Another dump on our parade via the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
Fox news just had (11:55 AM) the most damning report I have seen so far. It was based on the article in this thread but reported that there were 1,350 calls to Poison Contol in 2013 concerning ecigs. Also reported is that one individual died from "rubbing up against something with a 10% nic solution". Reported that study out of San Francisco last week reports that e cigs in no way aid in efforts to stop smoking cigarettes. And, of course, Dr. Segal said they must move quickly to regulate and they should not be avalaiable without a doctor involved.

I have been a big supporter of Fox news but this finishes me.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Fox news just had (11:55 AM) the most damning report I have seen so far. It was based on the article in this thread but reported that there were 1,350 calls to Poison Contol in 2013 concerning ecigs. Also reported is that one individual died from "rubbing up against something with a 10% nic solution". Reported that study out of San Francisco last week reports that e cigs in no way aid in efforts to stop smoking cigarettes. And, of course, Dr. Segal said they must move quickly to regulate and they should not be avalaiable without a doctor involved.

Well, at least FOX has Gutfeld. I hope they turn him loose again on this nonsense. Problem is, he's only on at 3AM. :(

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA

They had a report on the morning show the other day that annoyed the crap out of me too. Hasselbeck shaking her head and waxing maudlin about children and flavorings, because she (and her ilk) have to fill 4+ hours of time talking about dozens subjects with which she only has the scarcest acquaintance.

So it's annoying, but it's also sadly understandable -- not just on Fox, but everywhere. The alphabet-soup nazis have an enormous advantage: the media's so overexposed and undereducated, so overwhelmingly peopled with shallow dilettantes, that anything released by a superficially credible source will be repeated as if it's fact.

EDIT: On the upside, someone's paid the local sports talk radio station to run pro-ecig commercials every ten minutes or so.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
They had a report on the morning show the other day that annoyed the crap out of me too. Hasselbeck shaking her head and waxing maudlin about children and flavorings, because she (and her ilk) have to fill 4+ hours of time talking about dozens subjects with which she only has the scarcest acquaintance.

It's why the near 'redundant' and so ridiculously obvious: 'the children are our future' line works so well. Our schools use it all the time, even when they are the ones that are dumbing down the children and creating robots (rather than thinking human beings) who will react to the same PR lines and fantasies when they're adults........... unless Reality intervenes :) Which btw, is why Tina won Survivor and Elizabeth H. (and Colby) didn't :laugh:

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
It's why the near 'redundant' and so ridiculously obvious: 'the children are our future' line works so well. Our schools use it all the time, even when they are the ones that are dumbing down the children and creating robots (rather than thinking human beings) who will react to the same PR lines and fantasies when they're adults........... unless Reality intervenes :) Which btw, is why Tina won Survivor and Elizabeth H. (and Colby) didn't :laugh:

Ha, I didn't know that.

They really need to bring back Gretchen Carlson, by the way. Hasselbeck's voice is like nails on a chalkboard -- and she's way too thin. Every time I pass the TV in the morning I feel compelled to shout, "Get that woman a sandwich!"

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Well this ended up being a week of non-stop media splatters. As far as the children, there were a few mentions on the rise of autism. 'Cause that really isn't as big of a concern as e liquid, right :rolleyes: ? Our kids are eating tons of "foods" that are filled with chemicals or are straight chemicals, and not really food at all. That's not a big deal right? Or the lead in toys, because we haven't any reports from customs letting us know one way or another... Must mean every thing is ok? How about all the beauty products pushed on women? It's ok to smother your self in tons of chemicals, because one must look good at all times even while pregnant. I was fine with walking around knocked up with roots showing, and no make up. No nail polish. Even changed my soaps and shampoos. Perfume can even cause birth defects. Think I am crazy? Go look it up. That's what I did years ago thinking some wacko wanted me to walk around looking gross lol. Yeah it's disturbing, but we aren't going to talk about that stuff. It might make sponsors angry and loosing money is so much worse. E liquid makes a good scape goat. We are a class of adult subjects, and in the case of e cigarettes: willing test subjects. Yet, we can't make this decision on our own? We need to be saved from our selves? What about the children indeed, and I am not talking about e cigarettes ;)

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
Another part of the problem was touched on above. News used to be on three channels and had 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes to one hour in the evening. They only had time to talk about somewhat important stuff. Now we have multiple channels that need content to fill up 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. They will jump on anything. There was also a time when journalists (remember those) would not dare use a story unless it had been verified. Their reputation and credibility was at stake. Well, that's an issue for another thread.

Heard this morning on Fox that 4,100 people were treated for injuries sustained while texting and WALKING (don't remember the time period). How many did you say were treated for nicotine posioning?

crtman4

Apr 14, 2014
West Michigan USA
Another part of the problem was touched on above. News used to be on three channels and had 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes to one hour in the evening. They only had time to talk about somewhat important stuff. Now we have multiple channels that need content to fill up 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. They will jump on anything. There was also a time when journalists (remember those) would not dare use a story unless it had been verified. Their reputation and credibility was at stake. Well, that's an issue for another thread.

Is the local news I watch here, the rest is a splatter of net and cable. I really dislike most cable news because it is so slanted towards the big city they are all living in and I would run from.

I can get a huge buzz from one monster drink, much larger than any cig or ego can/ever has given me.
Must be you can smoke {OTHER STUFF} with no filter where/when its legal and not worry about health issues?
Glad nobody ever died from beer or wine or...etc, etc, etc...and without injecting them even.

Just the media practicing being stupid. I saw that doctor guy he is usually not that way, I was surprised he does not have a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread