Another 510 Atomizer Complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkJunky

Feb 28, 2010
los angeles
I've already talked to Joye about this and pointed them to a couple of threads in here, and they werent very receptive. They claim its just users with dry atomizers. If we want this fixed, we need to get the major distributors complaining about ...... off customers. jaunty is the main us distributor and TECC is the UK one. Of course, it would help if other major players like TW, cignot, etc also started raising concerns about this issue

FunkJunky

Feb 28, 2010
los angeles
If more distributors start complaining, maybe something will come of it. Ultimately, distributors either have to stop buying from JOYE, or somebody stateside has to develop their own e-cig or 510 compatible atomizer. It would help if the more mechanically inclined users here could figure out exactly what the problem is so we have a more conclusive understanding of the 510 atomizer shortcomings.

SeanRP

Jan 18, 2010
MA
Cignot told me that they also sent a copy of the posts to Joye and told them they were getting complaints from customers. They got the same response from Joye! Okay this is wrong and something needs to be done! What do you suggest?

That's basically what i was going to do, the bad atomizers don't reflect on Cignot, or any other supplier. I think most people who have recieved bad parts from anywhere pretty much understand that it's a problem at the manufacturing level. I am more then a little concerned though that the producer's of these parts don't seem to be listening to there distributors, but i guess I can't say that I'm surprised.

I was never really looking for a fix for this when i made the post, I am just going to buy a few more from somewhere. I just wanted to draw even more attention to the fact that this seems to be a growing problem over the past couple of weeks.

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Would someone with a bad atomizer sell me one or two of them? I'd like to take a look at what the differences are, no promises but I'd love to contribute back to the community by finding a "fix."

I've had two (both of which were new, untested and given to my daughter) that were DOA. Unfortunately, that turned her off to the e-cig experience. I am motivated to find a "cure" for the bad atty disease :)

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Would someone with a bad atomizer sell me one or two of them? I'd like to take a look at what the differences are, no promises but I'd love to contribute back to the community by finding a "fix."

I've had two (both of which were new, untested and given to my daughter) that were DOA. Unfortunately, that turned her off to the e-cig experience. I am motivated to find a "cure" for the bad atty disease :)

Have you seen this report on the bad Joye attys? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-burnt-taste-all-my-attys-22.html#post1088689

I think it's post #214 by Sun Vaporer. He dissected several and made a definitive conclusion.

Rambosmurf

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
I have bought 3 different 510 kits from 3 different vendors. The 1st was the disposable ones, then a started kit 2 weeks later and another kit for my wife this week.
The disposable attys (wider shorted Atty) are at 2.7 ohms, 2nd kit (have rings) 2.8 ohms and the new ones at 3.3 ohms (no ring, higher atty).
The new ones will glow red hot on 1 side of atty, hit like crazy for 3 drags, then almost no vapor, refill cart, works great again.
The disposable one's and the 1st kit are still going.
I am getting very frustrated at this point with the 510 and was going to try a 901 but I here they are the same atty guts. I'm lost now. And Pis*ed.

SeanRP

Jan 18, 2010
MA
Have you seen this report on the bad Joye attys? http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-burnt-taste-all-my-attys-22.html#post1088689

I think it's post #214 by Sun Vaporer. He dissected several and made a definitive conclusion.

Sun basically got to the heart of the issue there. I don't have a lot of time to tear things apart but I'm probably going to do the same thing he did with the bad ones I received, at least I'd like to at some point. I did notice a bad taste, but I was more looking at the fact that these don't get cherry, no matter how long I hold my manuals down, not even during a dry fire.

As far as the battery's go, it's a good thing to check. I did that originally with 3 different manual battery's all less then a month old, they each produced the same result. HOPEFULLY, in inferior mesh is just a random blip and not something that were going to continue recieveing 8-o

Sandstorm

Feb 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I purchased a TW Tornado about a week and a half ago. Both my attys started giving off a foul burnt taste yesterday. My adult son purchased his Tornado the same time as mine and his attys are giving off the same foul burnt taste. It happen the same time mine did! I don’t think it’s a coincidence. I sent an email to Totally Wicked today and hopefully they will swap out these defective POS’s! Very frustrating.:mad:

Frostmonkey

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
Joliet, IL
I really don't think quality control is the issue when it comes to the (seemingly) premature failure of atomizers. Instead, I believe we are suffering the effects of planned obsolescence.

Jany, DSE, SLB, Kanger, etc... all roughly know how long their atomizers or cartomizers will typically last. Could they be made to last longer? Undoubtedly. Will they eventually be made to last longer? Maybe...if there's enough profit to be made.

Last edited:

SeanRP

Jan 18, 2010
MA
I came on here to try and find an answer to the problem of my dead (and new) atomizers! I just got a 3 pack last week from CigNot, and 2 are dead. I'm in NO way blaming CigNot, but rather JoyE.
So I guess i'll go check the other threads and see what the deal is...

Same as me Bad, i bought them last week as well. The ladies at Cignot have been looking into it from what I've heard.

bobtow

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
Wallaceburg ON. Canada
I was down to my last atty once and in desperation I sat the atty on it's base and with a small screwdriver. I used a small pliers for the hammer. Punched inside the atty where the bridge meets the body, on the off chance the ground connection was broken. Surprise, surprise! that was in late Nov. The atty is still working today. Maybe I just got lucky! It is worth a try!

cyb0rg

Jan 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The burnt taste is from residue on the heating coil.

I took a few attys apart and they consist of 2 copper wires poking through a circular ceramic plate which holds the weld between the copper wires and a heating coil all wrapped in a sort of "foil" that feels a little like miniature brillo pads. I am not sure what type of metal the coil itself is made of but it's definitely not copper (a glowing heated copper coil will emit gases which you probably don't want in your lungs). When you look into your atty you are seeing a metal arch that snaps into place around the ceramic plate and is also wrapped in this metallic meshy brillo type stuff. Inserted under this little metal arch is some sort of fibrous material, I assume it is there to hold the liquid, but I remove these because it contributes to bad taste and besides I have no idea what its made of and I don't want whatever fumes it is burning going into my lungs because almost all these "fibers" I removed were half burnt (you can remove them by gently poking a toothpick under the little metal arch and twisting it around to get the fibers out, or by removing the metal sleeve around the atomizer and poking them out).

It's a pretty simple design (in fact it's the exact same design as a light bulb, but without the bulb), but it makes me wonder if the ceramic or the coil itself is giving off any sort of fumes I should be worried about. There is no doubt in my mind that there are better (and safer) ways to boil liquid than exposing it directly to a metal coil.

By the way, if you want to take one apart yourself, the gold part is jammed into the metal sleeve (not screwed). I used two pairs of pliers and just pulled it right out (some of them need a good twist or two to come out), but you will still have the ceramic plate stuck inside the sleeve so be careful or you will break the wires. You can simply poke a toothpick or something else in there to push out the ceramic plate (wrapped in that wire mesh stuff I mentioned earlier).

As far as cleaning, I don't think there is a hell of a lot you can do about residue on the coil, since the coil is made from a very thin tiny wire and pretty much everything that can clean residue from metal is probably going to leave chemicals in there that will KILL YOU if inhaled a lot. I would guess the only real option is to use clean juice that doesn't leave much residue when it is boiled into vapor. I would imagine some of you guys who sell juice could use that as a selling point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread