous positive post, but it's like totally leak proof with a thick wick. And after removing the weird stacked spring in the switch it's pretty fantastic. Yeah, long throw, but with less resistance it's not a problem for me, and I have no issues with the prongs or whatever that let you stand it upright. I imagine it would be possible to shorten the throw by filing a groove below where the locking C clamp washer is and placing it there. And as far as a kick goes, I don't think so. I did some eyeball measuring, and with an 18350 the spring that holds the battery in place compresses almost completely. I'm not sure if there are different runs of this thing with different sized tubes, but mine won't fit anything but the 18350. I don't even think there would be room for a vapesafe fuse honestly. My protected battery sure doesn't fit in it.

This is the atty the Chybrid uses. http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10005212/1413900-atty-clear-tank-rebuildable-atomizer-set-2-5ml
The bottom portion is different because it has an O-ring beneath the tank for the tank sleeve to sit on, and it widens up to match the diameter of the sleeve. And obviously since its a hybrid its integrated into the battery tube. Pretty sure its proper hybrid, not fused 510 connection. Properly put together, the atty is a beast. Now the aluminum "hybrid" may be higher quality all told, but I'm happy with the Chybrid. It LOOKS high quality, even if it's pretty cheap. And it works really well. Definitely wouldn't count on it being terribly durable though. It's honestly probably going to be my go-to device here on out. Well, until I find a new toy I want!

Last edited:

Lhartman89

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Thank's for the review Edible.

The tube should be aluminum and the atty is more than likely chrome plated brass. Mine will be here tomorrow. Can you post any pics Edible? I really would like to see some of the switch assembly. The iHybrid Pure's switch has a delrin piece that is spring loaded and puts tension on the battery and also pushes the button out to where you can reach it with you finger. Then there is a spring for the button that actually pushes the firing pin into the battery to fire it. I am wondering if the iChybrid is the same way. Here are some pics. The one of it disassembled is how it goes together in order.

What it is like with normally with out a battery in. Notice how the button is recessed up in it.

IMAG1751.jpg

IMAG1754.jpg

What it is like when the battery is in. Notice how the button is sticking out.

IMAG1753.jpg

What it is like when a battery would be in and the button pressed.

IMAG1756.jpg

These are all the parts from left to right.

Firing pin, delrin cup, spring that puts tension on the battery and pushes the button out, switch housing, spring that puts resistance on the button/firing pin (one that fires the device), button.

IMAG1757.jpg

Plumes, I have a Pure. It is an awesome device. The battery tube and atty are one piece of aluminum. I think the LE's are aluminum tubes and the atty is SS.

Lhartman89

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Canal Winchester, Ohio
I got mine as well yesterday. I agree with pretty much everything edible says above except I don't care for the long throw. Mine only had one spring in the switch so I clipped some off to make it not so hard to push.

The issue I have with the throw is my finger has to go so far the prongs around the button scrapes the finger. I do have large hands so might not be an issue for most.

I'm going to see if I can find a way to shorten the throw some how.

The tube seems longer maybe a kick or possible a larger battery can fit.

What color did you get? The pictures that have all the colors and the silver one in it looks like it is 18500 size. It is longer than all the rest but supposedly they only had the 18350 for now. I would rather have an 18500 like my Pure as they last a decent amount of time. I have a feeling these 18350's are gonna die in an hour or so with a sub ohm setup lol.

Edible_Funk

Oct 12, 2012
Quincy IL
I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures, once I do I'll take some for you guys. As far as the size, I think it looks longer because the switch assembly actually takes up quite a bit of room. The switch alone (not counting the insulator mounted spring that holds the battery in place) is just a couple millimeters short of the size of an 18350 itself. The portion of the switch that sits inside the tube above the threads is easily twice the length of the same portion on the Ihy Pure's switch. For what it's worth, I can usually go through about 2 mils or so of juice on an 18350 with a .7 ohm coil before I start getting paranoid and switch out the batteries. Honestly I've never noticed a significant voltage drop, I'm pretty sure I'm replacing the batteries way before they'll actually need to be. I'm sure you could vape the Chybrid dry from a full tank on a single battery. I do notice a bit more kick on a fresh battery, but while vaping it down I don't notice any significant drop. But for me, the small size of the 18350's is more important to me than the vape time, and I don't mind carrying an few extra batteries in my backpack.
As far as whether it's chrome-plated brass, I don't think so. It's possible the deck may be, it's easily the heaviest part of the mod, but the top cap definitely is way too light to be. I'm guessing aluminum. And since it uses the same atty as the fasttech aluminum "hybrid" thingy, if you prefer the looks of that one it should perform just as well properly set up. Seriously, this little guy is a beast, and I'm using the coil and wick that came preinstalled. It's outperforming my AGA-T I'm using on my king e-pipe. And assuming the double spring issue with my switch was a fluke (and an easy one to fix, like two minutes) once the price drops on these guys a bit there really is no reason not to get one. Yeah, it's cheap materials for sure, but it looks high quality, and it definitely performs high quality. Pumping out clouds!

Edit: If the threads of the Chybrid switch and the Pure's switch match up, and that's a big if, it's possible the extra length gained by using the shorter Ihy switch may allow the use of an 18500, if the length of the tube is the same. You'll have to let us know when you receive yours Lhartman. But I think you'll be pretty happy with it as is. Definitely not going to be the same high quality, but it still does the job just dandy.

Last edited:

Lhartman89

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Canal Winchester, Ohio
I got mine today. I got a light blue one with an i instead of the dark blue one with the two tear drops. I guess Yiloong did what they are good at and delivered something else instead of what was ordered from them. It came with a mesh wick wrapped poorly with a 3/4 wrap of twisted 32 ga wire. I re-wrapped the wick with a 5/6 wrap of 28 ga and it works ok. I also drilled out the air hole to 1/16" for a better vape. I don't really like the button as I have to push it kind of hard to get it to fire. I also put a small washer under the e-clip to shorten the throw. I don't know if I really like the positive post of the atty. I don't think it is quite worth $40 but for what you get it works ok. I like the dual o-ring on the top cap and the cover as it gives it a nice complete hybrid look. As far as I can tell the atty is pressed into the battery tube. I think the top cap is aluminum as I looked for brass after drilling out the air hole and it was still silver. It could be SS to, hard to tell. I would say aluminum as the drip tip is really light too and I have a SS drip tip just like the one on the iChybrid and it is a little heavier.

Also, the Pure switch does not fit. It is smaller than the iChybrid's threads.

IMAG1761.jpg
IMAG1763.jpg

IMAG1765.jpg
IMAG1766.jpg

IMAG1767.jpg
IMAG1771.jpg

Last edited:

dmazyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
TX
I can't seem to get a good wick in this thing. I tried X-116 3mm / SS Mesh / Ecowool 2mm it just seems the juice stops right at the deck and the coil drys out. I might have to drill out the wick hole to allow a little room around the wick.

One other thing, I do not like the lip on the deck it makes it very difficult to get the neg wire under the screw.

dmazyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
TX
Well I took a round shaped file and opened up the wick hole to a little over 3mm which fits my ceramic wick much better. The vape is getting better and flavor is now coming through much more.

During this mod I noticed the deck is not brass it looks to be chrome plated aluminum as it was very easy to open the wick hole with just a file.

Edible_Funk

Oct 12, 2012
Quincy IL
Mine is slightly cosmetically different, I ordered from 101vapes. Yeah, it's definitely cheap, but the atty is solid when set up proper. Like another poster said, a tube is just a tube; it's all in the atty. The switch definitely leaves something to be desired though. But it's easy enough to mod by either clipping the spring, or adding an additional "stopper" on the firing pin. I do get the occasional dry hit when chain vaping though. I think it has more to do with the depth of the deck than the size of the wick hole though. Good to know it's easy enough to widen if I wanted to go ceramic. As far as the thickness of the positive post, I think it's supposed to mimic the supposed "vortex" effect of the zen atty. All in all, it is not for the serious vaper. Too cheap, too hit and miss. But for someone who likes gennies, hybrids, and doesn't chain-vape often, it's better than the alternative if only because it's a fraction of the price. Sorry if I seem so pro chybrid, I just really like the thing regardless of it's faults, and I don't chain-vape much. Usually one or two hits, sit a couple minutes, a few more. If I chain-vape I dang near invert the thing, since I have it set up to be leak-proof. Seriously, sat it upside down overnight, and not so much as a drip on the table. I imagine widening the wick hole or using a less snug wick would allow for considerably less dry-hit potential. But it should run for about $20 instead of $40, that's for sure. This might just motivate me to save up and get myself a proper hybrid. Maybe the Pure. How does the overall length compare to the Pure? It's got to be pocketable. I want a genny for out and about. I have my e-roll, and it's good, very good, but not remotely the flavor of a genny. As for protected vs unprotected, well, protected batteries won't fit. Just use IMR, should be ok as long as you're not pushing <.5 ohm. Vape time would be an hour or two tops, if the battery handled it in the first place. Pretty sure 18350s have ~6 amp limit right? Can't push em much past .7 ohm without damaging the battery, and even then, it works it hard. A V2 ought to fix a lot of these quality issues. Hopefully it doesn't come with an increased price tag though. So, we all know I'm overall happy with the thing. How about everyone else?

Edit: Thanks to you guys that posted pics, I'm too lazy to bother figuring out a pic hosting site, etc.

Last edited:

Lhartman89

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Mine is slightly cosmetically different, I ordered from 101vapes. Yeah, it's definitely cheap, but the atty is solid when set up proper. Like another poster said, a tube is just a tube; it's all in the atty. The switch definitely leaves something to be desired though. But it's easy enough to mod by either clipping the spring, or adding an additional "stopper" on the firing pin. I do get the occasional dry hit when chain vaping though. I think it has more to do with the depth of the deck than the size of the wick hole though. Good to know it's easy enough to widen if I wanted to go ceramic. As far as the thickness of the positive post, I think it's supposed to mimic the supposed "vortex" effect of the zen atty. All in all, it is not for the serious vaper. Too cheap, too hit and miss. But for someone who likes gennies, hybrids, and doesn't chain-vape often, it's better than the alternative if only because it's a fraction of the price. Sorry if I seem so pro chybrid, I just really like the thing regardless of it's faults, and I don't chain-vape much. Usually one or two hits, sit a couple minutes, a few more. If I chain-vape I dang near invert the thing, since I have it set up to be leak-proof. Seriously, sat it upside down overnight, and not so much as a drip on the table. I imagine widening the wick hole or using a less snug wick would allow for considerably less dry-hit potential. But it should run for about $20 instead of $40, that's for sure. This might just motivate me to save up and get myself a proper hybrid. Maybe the Pure. How does the overall length compare to the Pure? It's got to be pocketable. I want a genny for out and about. I have my e-roll, and it's good, very good, but not remotely the flavor of a genny. As for protected vs unprotected, well, protected batteries won't fit. Just use IMR, should be ok as long as you're not pushing <.5 ohm. Vape time would be an hour or two tops, if the battery handled it in the first place. Pretty sure 18350s have ~6 amp limit right? Can't push em much past .7 ohm without damaging the battery, and even then, it works it hard. A V2 ought to fix a lot of these quality issues. Hopefully it doesn't come with an increased price tag though. So, we all know I'm overall happy with the thing. How about everyone else?

Edit: Thanks to you guys that posted pics, I'm too lazy to bother figuring out a pic hosting site, etc.

I have been having problems with mine firing but I found out that if you push the positive post down it will work as it is supposed to. I believe the whole thing is made out of aluminum from the weight of it. The Pure is the same height as it. I am uploading a video review of mine right now. It should be done in a few hours. I show how tall the Pure is to it. It's an alright device but not worth $40-50. I think it is worth $20-$30. But yea, the Pure is very pocket-able. I think the efest batteries have a 10 amp limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread