Another dump on our parade via the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
I wanted to take a moment to share this
www. nytimes .com/2014/03/24/business/selling-a-poison-by-the-barrel-liquid-nicotine-for-e-cigarettes.html

Not sure if it's been posted here yet. More scare tactics and fear mongering. These non stop news articles really have me thinking the FDA is about to launch a massive throw down. Rather than just complaining I am going to make a suggestion. If you can leave a comment on these "news" articles please do. It could be a doubled edged sword. Response usually provokes the media to run more of the same. However, other readers may see your comments and take them into consideration :vapor:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was just...really a terrible article, and another example of how far the Gray Lady has fallen.

"Enticing children" my white fanny. They're designed that way to entice adults. :) And the article intentionally tried to blur the distinction between e-liquid that's used and DIY bases, which are not used and where the bottles contain some extremely hefty warnings on them.

Leaving out a bottle of concentrate is asking for trouble. We know that.

Not to mention whipping up the big Chinese demon because lord knows those Chinese don't care what they export, they're just trying to poison our pure bodily fluids or something. Get real. Monitoring may be lax, comparatively, which is why I don't buy Chinese liquids. Besides, I DIY so I do know what's in there.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
This article is just ridiculous. Sure there will be a rise in incidents involving nicotine considering there are now thousands and thousands of people vaping. It just shows how they have tunnel vision.

If the guy that injected himself with nicotine didn't have nicotine handy he would have injected something else. A person wanting to commit suicide will find a way.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
not surprised at all that The New York Times would run that story.
just a few days ago a person was pulled over and given a ticket for using his e-cig well driving in upstate new york.
he took it to court and the judge ruled in favor of the cop..
New York is a really messed up place, unless you own a big business then the tax credits and low rates make it totally worth it. XD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Here's the thing: if he really wanted to die, as you said, he would have found a way. If you inject *coca-cola* intravenously, it might very well kill you! But there *must* be a reason why nicotine is available "OTC" in concentrations up to 100mg, 10%, and it seems pretty obvious what that reason must be: if reasonable care is taken, it's not dangerous! "Reasonable care" does NOT include injecting yourself with it! If you injected ASPIRIN directly into your veins, would that really be any safer???

And anyway, who's to say it was the nicotine that killed him? Maybe he's just stupid enough to have included AN AIR BUBBLE! That's right, an AIR BUBBLE! directly into your veins CAN KILL YOU!

I think it really is time to stop using the lowest common denominator of sanity to judge everyone. Just because there is a very small percentage of the insane and emotionally disturbed, why must we all be labelled as such?

And I have to say, I really don't believe any of these stories anymore. I think it's what you said, just one of the status-quo-seekers, feeding the gullible salivating media with anything that will sell a few more issues and advance the point of view of the status-quo-seekers. I wonder when people are going to wake up to the fact that the "news" is ANYTHING BUT! It's just an excuse, a filler, to sell advertising -- the so-called news agencies have no actual interest in informing the public, they're just pretending that's what they're trying to do, to sell more ads for their audiences to look at -- that's the entire point of every newspaper, every "news" website, every magazine, every talk show, and every last thing that's on television and radio -- including the news! -- informing or entertaining is not their point at all, it's just to keep us tuned in so they can show/tell more advertising.

Bah humbug. I refuse to drink the koolaid.

Andria

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
KODIAK™;12627594 said:
I stopped reading right after this:

I guess if nicotine wouldn't have been available, this suicidal dumbass would've said, "Crap! Now I gotta live!"
So I probably shouldn't laugh, because suicide hurts a lot of people. Not just the person who kills themselves, but their family members left behind....Yet I did snicker at that part of the article. If a person is going to do it, then they're going to do it. I know this, because I've watched 1,000 ways to die ;)

"Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States"

Seems like 480,000 is more than 1 by my math. But I never really liked math.

That is exactly why smoking deaths are left out of these types of articles :) Call me a conspiracy theory freak, but I strongly believe the powerful people in control of our society would rather see smokers dead. We're profiled when we are smokers, and even lumped in as e cigarette users. Everyone knows the smoker demographic is poor stupid people :rolleyes: At least according to government statistics. Well, now I am aggravated better vaporize some DIY 6 MG I made with organic non GMO VG. Then sip on some organic green tea, because everyone knows nicotine users are too stupid to be health conscious :vapor:

graffiti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2014
CT
New York is a really messed up place, unless you own a big business then the tax credits and low rates make it totally worth it. XD

New York: The California of the East Coast.

Call me a conspiracy theory freak, but I strongly believe the powerful people in control of our society would rather see smokers dead. We're profiled when we are smokers, and even lumped in as e cigarette users. Everyone knows the smoker demographic is poor stupid people

I'm 33 and since I was a little kid, it was pounded into my head that smokers are bad (second hand smoke) and stupid for killing themselves. You'd think that would have kept me from smoking, right? Not so much. Both my parents were smokers and one still is.

Non-smokers are taught to think "better that they die now so that they don't burden my wallet with their medical bills down the road."

Last edited:

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Moved to Media & General News

Also, broke the link.

Sorry about posting in the wrong area, and breaking the link is probably for the best :) It is a rather hokey article.

graffiti: I am the same age as you, and remember all of the anti-smoking stuff from school. Unlike you I come from a long line of smokers. Started smoking at 12. Cigarettes have taken down a large amount of my family over the years. Even seeing that I continued to smoke :facepalm: Knowing that the fact I am still alive, and people are angry about it makes me warm and fuzzy inside :wub:

drummerskey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
little birdhouse in your soul
Realistically, there should be a campaign by as many vapers as possible on every forum we can to get 20K signatures on a specific petition sent to the White House. According to the site, the president has to comment on anything that gets that many signatures and if some good and accurate information is there.............who knows.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
The comments are pretty depressing too. Every time someone points out (correctly) that the number of reported nicotine poisonings is absolutely miniscule in the grand scheme, some blowhard chimes in with, "E-liquid is worse because it comes in fruit flavors!"

And then these same blowhards pat themselves on the back for their superior critical thinking ability, with a healthy side order of, "everyone who disagrees must be a tobacco-company shill." Say what you will about the New York Times; they know their audience. My only consolation is that I don't think their audience is representative, at least on this particular issue.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Realistically, there should be a campaign by as many vapers as possible on every forum we can to get 20K signatures on a specific petition sent to the White House. According to the site, the president has to comment on anything that gets that many signatures and if some good and accurate information is there.............who knows.

Petitions haven't really phased the politicians. I do have an idea, but need to ponder it a bit longer :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread