Another fantastic bottom feeder to add to the mix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FisherPal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2009
Campbell River, BC
Just thought I'd let everyone know about another vendor who carries beautifully crafted, wooden mechanical bottom feeders. Happened to stumble on them quite by accident. He carries the Du Bocage and Minotaur box mods. Here is a link to a video review of the Du Bocage ... Du Bocage "tradition" by kazulinhomods.com - YouTube I bought the Minotaur because I don't need a mod with a kick option and was intrigued by the use of magnets in this model. Been vaping it all night while my Reo Grand sits idle. Not that I don't still love that one, too, mind you. This wood model is a bit bigger than the Reo and took a little getting used to but maybe the wooden mods are just like that anyway. I really don't know as this is my first wood bottom feeder mod.

Anyway, the pricing is certainly right and they truly are a beautifully crafted mod. So ... another one to consider for all you BF lovers. Here is the link where you can see them ... here. I am terribly lame at uploading photos but the ones on the site give a very good look at them - especially if you enlarge them.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I bought the Minotaur and was very unimpressed.

Ended up selling it for 1/2 price in the Classies.

The seller didn't defend his product at all. Never responded to this email.

Hi Rui,
I just posted a thread about your Minotaur.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...otaur-gaia-edition-portugal.html#post11339288
So far it's not very positive, so I feel it's only fair to hear your side of this and post your responses in the forum.

1st The Bottle- The bottle seems permanently attached to the brass tube. Unfortunately I don't have this size bottle so for the moment I'm stuck with just the one. A ring of brass either goes through the rubber tube or is holding it in. I'm not sure. But it looks like the rubber hose is permanent. On the bright side the tube is extra thick and there is very little excess.

Am I correct that the tubing is permanently attached and can't be pulled out.? What do you do when the tubing wears out?

2. I was noticing leaking when I squonked. Turns out that I have to have the Reomizer 2 Very tightly screwed in. One flaw is that there is no space in the catch cup between the Reomizer 2 and the Cup, I believe that if liquid drips out the air hole in the Reomizer 2 that it goes down the side instead of the catch cup.
I've had some liquid leak down side and I'm trying to figure out why.

The Problem seems that because the Reomizer 2 is wide and the catch cup narrow. I could be running into 2 problems.
A.. If the REO is not screwed in the Squonk is going up the sides into the well which has room
B. I drilled a bigger hole in the Reo and sometimes liquid sputters out side but the fit is so tight that the liquid bypasses the well.
Any comments on this could it be fixed with a washer, do you have a larger catch cup option? Any thoughts

3. When you shake the unit the battery Rattles.
Do you have any plans to fix this?

4. The bottom prong is not very wide and doesn't always make contact. Even though black wire is on bottom and red on top, I'm may endup operating the battery upside down as that way it seems to make the best contact.
Jury is out on this one. I'm finding that on the ncr18650pd if I push button very hard always makes contact, I'll have to re-check the Panasonic cgr18650ch
Any suggestions about a fix for this

5. My Ohms testing
Minotaur
Ohms .43
Panasonic NCR18650PD Fully Charged .8 V-Drop
Sony 30 Amp Battery Fully Charged .7V-Drop
Panasonic NCR18650 at 3.8V .67 Vdrop

This is a lot of V-Drop in Sub Ohm Vaping, is my test findings consistent with yours? IE is this typical performance, I wouldn't want to put a false negative on your mod because I received a defective unit.
Is their any suggestions that you have to lower the resistance.

6. Potential Hazard
The Minotaur has a dangerous one. When I was testing and removing RBA while holding my metal nemesis by accident it brushed the outside metal button and the catch cup at the same time. Wham it sparked. Then I duplicated it by taking a screw driver and touching catch cup and button at same time. Wham it sparked. Hard Short. For safety the catch cup should be delrin or the top of the button coated with nonconductive material. The potential to short this APV while in a pocket with change or a key ring exists.

Are you aware of this Safety Issue? What are your thoughts.

7. Design Flaw?
When I screw in the Reomizer 2 the whole inside assembly may move and a potential to twist out the wires seems to exist.
Am I correct?

8. It doesn't fire all the time.
Sometimes I push the fire button and it doesn't fire. Then I shake the unit, the battery repositions and it fires.
Why is this? any fix?

FisherPal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2009
Campbell River, BC
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with your mod! While I do agree that changing the bottle isn't as easy as with, say, the Reo Grande due to it being kind of squeezed in there, with my 'girlie-hands' it's not too bad. I have a supply of 5 ml sample bottles that fit in there nicely so can fairly easily change them. But I can see that a guy with bigger hands might have a struggle with it. I only use a hybrid atty so have no issues with there either. And, yes, I agree that the battery does jiggle around and make some noise but that doesn't bother me. I was looking for something easy to use and it fits the bill for me. Also, I don't know what is going on with the manufacturer but can only assume that maybe he isn't in the business anymore as I had occasion to try and contact him to ask a couple of questions and ... damned if I know where he is. This was after my initial 'rave' post. Based on that alone, I would have to downgrade my thumbs up. If you can't reach the supplier, it is just a tad disturbing. Anyway, I am not anticipating any real problems (but then again, who does?) so hopefully this mod will last me a good long time. And I'll just enjoy it while I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread