Another dump on our parade via the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherwood865

Feb 14, 2014
Knoxville, TN
Here is the info about the guy who committed suicide by injecting the e-liquid:

Case 432. Acute nicotine parenteral: undoubtedly
responsible.
Scenario/Substances: A 29 y/o male was found by EMS to
be in cardiopulmonary arrest with a suicide note indicating
that he had intravenously injected himself with eliquid.
Past Medical History: Depression
Laboratory Data: K 2.4, Glu 401, Cr 2.0, WBC 21.8, CK
977, troponin 0.34, and lactate 7.2. UDS was positive for
amphetamine.
Serum acetaminophen, ethanol, ethylene glycol, methanol,
and salicylate were not detected.
Clinical Course: He was intubated and resuscitated in the
ED, with a GCS 3, but developed seizures resistant to treatment
with lorazepam, phenobarbital, phenytoin, and leviteracetam.
Head CT was unremarkable. He was transferred to
a tertiary care hospital where the seizures were controlled
with propofol. Therapeutic hypothermia was initiated, but
he never regained consciousness. He was diagnosed with
anoxic encephalopathy and declared brain dead on Day 5.

Autopsy Findings: An autopsy was not performed as
he was an organ donor. Comprehensive serum drug testing
done on specimens collected on presentation detected
only lidocaine, which he received during his resuscitation,
nicotine 2000 ng/mL, and nicotine ’ s primary metabolite,
cotinine 2100 ng/mL.

Taken from: https://aapcc.s3.amazonaws.com/pdfs/annual_reports/2012_NPDS_Annual_Report.pdf

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Realistically, there should be a campaign by as many vapers as possible on every forum we can to get 20K signatures on a specific petition sent to the White House. According to the site, the president has to comment on anything that gets that many signatures and if some good and accurate information is there.............who knows.
You mean like this one.... https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...igarettes-accessories-and-associated/RQLBYRsd
We were already snubbed by our White House.

Rar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2011
Champlain Valley, NY

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Step back & think about what this piece of garbage article is attempting to convey...

"e-liquid is BAD.. You & your family are much better off buying pre-filled carts (made by Big Tobacco & taxed at the retail level by Big Government)"

Sounds like BT is losing customers by the truckload every day & having a tough time trying to corner the nic base market..

And they will try anything & everything (like this article) to either slow, stall or block the e-cig movement so it benefits them, and only them

Of course, Big Pharma & governments at all levels are their partners-in-crime..

It's all about the money, money, money...

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I think the root of the problem is that Antz sees that they are going to have to start all over again. They worked long and hard to make cigarettes $8-$10 per pack and to make us stand outside in the rain fifty feet away from any door to smoke them. To them that was a victory.....they won. Now, what looks to them like smoking is coming back big time and currently they can do little about it. Without government backing they have no power at all. They see it's going to cost them millions more in political contributions to squash vaping and they are pis*ed. It took years to get where they did with cigarettes, but now they know what works and what doesn't so thing will probably move quickly. Get ready for many more articles like this.

Just my $0.02

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR

Redmax

Jan 24, 2014
Savannah, GA, USA
Be the voice on reason. I just posted elsewhere on the forum that two FB friends shared the link to "poison" and spent two hours of back and forth debate with the original posters and third party arguments on this scare article. In the end they all conceded it as media hype and scare tactic. The truth will win if we stick up for it with reasonable debate. Each one turned will turn someone else.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Realistically, there should be a campaign by as many vapers as possible on every forum we can to get 20K signatures on a specific petition sent to the White House. According to the site, the president has to comment on anything that gets that many signatures and if some good and accurate information is there.............who knows.

Two of those petitions were generated in the past. The first just got advanced to the FDA with their response being what they already were saying and the second, which has to be a few years old now, never got a response. Thank you White House for caring for you constituents. That among many other things made me vote against the change we elected the first time.

sharchakra

Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Mo
www.artbyshar.homestead.com
Maybe this is why one of my fellow associates told me yesterday that on the news he "heard" that people were being poisoned by drinking alcohol and vaping ( he said "smoking those things")...I just laughed and said, " and everything you hear on the news is true and proven right?" He said, "I'm just glad I gave up smoking" and I said, "me too about a year and half ago!" Another associate just laughed and walked away...there are about 15 of us now vaping at work, outside with the smokers.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
It is to my great displeasure that I am sharing this so called "news" again. This morning the Today show is taking this garbage and running with it :rolleyes: I really do believe the FDA is gearing up for a smack down. This is just way to prevalent in the media right now.

You mean the liberal government is using the liberal media to further its agenda? You have to be kidding.

jdrewry

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
New Jersey
You know what I like about articles like this? The fact that I can use the author's ridiculous statements against them.

I've had I don't know how many people (the majority of them smokers) who at least ask about the article's validity. It's enough for them when you tell them you've been vaping for x amount of time, haven't come close to poisoning yourself, and that you were able to walk away from the analogs for good. I ask them how much money have they spent in the last 6 months of cigarettes. I ask them if they've tried the prescriptions, the gums, the patches--whatever was prescribed to them by their doctors. The minute they said, "None of that stuff worked", I give them a chance to try my vape. I haven't had one person say, "No thanks; I'll stick to smoking". Instead, they want to know more about vaping.

I think articles like this have the chance to INCREASE the numbers of vapers out there, simply due to so many people NOT believing what they're reading. I'll listen to someone who I know, or at least take the time out to explain something, than I will garbage articles like this.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
It is to my great displeasure that I am sharing this so called "news" again. This morning the Today show is taking this garbage and running with it :rolleyes: I really do believe the FDA is gearing up for a smack down. This is just way to prevalent in the media right now.

I thought I heard or read that this was supposed to be an anti-smoking campaign month. It appears to be an anti-vaping one instead. I've also seen an increase in BP cessation product ads on TV this month.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa

That's the way it appears to me. However, one unexpected development is that some of our previous enemies are now questioning the efforts of the hardcore prohibitionists. Hopefully more will see and speak out against the sensationalist reports some are making.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
It is to my great displeasure that I am sharing this so called "news" again. This morning the Today show is taking this garbage and running with it :rolleyes:
Yes. Because the Malaysian airliner "hijacked by aliens" story has run its course.

I really do believe the FDA is gearing up for a smack down.
I took inventory of my DIY gear last night. About to order a bucket o' nic. I have enough flavors to open a snow cone factory.

I'm by no means a pessimistic guy but it's coming folks. The local city bans just aren't happening fast enough and local governments just need a little more false validation from a Federal Agency. That's all it will take for politicians to simply throw up their hands and give in. (Even the proponents of e-cigs). Also, timing is everything. The 24/7 media has a lot of time to fill before the 2016 campaign coverage begins.

And where are all the B&M's in this? And the e-tailers? Why don't they unify in this? Are the profit margins that low? (I really don't know).

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
....I think articles like this have the chance to INCREASE the numbers of vapers out there, simply due to so many people NOT believing what they're reading. I'll listen to someone who I know, or at least take the time out to explain something, than I will garbage articles like this.

I agree. This is an unintended consequence of the ANTZ propaganda blitz that I find particularly hopeful. I also hope that more smokers will be moved to investigate ecigs by these articles than will be turned away from ecigs by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread